Thread: Why ride SS?

banned
    Dec 2011

Why ride SS?

I'm just curious. Knee pain, no high or low gears, etc. WTF?

mtbr member
    We're all just really stupid.

Schipperkes are cool.
    It has been really hard for me to ride a single speed.
    I find it a lot easier to ride a single ratio bicycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    It's a great way to meet people and I'm a people person.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Why not?

one chain loop
    don't blame SS if you are born with weak knees.

who TF needs low and high gear anyways?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    because were poor and that's all we can afford.

you can go back to the drivetrain forum now and discuss your derailleurs

Combat Wombat
    This question has been hashed out before, go to the top of the SS forum....

A singlespeeder's story (Why not Singlespeed?)

mtbr member
    I enjoy riding a single speed bicycle. What more do you need?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I am in graduate school for another year and living on government loans. Converting to singlespeed have saved me great costs in terms of bike maintenance.
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

mtbr member
    So we can tell absolutely anybody and everybody during a ride or a race that we're riding a singlespeed.
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member

I'm in for good

This pretty much sums up the SS deal. Monster Magnet - Theres No Way Out Of Here - YouTube
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

banned
    Dec 2011
    I am not impressed by your performance

The need for singlespeed

Why ride SS?

Because it's there.
    -George Mallory

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

agreed!

I agree with all the reasons above, so now I want to give my 2 bits on the knee pain issue. All the cyclists I know with knee pain either have gears and like to grind it out on climbs by staying in the saddle, or single speeders who use too big a gear and still like to grind it out in the saddle while climbing.

I've been SSing exclusively for 15 years now, mostly on the 24 hr and longer circuit, and I have no knee problems, knock on wood. As a trained physiologist my take on this issue is those who are constantly out of the saddle, standing on the pedals, give their knees a break from all the grinding. Ask/look around and I think you'll notice the same.

Thanks for letting me rant...

mtbr member

Its the most fun...

you can have on a bike!.
    EAST COAST
    CLYDESDALE
    DREADLOCKED
    STEEL RIDER

mtbr member
    and not to mention some of us are gluttons for punishment...especially those whose SS rides are rigids.

I ride an SS rigid! *beats chest*

and yeah, we're probably stupid too!

mtbr member
    + 1 stiff all over !
    Suicide by single speed. Work in progress.

local trails rider
    What knee pain?

... anyway, I need an excuse for my low average speeds. SS works perfectly well for that.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Dive Bomber
    Knee pain?
    In my case is only back pain and lower arm pain because I have to pull that 710mm bar and at the same time mash the pedal so I can climb those hills.

Also my thigh is hurt everytime I hammer and I have to ride in the afternoon to remove those lactic acid. Fat burning zone just doesn't work for me when I am too excited.

mtbr member
    Because I like to pass gearies on climbs.

Apr 2007
    Neg rep for the troll.

But + rep for everyone else. But this pathetic rep system won't let me rep a few of you again and I'm capped out on reps for 24 hours. Lame-o.
    Last edited by p nut; 12-11-2011 at 08:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Because I like it, I find the idea of my dust collecting geared bike very boring.

AZ
    banned
    I ride for me, not some internet troll.

mtbr member
    Because I am all that is man, that is why I ride SS. And to embarass folks on 2k+ bikes with gears on the climbs.

I also agree, it's more fun, no fussin with shifting, you just ride.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I refuse to answer because if you have not tried it you will not understand.
    2011 Kona unit with some carbon.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    because i am lazy,,,

hella lazy.
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Dead Legs
    Because I suck, and am stupid..

.. oh and don't try it, it sucks and is stupid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    read my signature.... 'NUFF SAID!
    Gears give me headaches

banned
    Dec 2011
    Hmm...

1. I use my gears all the time, they're like tools at easy reach.

2. I like riding fast. I haven't found a single speeder yet that can keep pace with me on the flats, or on downhills.

3. You can't get as good of a workout with one gear. When Lance was training for the TdF that his coach had him up his cadence to increase his cardio, versus riding at lower RPM's and building up lactic acid.

4. If you're dead set on riding in one gear, why not just get a 1x9/10 and leave it in your preferred gear? If you're that much of a weight weenie about the added grams of a derailleur and shifter, you probably shouldn't be riding a bike in the first place.

mtbr member
    Nobody likes a person who talks about how cool they are, whether they ride SS or geared bikes. The SS guy doesn't care that the geared guy can pass him on flat ground. And the geared guy doesn't get embarrassed when they're passed by a SS rider going uphill. Unless of course those people are the ones who like to talk about themselves and feel really cool about their awesomeness.

Ride SS to be different, just like everyone else. Don't forget your iphone either.

mtbr member
    you just won't get it until you ride one I guess. It just makes cycling that much more fun. Not to mention less drivetrain headaches, which I enjoy. Even a nice driveline like the 1x9 on my 29er still has issues more often than any of my SS's.

You can sit here and bash all day long and try to provide evidence that it's stupid, but I'm letting you know now that anyone who is an SS'er won't give 2 s*its.

You like gears, cool story bro, I like one gear. That's cool too. You don't have to understand it or like it, but just coming in and bashing on it, without seeming to have ridden one extensively kinda makes you a tool, just saying.

Let's all hug it out and be friends. We all like mountain bikes here, one gear or several. It's just like the 29er haters who call them stupid without ever really riding one. Or people who hate on anything else in the cycling world.
    -Eric

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TallcanStan View Post
    Hmm...

2. I like riding fast. I haven't found a single speeder yet that can keep pace with me on the flats, or on downhills.

3. You can't get as good of a workout with one gear. When Lance was training for the TdF that his coach had him up his cadence to increase his cardio, versus riding at lower RPM's and building up lactic acid.

4. If you're dead set on riding in one gear, why not just get a 1x9/10 and leave it in your preferred gear? If you're that much of a weight weenie about the added grams of a derailleur and shifter, you probably shouldn't be riding a bike in the first place.

If you manage to not get banned, you may give DC a run for the "winner" of the most red chicklets. 15 posts and you have almost caught him already. Impressive.

P.S. Since you've already hit the 29er and SS forums, how about a trifecta and start a thread about guns or dogs or dogs with guns?
    Last edited by AZ; 12-11-2011 at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member

I don't like feeding the trolls, but here's my take on the statements above:

3 - This may be true, but this isn't how regular people use gears. They shift to make it easier to get up hills and easier to travel distances quickly. You will expend more energy riding a SS unless you go out of your way to be in the wrong gear all the time on a geared bike.

4 - Fair point. I've been riding around on my 3x8 for a season without shifting. The main reason I want to go SS over my current setup is that I hate the chain slapping sound from the derailleur whenever I hit any kind of bump! It's sooooo annoying!

Bike Snob
    Hmm...

This along with the other 15 post that make up your body of work, (I have read most of them) put you in the running for the biggest tool in the forum.

Keep it coming and maybe you can make it to the top.

one chain loop
    its like going to a real man's steak forum and insisting that your vegan diet is superior.

wait 'til you hear uMarty's brain talk..
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

banned
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb81 View Post
    Nobody likes a person who talks about how cool they are, whether they ride SS or geared bikes. The SS guy doesn't care that the geared guy can pass him on flat ground. And the geared guy doesn't get embarrassed when they're passed by a SS rider going uphill. Unless of course those people are the ones who like to talk about themselves and feel really cool about their awesomeness.

Ride SS to be different, just like everyone else. Don't forget your iphone either.
    Singlespeed = dinglespeed

banned
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    If you manage to not get banned, you may give DC a run for the "winner" of the most red chicklets. 15 posts and you have almost caught him already. Impressive.

P.S. Since you've already hit the 29er and SS forums, how about a trifecta and start a thread about guns or dogs or dogs with guns?

mtbr member
    For me, SS makes me use my energy in the right places.

The perfessor
    Quote Originally Posted by tcapri87 View Post
    I am in graduate school for another year and living on government loans. Converting to singlespeed have saved me great costs in terms of bike maintenance.
    just ahead of you in grad school - one semester / one class left and I'm finished.............I've had a few $ during this time but kept my upgrades to a minimum - bought a SS 29er rigid for $50 + trade............
    Rigid 29er Ti SS / 29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Actually SS is 3 speeds: pedal, push or puke!

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    I agree with all the reasons above, so now I want to give my 2 bits on the knee pain issue. All the cyclists I know with knee pain either have gears and like to grind it out on climbs by staying in the saddle, or single speeders who use too big a gear and still like to grind it out in the saddle while climbing.

I've been SSing exclusively for 15 years now, mostly on the 24 hr and longer circuit, and I have no knee problems, knock on wood. As a trained physiologist my take on this issue is those who are constantly out of the saddle, standing on the pedals, give their knees a break from all the grinding. Ask/look around and I think you'll notice the same.

After banging my right knee on a rock via a stupid, clipped, lo speed fall 2 wks ago, I went ss'ing today.
    I hurt way more sitting than standing, as expected. Range of motion standing, for the knee, is way less than when seated. Forces distributed on a broader set of muscles and joints.
    Spinning lower gears could be great for achieving an ideal cadence/power ratio. Also for aerodynamics. Poor knees and back, though.
    Why ss? I answer, why so many gears?
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    Hmm...

I use all of my gears too. I just have one gear though.

I know a few guys that would make you regret those words

None of us are L.A. I really don't care what his coach recommended to him. I am not racing the TDF. Last I checked, the TDF is still all road racing, no mtn biking.

Ride a dedicated SS bike. It is silent. No clatter from the deraileurs. No chain slap. No shifter cables pinging against the frame. It is also efficient. Very low drag in the drivetrain.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Karma Vampire
    Daamn @SmallCanStan got himself banned (poet ?). He had me convinced and I was starting to list my SS on eBay. Whew, that was close.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by molly1 View Post
    Actually SS is 3 speeds: pedal, push or puke!
    I thought it was four - sitting, standing, walking and wheezing
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Pale Rider
    First time I have stepped in this forum, because I rode a borrowed 29SS today. All I can say is WOW. So much fun!

I guess it was partly the feeling that I was a kid again on a red Raleigh BMX'er. Just get on and pedal. When you hit a hill, pedal harder. Simple, easy.

I'm hooked.

p.s. WTH do trolls do that for? Never really figured it out. Are they just trying to see how fast they can get banned? Some people REALLY need to quit suckin' on Mama's tit I guess.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    To get to the other side.

balance_fit
    Jul 2010
    If SmallCanStan got banned, sorry for him. Maybe he still cares to find out why. Should he go back to his numbered posting and re-read from #1 to #4, that's where the why and how is. There's where many of our reasons for riding SS, and even rigid are also found.
    For all of us singlespeeders, we have our reasons. And we should feel good for it. We don't need, or care to go 'trolling' or getting bad reputation or bad vibes for starting inflamatory threads in other rider's way of enjoying a bicycle.
    Even so, I feel all respondents care to, respectfully and within a good vibe scenario, share the great experience that ss'ing brings.
    May all be well
    Simple, not easy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Talking to babies who whine about how they can't do this or that because they are in the wrong gear or X and Y didn't shift properly or how they can do this and that coz they got gears...SS make it simple...Shrug and ride off.

maker of trail
    Hmm...

Another thing to try is go to DH/FR forum and tell them just how awesome 29ers are and how its the future.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post

Ride a dedicated SS bike. It is silent. No clatter from the deraileurs. No chain slap. No shifter cables pinging against the frame. It is also efficient. Very low drag in the drivetrain.
    This. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Niner Air 9 Carbon
    Karate Monkey SS
    Misfit DiSSent

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Because I enjoy punishing myself.

Bro Mountainbiker
    I hear TallcanStan wears womens clothing on the weekends.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

how much for your sister
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post

Wow Pat! Long time. I met you at 24 hours of Devils Head in 99. I was crewing for Steve Fassbinder. And again the following year , same place when I was racing. Remember the mudfest Glad to see your still kick'n.

To the original poster. If it weren't for Pat Irwin, there probably wouldn't be an MTBR Singlespeed Forum. He was one of the first. Google his name.

Sounds like he's still able to walk.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    Masochism!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Because you can do the same ride on a SS, that you do on a geared bike, but you'll do it faster on the SS

Rider
    Nov 2010
    SS / Geared --> Blondes / Brunettes
    Try them all, ride them all if you can -- They are all fun in different ways

"de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum"

mtbr member
    Instantly more attractive to the opposite sex

mtbr member
    I hate chainslap, and I want as little stuff on my bars as possible. When I see some of those XC bikes with all the stuff on the bars (shifters, suspension lock-out, dropper post command) it makes me wanna puke.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    Minimalism... like dmx1 I hate cluttered bars and cluttered bikes, give me the fewest cables and gadgets possible. The older I get, the more gears they keep adding, and the more entrenched I get. I now find myself swearing off clipless pedals... gears... brakes...showers... I think I'm just becoming a Luddite. Just kidding about the brakes and showers, but I have become quite the curmudgeon for my mid twenties.

smalljeans
    because I'll never be as cool as tallcanstan
    ...don't worry it's coming...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You guys got lured by a troll!

That being said, the reason why I ride SS is because...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic29er View Post
    SS / Geared --> Blondes / Brunettes
    Try them all, ride them all if you can -- They are all fun in different ways
    I like the way you think!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Peace, quiet, and no chain slap!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I used to ride gears practically my whole life and then a few years ago my buddy converted his bike to ss, loved it then bought a GF rig. I would ride with him thinking hes just being a hip dude with his SS. As we rode i couldnt understand how he always kept up a pace ahead of me as im going back and forth with gears. By the time i got the right gear hes around the bend, up the hill, etc. He explained he is focused on riding and where hes going, pumping the cranks and being more alert to the trail. I converted my old bike and became a true believer. I nailed hills easier than i did on a geared bike because it was either i get up the hill or I dont. No fussing with deraillers. I then converted my main bike with a white industries eno hub and never looked back. I am better rider now then i ever was with a singlespeed. And another benefit, while my friends breaking parts, etc on the trail i just breeze by. As for crazy hills, if i cant get up them with momentum no one makes fun of me because i have one gear, so its all good.

mtbr member
    I kind of harken it to a homing missle. there are fire and forget missles, an SS is like ride and forget. No fussing around with stuff, or thinking about gears or your bike, you just keep pedaling. I can't wait till my KM get converted to SS here next week when the rest of my parts come in....
    -Eric

'Tis but a scratch
    I ride single-speed for diversity, challenge, fun and simplicity. I ride alone 90% of the time that I ride. So, I'm certainly not doing it to impress anybody or to get an ego-trip when I pass other people on climbs. I converted one of my bikes to single-speed after repeated derailleurs got chewed up over a short period of time. I've since stripped off front and rear derailleurs, shifters, casette and cables and thus reduced the amount of maintenance required. Furthermore, when I go back to the geared bikes I own, I can eat up the hills.

thecentralscrutinizer
    "Why ride a SS?"

It's like most things in life, it boils down to being a preference.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Why not?
    Life is all about learning. If You don´t try, You´ll never know how it is.
    It´s great by the way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Because its there