Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    nobody? really?

i guess i gotta go ride instead of trollin. luckily i just picked up my jabberwocky (no gear plugs for me thank you) from the bike shop.

big apples for the mother f-n win.

XC/Trail
    Apr 2009
    ilmfat your posts make absolutely no sense... care to clarify..

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    i thought i posted 3 times, so deleted 2. turns out it only double posted, so it deleted both.

it was my explanation of "why SS?".

plus an F-u at gemini6 for calling me elitist. i guess he actually got to me.

i was hopin someone could copy paste from an e-mail notification for my first (double) post, as i thought it was pretty good. meh.

and i put big apple 2.35's on (finally true) outlaws on my jabber. only one street ride so far, but it was waaay nice.

sorry people. im a drama queen sometimes.

crunx
    I actually got my first real single speed set up recently (converted). My whole life since I was a kid I rode bmx bikes, then when I lived in South korea I bought a geared road bike, which was okay for the time being, but I really wasnt into it. Now living in Finland I decided to buy an old Finnish made Tunturi and converted it SS and I can tell you that I am already addicted to SS trail riding. I mainly went SS because I am really bad with keeping a straight chain line on geared bikes and I just think they look stupid.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Because I'm getting frustrated shopping for a FS 29er and SS are so much cheaper? Still on the fence...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Go the SS route

What's holding you back? The SS is just as fast as the FS and much more fun! infact I was at a race this weekend and the SSer took second and fouth overall. They are fast and fun!

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    +1. love me some SS.

mtbr member
    Why SS? Found a $10 bike on Craigslist with no pic or description but went to buy it since it was $10. Found that it was an SS with zero problems. Turned out to be a Trek 850. Not sure if that's a good or crappy bike but it does what I want it to do. That's reason enough to ride SS for me.

Still not sure why he sold the bike for so cheap though.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Could be stolen. Lots of stolen bikes end up on Craiglist for little$.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

why single speed

I live and ride in the Colorado mountains, some of our trails are great ss rides, you get up amazingly fast and get to work on your spin on the way down, that being said, I do still ride my full suspension on the trails where it is appropriate, neither is better, just better suited to certain rides/trails. I love the single speed and will still love and ride my other bikes as well.

Cormac
    I love ss for mountain biking but since i am an adventurous dood, i like to ride from trail to trail, maybe do a loop starting at my house, ride on road to one trail, ride down on road to another then loop back to my house. Its hard to ride road on a single speed bike geared for steep climbing. It is also hard to train with, because it is hard to not go really hard on a single speed because you have no choice. those are my only complaints.

Not all ss are light either. I ride a redline monocog and its about 27 lbs. its was 450$ as a whole bike, but still. I think single speeding is also about exploring the roots of mountain biking and biking in general.

Oh yea and it makes you look like a badass.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    mountaindudespike; one thing you can do is fix up a bike with 2 sets of gearing. At one time I had my Sir9 fixed up with a 32 and 34 on the front and a 19 and 17 on the rear. You adjust the chain for the 34 17 combination and then it will be just a little loose on the 32 19. You can ride the 34-17 to the traiil then just drop the rear wheel enough to swap the chain at the trail. This will work with any combination as long as the total teeth count remains the same and the large ring in the front is the one to adjust the chain to because the smaller one will always run a little looser.

You didn't say what size wheels you run but for example if you have a 32x21 currently on a 29er (I would consider that as gearing that I would use for very steep stuff) You could buy a 34 and mount it where the bash guard is currently and a 19 and space it to have perfect chainline with the new ring. That would give you gearing of 44 gear inches in the woods and 52 gear inches on the road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    For the Joy and Simplicity of the ride. Just got back from a short ride through the fields around our place. Sun shining, grass up to the top tube, no drive train noise and the present moment feeling that comes with riding one gear. After riding fs for years I am amazed at the clarity of mind one gets when you forget about shifting. Something that cannot be explained only experienced.

Cheers,
    Straw
    Ease & Flow Where Ever I Go

Cormac
    I like SS also because you dont have to worry about what your pacing is, because you dont even have a choice! When I ride my geared FS, i am always shifting around trying to decide what gear i should be at.
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    great thread!
    I rode before my memory starts - just early pics.
    My Army days in the 80's I got a Bianchi from the factory in Italy, and a Peugeot moutain bike from the local economy when I was stationed in Europe. Both got ridden - one as a tool, one as part of a group for something to do.

In 2004 I walked into my local bike shop to get a new tube for my son's BMX racer. There was this Specialized P1 there. It didn't leave with me on that trip....but it did by the end of the day.

couldn't get the idea of it out of my mind. so simple, so free. I knew it was 'me' before I swung a leg over.

I'm probably not the best fit for it - as I'm 6'4" tall but I make it work just fine. My son, his friends, and their dads and I - we ride trails some around here...some are pretty famous like the Womble. No one waits on me too much...and I'm better than some with their gears.

I like simple stuff that works hard and isn't fussy. And I can't remember the last time I worried about a gear change.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I met a dude on the trail one time and i asked him for directions since this particular trail was like a maze. He said no problems...follow me and I'll show you around.

This guy was a pot bellied hippy looking dude with a long ponytail that showed a lot of gray. As i fell in behind him we started to roll through the woods and he was giving me a cool tour of the trail...he was part of a group that helped build it...it was neat to hear the history behind the names of the trails and how it all came together.

After a while i couldn't help but notice that this Buda looking hippy dude was a machine. He flowed through the woods so effortlessly and quietly that i thought for a moment he must be riding an extremely expensive bike. I was clicking away trying to find the right gear and i was huffing and puffing trying to keep up. He was soooo quiet that all i could hear was his tires softly rolling...almost like they were carressing the forest floor. I looked down to see what type of deraileur this guy was running because his was WAY better than my clunky POS. To my SHOCK he didnt have a rear derailleur. I almost wrecked my bike trying to steal a second glance...and then a third.

W...T...F? Buda is kicking my ever loving arse on a single speed! Now i wasnt in the best shape at the time....but i was far from the worst either.

This guy sounded like a ghost...there was no way you'd ever hear him coming. I thought the quietness of it was really cool. We don't have ny huge climbs around here so it woouldn't be a killer to ride one here. It's been in the back of my mind ever since. I imagine I'll own one some day. And then I'll go back and see Buda...and then the student will become the master.

mtbr member
    Lol! I want some of whatever you took.

Long live the ASR-7
    I've been getting a lot of questions from the guys in the group lately. I'm the only one on a SS. They just don't understand how I can make it up some obstacles and climb certain parts the way I do. All I can tell them is that when you only have one speed to work with, you KNOW how to use it in every situation. When a nasty climb starts and they are in the wrong gear or try shifting in the middle, I just hammer down and blast past them. It requires no thinking, no maintenance and no BS excuses for equipment not performing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Singlespeed for life

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Singlespeed for life

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerfred View Post
    Reasons for riding a SS bike:

1) It will make you stronger.

2) The bike is lighter

3) you can "feel the trail" better and learn how much torque you can apply

4) It will make you stronger

5) If you choose to ride rigid, you will learn to pick good lines and be smooth or you will die

6) Maintenance is a breeze.

7) Humiliating your friends on squishy geared bikes is fun

8 ) It will make you stronger

9) The geometry is better for climbing "out of the saddle"

10) You'll never throw a chain (you may break one though) again.

11) SS bikes are actually "3 speeds". Sit, Stand, or Walk....

12) It will make you stronger.

More reasons:

13) You will never break a 1/8" chain.

14) You will save money.

15) You will never ghost shift again.

16) You will save money.

17) It will make you stronger.

18 ) You can build a stronger wheel (less dish).

19) You'll know when a chain is worn, it will sag. (non-tensioner setup)
    #7 could not be more true after last weekend.

Made a great climb out of the saddle on the technical "Overlook trail" of Lynn woods and was ahead or right with my geared buddy. I am so sold that i have roped in my cousin to be my next victim and believer tomorrow.

I love it and will probably never ride my FS rig again...

banned
    Mar 2004
    I only have one problem with a SS...no rear suspension. But there are chain tensioner to make a FS a SS. I usually only use about 2-4 gears in the back and back and forth on the 2X up front. Just can't stand a hardtail is all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikernc69 View Post
    Just can't stand a hardtail is all.
    Ever thought about a Lenz Milk Money?
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy View Post
    I don't get it. With different cogs and gear ratios it seems like having a 21, 24, or 27 speed would be superior to a singlespeed. So what is the benefit? Is it only weight? I have a bike I could convert but I am having trouble justifying it.
    Simplicity & ease of maintenance!

mtbr member
    BikeBreakingJake,
    Great list!
    thank you.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast