Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Why did i go to the Redline website, why??

Just when i thought i had the SS thing all figured out, turn the Fila into a SS on the cheap with a Singulator, i follow a link in some SS related thread (don't remember which one) someone had posted to the Redline page

i like steel frames
    i like durable bikes and can deal with the heavier frame (i *am* a clyde, so the frame's *NOT* the heaviest thing on the bike after all...)
    the simpler the better is my mantra

up until now, i'd been drooling over a Surly 1x1 (still am, actually), but when i followed the link to the Redline Monocog, well....can you fall in love with a bike at first sight?

it's a simple steel framed bike that looks like you could run it over with a steamroller, dust it off and continue riding, and best of all.....it's *reasonably priced* even *with* shipping, heck, it's about one paycheck's worth....

hmm, i'm not interested in that roadie i promised myself for when i get into shape anymore

must...resist...urge...to....buy....now

from what i've gathered, the only real "drawback" is that it uses 110mm BMX hubs, so it's difficult to install disc brakes (not that i would.......yet), but aren't BMX components built more solidly than MTB stuff, built to take a pounding as it were?

what are the drawbacks to the Redline Monocog, there's *gotta* be a catch, this bike is just *too* perfect for me......give me some reason *not* to buy it....
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits, it says "OOOOOOOO"
    Peter, those are Cheerios

Gears, we don't need no steenking gears!

Samsonite Tester
    The rear hub spacing is 110mm . The standard cassette hub is 135mm. So when you look to up grade your stock rear wheel there are fewer options.

Other than that minor detail its a nice bike at a reasonable price. Get it ! ride the pistol out of it.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Retro Grouch

The near perfect Monocog

Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    The rear hub spacing is 110mm . The standard cassette hub is 135mm. So when you look to up grade your stock rear wheel there are fewer options.

Other than that minor detail its a nice bike at a reasonable price. Get it ! ride the pistol out of it.
    As long as you stay with V Brakes you're good to go. Also, unless things have changed there are two monocog frames, aluminum and steel; only the aluminum has disc tabs.

I figure some day Redline will build the Monocog 135 and they'll have so many orders Kona and Bianchi will have to stop making Single Speeds

1G1G, Brad

SS Clyde 29er

heya fellow big bro..

Ive had a 2003 monocoq for 2 yrs now and it has it's +'s n -'s. Overall Id have to say set your expectations properly by recognizing that:

(1) it's a great value for what you get, and that
    (2)you use it for what it's intended.

These 2 points are key. I am an ocassional Clyde Cross Country racer and ride hard enough on practice rides to break frames, cranks, bottom brackets, seat posts, etc.

With my 2003 model, (the 2005 may be better, i dunno), the items i had to replace were:

-the wheels (lasted about a week before i wore out the rear hub and loosened all the spokes) with upgraded custom built wheels (Phil Wood hubs),
    -head set, destroyed the cheapy non-sealed bering one on Lock 'Em up trail near UCSC,
    -bottom bracket lasted almost thru one winter,
    -pedals of course
    -seat
    (-you may want to add a suspension fork)

so if you ride as hard as me look at forking over enough money to cover the bike's weak points. i just wish a few bike companies would sponsor riders like us to torture test stuff...bring on the schwag!

point 2, it aint no thoroughbred! if you intend on just hittin the trails and having a lil fun, great bike! however, if you intend on ever racing it, or if you climb a lot of hills, you will begin to hate it because of its weight.

so all i can say is don't be too awestruck by the low sticker price. put some serious reflection into what kinda rider you are and how u ride before finding out it may not be the bike for you.

I just purchased a GF "The Rig" and have to say minus the seat and pedals, it's the bike ive been looking for. i can climb out of the saddle more comfortably, the big wheels r great, the folk alone is worth $500 (paid $1,000 for bike) and all the other components are solid. the only drawback is im not used to riding an aluminum hardtail frame. the Reba fork performs great but, the back end on the rough down hills kind beats me up a little, even outta the saddle but, hey...IMMA CLYDE, i can handle it

anyway, think about it.

blame me for missed rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evel Knievel
    i don't think there's a lack of bling bling BMX hubs.

if i remember correctly CK started their BMX hubs even before they started their SS hubs.

blame me for missed rides
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    As long as you stay with V Brakes you're good to go. Also, unless things have changed there are two monocog frames, aluminum and steel; only the aluminum has disc tabs.

I figure some day Redline will build the Monocog 135 and they'll have so many orders Kona and Bianchi will have to stop making Single Speeds

1G1G, Brad
    no the cromo has disc tabs as well this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Buy the frame build up from there

Quote Originally Posted by MacTech
    Just when i thought i had the SS thing all figured out, turn the Fila into a SS on the cheap with a Singulator, i follow a link in some SS related thread (don't remember which one) someone had posted to the Redline page

i like steel frames
    i like durable bikes and can deal with the heavier frame (i *am* a clyde, so the frame's *NOT* the heaviest thing on the bike after all...)

up until now, i'd been drooling over a Surly 1x1 (still am, actually), but when i followed the link to the Redline Monocog, well....can you fall in love with a bike at first sight?

it's a simple steel framed bike that looks like you could run it over with a steamroller, dust it off and continue riding, and best of all.....it's *reasonably priced* even *with* shipping, heck, it's about one paycheck's worth....

hmm, i'm not interested in that roadie i promised myself for when i get into shape anymore

from what i've gathered, the only real "drawback" is that it uses 110mm BMX hubs, so it's difficult to install disc brakes (not that i would.......yet), but aren't BMX components built more solidly than MTB stuff, built to take a pounding as it were?

what are the drawbacks to the Redline Monocog, there's *gotta* be a catch, this bike is just *too* perfect for me......give me some reason *not* to buy it....
    I would suggest buying just the frame and fork and then building it up yourself, more expensive, but many of the stock parts on the steel monocog are not the best. But you could also buy it complete and buy stuff as it wears out or breaks.
    Have a good rear wheel made with a decent bmx FF hub and then buy an atom lab disc brake adapter to turn it into a disc hub, buy a decent pre-buildt disc front wheel. The steel monocogs do have disc mounts on them now as well as the aluminum one. Give up thinking about a light steel monocog, ain't gonna happen, under 24# only if you spent some money and then other parts might be braking, but it's not going to be the frame or fork.
    I just put together the aluminum monocog that I painted Cobalt blue and gun metal grey, it is taking the place of a 2001 steel monocog cause I wanted disc brakes, and a slightly smaller frame, and I got the frame for $150 from web cyclery. Theres a picture put up by blowout about 2or so days ago. I am running it as a heavy duty rigid bike with Dh tires and a Kona jump fork,and profile BMX cranks, will get the disc on hopefully this weekend, since I bought the new disc front wheel from a friend tonight.
    It's a good bike but don't expect the stock wheels, BB, and some of the other parts to last very long. I've heard a lot of bad about the cheap Hs but I used mine on the monocog for about a year and then upgraded and I put that same HS on my single speed cross check and have been running it on the cross check for about 3 years, including western
    WA cross racing, it isn't sealed so it is best if you make sure it is adjusted well and re-grease or overhaul it at least 2 a year . It is finally feeling slightly notchey on the surly, but it isn't that bad, still quite useable. The stock pedals were the first thing to go, the bearing just got too wet and were destroyed after about 2 wet rides, the BB also didn't last too long.
    good luck

formerly Giantxc
    My first SS was a Redline Monocog. The advice that has been given so far is good, I'd just add that its handling falls heavily on the stable/slow side. I felt like I had to use too much brake and work it way too hard to get it through the twisties. This made it awesome in very technical terrain, but a slug in local races even more than the weight. As a result, it wasn't the bike for me and I traded it in for a 2000 Haro SSX. Of course, there's nothing wrong with that design philosphy, but its not what I like.

Oh, and like others have said, don't worry about the 110 spacing. Penty of good BMX hubs that you can use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    See, this is exactly the kind of info i was looking for, people with real-world experience on the bike, it's a big help, and has tempered my enthusiasm *slightly*

i don't plan to race, it'll be a recreational bike only, so weight isn't an issue, and i'm not ready for technical trails yet, so the heavy handling isn't an issue, and i highly doubt that the bike will be used for jumps

yes, i'd be looking at the steel frame, as i prefer steel, so i lose the ability to go disc, big whoop, that's a non-issue, none of my current bikes have disc either....

the things that concern me are the rims wearing out/de-truing and the bottom bracket wearing out quickly (i assume you mean the guts inside the bracket that holds the pedals/cranks/chainring, right?, bottom bracket failure doesn't refer to an actual frame failure, right?

i think i found a LBS that might have the Monocog, they do carry Redline bikes, if tey do carry the Monocog, i may just have to brave the traffic today and go out for a test ride

if in fact, they do have it, it raises a whole new dillema, as i'm a cheap bastard, and i'm trying to keep down the number of bikes i have....

the Raleigh Record SS is probably going to be bought by my co-worker, so that's one bike down.

if in fact the LBS has the Mono, i won't *need* the old Fila anymore, but it has sentimental value as my first *real* MTB, and i'd feel guilty selling it, but it wouldn't make sense to keep around a bike that'll rarely be used, especially if the sole purpose of keeping it (turning it into a SS) goes away

i'll be keeping the Trek 4500 just to have one gearie for the days i want to "cheat" and take it easy....

then again, there *is* that old Stumpjumper with semi-vertical drops at the pawnshop that i was thinking of setting up as my next project bike, and it's a lot cheaper than the Mono, but it *might* need a tensioner if i can't find the "magic" gear ratio, and i'd prefer to not use a tensioner if i can help it.....

then again, i could always just sell the paintball marker, and use the proceeds to pick up a Singulator and slap it on the Fila, forget about the Stumpy and the Mono, and stop spending money i should be using for something else....

hmm, that idea has merit....

must think more seriously about my options
    Brian, there's a message in my Alpha-Bits, it says "OOOOOOOO"
    Peter, those are Cheerios

Gears, we don't need no steenking gears!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTech

i like steel frames

It's a great bike to introduce you into single speeding (steel frame version). Check out my profile and you will see the upgrades I have made. I do agree, it is a great idea to just order the frame and fork and then upgrade away. I love mine with all my heart, but I only buy complete bikes, and would never buy one again because of the way they come spec'd from the factory. When you get used to good components it's hard to go back, that's why I'm looking at either a Bianchi GUSS, Fisher Rig or Kona Unit next.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I was in much the same situation as you. In fact I always am. I always am looking at new bikes, frames, parts, counting my money's, checking prices, etc. Then all of a sudden I came to a realization.
    Learning to be happy with what you have is good.
    Applying this realization is better.

Ride what you have, make whatever modifications you want to make, save your money, you will be a happier person when all is said and done.

Seeking possessions will make you lose your soul.

It's all about the ride and the experience of the ride anyway, and no matter how much marketing executives in buisiness suits say that their bike will make the ride better, if you love riding your bike, then the ride will be good no matter what.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Monocog

"Also, unless things have changed there are two monocog frames, aluminum and steel; only the aluminum has disc tabs."

They have changed. I got a steel Monocog over the winter and it has disc tabs. I built it up with garbage bin parts so my has v-brakes. The whole project probably cost less than $250.

I agree with the comment above about the handling. In tight and twisty trails I feel like it's sluggish.

One of the biggest drawbacks is the 110 spacing. I was wondering if you could swap out the axle on something like a Paul Word hub or if the hub shell is too wide.

Since I've really enjoyed the past 6 months of SS'ing, I've been debating whether to piecemeal upgrade it or drop some coin on a new frame and fork and start over (maybe pass the Monocog on to a friend). The rear hub limitation and the handling has me questioning whether it's a good platform for upgrades.

I'm considering an IF (big bucks, no whammies) or a Salsa Juan Solo (light but at what durability cost).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

fork choice affects handling

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Burgess
    "Also, unless things have changed there are two monocog frames, aluminum and steel; only the aluminum has disc tabs."

They have changed. I got a steel Monocog over the winter and it has disc tabs. I built it up with garbage bin parts so my has v-brakes. The whole project probably cost less than $250.

I agree with the comment above about the handling. In tight and twisty trails I feel like it's sluggish.

One of the biggest drawbacks is the 110 spacing. I was wondering if you could swap out the axle on something like a Paul Word hub or if the hub shell is too wide.

Since I've really enjoyed the past 6 months of SS'ing, I've been debating whether to piecemeal upgrade it or drop some coin on a new frame and fork and start over (maybe pass the Monocog on to a friend). The rear hub limitation and the handling has me questioning whether it's a good platform for upgrades.

I'm considering an IF (big bucks, no whammies) or a Salsa Juan Solo (light but at what durability cost).
    When I just put together my new aluminum monocog I used a kona jump fork, a take off from a kona scab FR hard tail, like the p2 but a little beefier, I used this fork cause it has disc tabs and is steel, another good side product of fork choice is that it has a 410mm axle to crown height, compared to the 435mm lenght of the origanal monocog, that is 25mm shorter, basicly 1inch, so it will quicken the handling by about 1degree, and that improves it very well, perhaps slightly twitchey even. The kona forks are available for $50-70, so it's not that big of an outlay money wise.
    I just did a bmx race on my monocog and it handeled great, on the ground and in the air, I did notice that my 80mm raceface prodigy stem is not very stiff for bmx racing and when you are on the gate.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm riding a MonoCog. Nice bike for the money. I swapped out the rigid fork for an Ebay Manitou (which I recently replaced with a Psylo Race). The hubs are absolute shite, and the bottom bracket is darn near it, too.

Built up a new set with Shimano DX BMX hubs; very slick. BB and cranks will be the next things to replace. However, for the money, it's a good place to start and slowly upgrade over time, if that suits your budget.

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

I've been riding my MonoCog for the last three years, and haven't outgrown it yet. As far as slow steering is concerned, just learn to brake and while pedaling at the same time.

As for building the frame up with your own parts, I spent well over a grand polishing this so called turd.

Worth every penny, considering all the fun I've had on her!
    Last edited by Bikehigh; 07-04-2005 at 04:52 PM.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i own one and love it. it was/is my first singlespeed and pretty much the only bike i have anymore that sees regular action (other than my commuter).

for you people who say it handles slow? was that with the original fork or an aftermarket suspension fork??? i think mine handles tight singletrack superbly well (it's still got the orginal rigid fork).

as for the hubs being crap: i just got a my wheel rebuilt with the original hub because after a years abuse (in which i destroyed the orginal alex rim) the original hub (now built around a slasa gordo rim) still spins as good as new.

i got the frame/fork wheelset for like 200 a while back; i put the rest of the parts together myself... i think this bike is about as good as you can do for the amount it costs. mine cost maybe 4-500 all together with some donor parts from old bikes.

my next bike is a custom walt so i should have something nice to rate it's perforamnce against soon!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out the classifieds at this site and at Ebay as you might be able to get a really good deal on a used Surly or Monocog. I got my Surly 1x1 off Ebay for $450 last fall and it's been a great bike. Takes tons of abuse and hasn't needed anything replaced other than tires. I haven't ridden the monocog but I do know a few people that have had them and they have all upgraded since then but they are a solid entry level singlespeed. I am probably biased but I would probably wait for a deal on a Surly as they are pretty much as bulletproof as the monocog but not nearly as heavy (at least I don't believe they are). My 1x1 in Large is lighter than my buddie's medium Monocog and I don't have a bunch of superlight stuff on it.

industry employee

RL mono-cogs

Look for a frame available with 135mm spacing for 2006...

Also, eventhough the Mono-cogs have BMX spacing in the rear (110mm) all of the newer frames are disc-ready and Redline has disc-ready 110mm wheels available, if needed.

-albright

Big Paws on a Puppy!!

Whoa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbzone
    Look for a frame available with 135mm spacing for 2006...

Also, eventhough the Mono-cogs have BMX spacing in the rear (110mm) all of the newer frames are disc-ready and Redline has disc-ready 110mm wheels available, if needed.

-albright

If this is true I am really hoping that my pipe dream of Redline offering some type of frame upgrade program to those of use who purchased '05 bikes with the 110mm spacing will become a reality. I've been fighting the urge to put my disc brake equiped Monocog up for sale on EBay and moving to another SS platform (IRO Mia). My fear is I won't re-coup anywhere near what I have invested in the bike if I sell it..... Live and learn I guess.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

industry employee

Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratman
    If this is true I am really hoping that my pipe dream of Redline offering some type of frame upgrade program to those of use who purchased '05 bikes with the 110mm spacing will become a reality.
    The new cro-mo frames are green, have 135mm spacing and come in 15",17",19" and now 21". They should be available around the middle of August (unless they get bogged down in customs or ?).

The upgrade program is a great idea...I'll pass that along, who knows??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Florida Trail Monkey

Love mine...

Don't know if you've taken the plunge yet, but here's my 2 cents.

I have an '05 and love it. I have about 400 miles on it so far, and no problems. No hub problems, wheel problems, BB problems, nothing. It's stock except for the saddle and tires, and fun as hell to ride. Our single track in FL is flat-ish with some steep ups and downs, and VERY tight and twisty. I don't think it handles slowly at all. On the contrary, I feel like I can whip it around corners so much better than my full susser it's silly.

It is a bit heavy, but I don't care. It rides great.

This pic is the day I brought her home, before removing reflectors, swapping saddle and tires.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbzone
    The new cro-mo frames are green, have 135mm spacing and come in 15",17",19" and now 21". They should be available around the middle of August (unless they get bogged down in customs or ?).

The upgrade program is a great idea...I'll pass that along, who knows??

Is that color like a Matte Army Green???? Sweet!!!! What is Redline's policy on offering disc hubs on the aftermarket? Just curious as too what my options will be once my current hub bites the dust. I inquired at several LBS's and they were all clueless. I refuse to go back to the LBS that I bought the bike from because of the crappy service I got when I purchased the bike. It seems finding a 32 hole flipflop BMX hub to build up a lighter stronger wheel and still use a disc adaptor impossible.

On an up note. The LBS where I spent $2k on my Cannondale Jekyll a few years back and still go to for service were very impressed with the Redline (I had them upgrade the headset). I took that as a pretty good sign considering they had a showroom full of FG1's.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

KRN
    mtbr member
    I have A 2004 Redline SS & I love it it pretty much stock other then a Manitou SX fork I plan to put a shorter stem on it & some tires with more bite on them. The dealer I bought it had one too A steel one like mine & got the weight on it down to 23 pounds & the last year he bought the alumnium frame & got the weight down to 21 not bad at all. it had very reto stickers on it, it is heavy but that can be corrected like anything all it takes is MONEY! LOL I have heard that the cranks are the weak link but I plan to make it lighter so thats not a problem for me I do plan to add a stiffer fork later down the road here are some pictures of it( if I can load them ) Had to take the stupid reflecters off!

KRN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad

1G1G, Brad
    I have a 2004 Mono-cog & its a steel frame with disc tabs

KRN
    mtbr member

um

sorry about the cat picture heres some more to make up for it & oh one other thing the stering does seem a bit slow but I'm hoping a shorter stem will help make it better

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast