mtbr member
    Muddytire,
    Great story!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkparchitect View Post
    BikeBreakingJake,
    Great list!
    thank you.
    I am just a follower there... mtnbikerfred came up with it... I am just sipping the same kool-aid now.

Had a great run last weekend and took my cousin to school on the trails.... The only suck part ... is I blew out my left ankle Monday at work!! Good news my SS will be great for rehab

mtbr member
    I will not take credit for "The Reasons" list myself. I am merely the profit. A dropout of the order Velominati (eff those leg-shavin' gear-lovin' roadie scumbags). Unlike their "Rules", Our "Reasons" is an open document to SSers. Add what you want, but make them "Good Reasons", inclusive and enlightening.

"The Reasons"
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerfred View Post
    I will not take credit for "The Reasons" list myself. I am merely the profit. A dropout of the order Velominati (eff those leg-shavin' gear-lovin' roadie scumbags). Unlike their "Rules", Our "Reasons" is an open document to SSers. Add what you want, but make them "Good Reasons", inclusive and enlightening.

"The Reasons"
    I BELIEVE!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    For some (like me) it's almost unexplainable - building my first SS now with a Giant Iguana

mtbr member
    looking forward to seeing how the Iguana comes along...what year is it? i miss my 1991 model

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    it's a disc - mid 2000's I think. Not one of the vintage models. I'd post some pics now but don't have minimum 10 posts under my belt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

"The Reasons"
    dont forget about it makin you stronger! haha

SS XC Junkie
    I did my 2nd race ever, 2 years ago. I had an SS that I rode for fun but I was racing on a FS AM bike. At the time I couldn't imagine racing on a SS and yet I was trying to do XC on an 32lb AM bike. Anyways, it was a local race and my 2nd race ever. One of the guys was an older guy and he was on an SS. I thought "no threat there". Not only did he walk away from me on the trails, he dominated the race as well as the series. I found a new respect for SS. I did my first SS race this year and I am hooked. I sold my 'geared S-works race bike' and now I'm building a 2nd 'race SS' bike. I'll probably run gears on a couple of the marathon races but from now on I'll only race the SS/Open class.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I got a 96ish Gary Fisher Mt. Tam given to me from my uncle. He had it in his garage for 10 or so years and never rode it. Has Rock Shox Judy XC fork that still seem to be brand new. Apparently it was $1500 when it was new and its really light.

Problems: The shifters both suck, the rear won't shift off the smallest cog, the front is sloppy but it works. Is it possible to ditch all this stuff (and some more weight) and convert this thing to single speed? Would I need a new rear wheel?

Would I need a new crank set as well?

Also, the brakes are terrible. From what I've read, Shimano XTR V brakes are the best post style brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by essinem4130 View Post
    I got a 96ish Gary Fisher Mt. Tam given to me from my uncle. He had it in his garage for 10 or so years and never rode it. Has Rock Shox Judy XC fork that still seem to be brand new. Apparently it was $1500 when it was new and its really light.
    Great bike to start out with if it fits you.

Problems: The shifters both suck, the rear won't shift off the smallest cog, the front is sloppy but it works. Is it possible to ditch all this stuff (and some more weight) and convert this thing to single speed? Would I need a new rear wheel?
    Yes, ditch that stuff. No, you can use your wheels and some spacers or a SS conversion kit.

Would I need a new crank set as well?
    No, but a SS chain ring will work better. just take the granny and big ring off for now.

Also, the brakes are terrible. From what I've read, Shimano XTR V brakes are the best post style brakes.
    You might just try new pads and scuff up the rims before throwing down money for new brakes.
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    How would I be able to adjust the chain tension? Or would I need some sort of aftermarket spring tensioner?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by essinem4130 View Post
    How would I be able to adjust the chain tension? Or would I need some sort of aftermarket spring tensioner?
    Yes. There are many creative ways of doing this. Either some sort of tensioner or find the "magic gear ratio" for that frame (where you can just barely get the wheel in the dropouts and the chain is not to loose or too tight).
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yeah, I guess with the removable axle that would be possible. Whats a good starting gear ratio for a 26" SS? I live close to some fairly steep trails and I'd like to be able to ride through them.

And any idea how much weight I'm going to lose by going SS?

mtbr member
    32/18 is a good starting place. You should run the tallest gear you can "clean" most of the hills where you ride on.

3-5lbs depending on the bike and components.
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    32/18 is a good starting place. You should run the tallest gear you can "clean" most of the hills where you ride on.

3-5lbs depending on the bike and components.
    Wow I didnt think it would be that much. The bike only weighs 24.6 stock, If I could have a 20lb front suspension bike that would be pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    I should have prefaced that with YMMV. You're probably starting on the lights side, so maybe not that much. My Black Cat is 22lb and change with a 3.2lb suspension fork and fairly heavy tires. If you started with a 30lb bike, steel chainrings, cheap (heavy) components, you could expect to lose more. The bottom line is that once you get this thing sorted it's going to climb like a monkey with it's butt on fire....
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yeah from what I've read this thing has some pretty good geometry for climbing. Can't wait to get it all sorted out

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    doin one of these on my mongoose d40r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dontheclysdale View Post
    I did my 2nd race ever, 2 years ago. I had an SS that I rode for fun but I was racing on a FS AM bike. At the time I couldn't imagine racing on a SS and yet I was trying to do XC on an 32lb AM bike. Anyways, it was a local race and my 2nd race ever. One of the guys was an older guy and he was on an SS. I thought "no threat there". Not only did he walk away from me on the trails, he dominated the race as well as the series. I found a new respect for SS. I did my first SS race this year and I am hooked. I sold my 'geared S-works race bike' and now I'm building a 2nd 'race SS' bike. I'll probably run gears on a couple of the marathon races but from now on I'll only race the SS/Open class.
    same here in many ways...full sus Giant...heavy....but geared well....too many things went wrong at once...HAD to use my GT Peace 9er (which i had bought to try out the rigid ss 29er experience in one gulp) which i had barely used...

what it came down to was this: i became stronger faster...in three races i finished 2nd twice and 5th (in the last hardest race of the year) and finished 3rd overall in my lowly age/race class, but i could NOT have done it w/o the GT ss....i finally got a feel for the 32x18, wisely switched to 32x20 for that last crazy race (Bear Creek....PA)...

now i have to move up, so my dilemma is: race by age class or bike class...that is, race 40-49 sport geared guys on my ss.....or get truly whupped racing the dedicated ss'ers! either way, it will be fun and brutal.

one thing for sure: the 32x20 is great going up mountains that are rocky....but steep loose is tough out of the saddle...too much spin...32x18 has more traction. i'm starting to get the picture of what a quantum leap 2 teeth make.

the kool-aid tastes so much like beer...

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Next move, get a 34 front and the 34 18 is right between the two current ones and also gives you a higher one to play with.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was browsing Rivendell's catalog and came across this piece on their SimpleOne bike. Some pretty good reasons to SS. I like the duathlete line!!

SimpleOne

"Some notes on riding a single-speed, for the benefit of those who haven't done it.

It's not just harder, it's different. You give up a lot by not being able to shift, but you get some things in return for that sacrifice:

Having no options means having no pressure to shift, or be in the right gear. You see the hill ahead, and you know the gears are in your legs, so you just go. You grunt more, yes, but it is mentally relaxing to not even have a shift option.

On flat terrain, you go easier. Why spin like the blades of a Waring blender? The gear and terrain dictate the speed, which is always proper as long as it feels good.

On steep hills, you have to get off. This is good for you. Rather than grunt like an overgeared fool, you get off and hoof it. It's almost, but not exactly, like being a duathlete!

Bike variety is a good thing, especially if you ride the same routes all year long. A different bike makes the ride different. Each bike makes it easier to appreciate other bikes even more. When you ride a one-speed, not shifting teaches you that you don't have to shift as much as you've been shifting on your 27-speed. When you really sweat it out on the one-speed, you really appreciate the gears on the 27-speed. "

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Why?

Bought a nice lightweight Boardman Pro HT in April. Rode it 3 times. Converted my Kona Cindercone to SS cause I thought I would "give it a go". Haven't ridden my Boardman for six months, converted it to SS this week because SS is so freaking cool.

I just hope my legs can keep up with my ego now

I beg you to try it, I liken it to clipless pedals, once you try it there's no going back
    MTB SS, trail running & road TT
    It's all in the mind

inner peace to make peace
    like SS for mud riding.
    The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards & its fighting by fools.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

I love it!

I know I'm just repeating everything that has been said, but man oh man, I love riding single speed. It's an experience that nothing else can compare to. I feel like a little kid just being able to hop on my bike and go, and think about nothing else but staying on top of my bike. I don't think I would ever consider going geared on trails again until my knees give out on me.

Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast