Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why Build a Single Speed?

Just wondering why someone builds a SS bike? I know there is something very, cool about them. The simple mechanics of them, but are they practical? What are there uses?

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lextek
    Just wondering why someone builds a SS bike?
    To ride.

I know there is something very, cool about them. The simple mechanics of them, but are they practical?
    Yes.

What are there uses?
    A SS is a mountain bike. You can ride them wherever you might want to ride a mountain bike.
    Wibble

Keep Singlespeeding Evil
    Why? Because we can ... !?

Oh yeah and chicks dig it ...

phaty

mtbr member

Why build a singlespeed? Well...

Just wondering why someone builds a SS bike? I know there is something very, cool about them.?
    This is why I built mine. So I'd be cool too!

the simple mechanics of them...
    Sometimes it's too simple. I wish it was more complicated then it really is. The fact that I can just quickly check it over, lube the chain and then go ride annoys me. This means I have no excuses like mechanical problems for when I don't really want to ride but just want to look like I ride and don't actually have to go and ride.

What are there uses?
    Well, I use mine for the cool factor. I tell people I ride a singlespeed and they say "Cool!" And I really like it when people say I'm cool. That's what SSing is really all about. Isn't it?

But really....

I built my singlespeed because, like you, I was curious about this "genre" of riding if you want to call it that. I got hold of an older Trek for cheap, built it up and had a blast. I have replaced the Trek with a Kona Lava Dome frame and have just built up my road bike as an SS which I'm thinking of going fixed with. The simplicity of having only one gear intrigued me and now there is no escape! Remember though... an SS is just like a geared bike and they are ridden with the same passion that a gearie rides theirs.
    Last edited by PROGRE-SS; 04-17-2004 at 07:06 AM.
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

meatier showers
    Just wondering why someone builds a SS bike? I know there is something very, cool about them. The simple mechanics of them, but are they practical? What are there uses?
    With an SS you never have to worry about being in the wrong gear -- you're ALWAYS in the wrong gear!

Okay, not really. But making any trail 'work' on a bike with just one gear yeilds a kind of satisfaction that is harder to get on a geared bike.

Once the mystery and fear are gone, singlespeeding is the most fun to be had on two wheels.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    I'm getting itchy. I wonder how that old Merlin would be for an SS?????????

KRN
    mtbr member

Cuz!

Well here my point riding a SS is just like riding a geared bike but theres no chance of your derailer going out & you have to push it back say 10 miles.I dont have to think abouot how many gears I need to drop to make this climb or what gear I need to be in in on this oncomming flat I just ride while you pull,push.twist,grind I just gooooooooooo!

blame me for missed rides
    someone PLEASE make the FAQ link bigger and more visible!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    someone PLEASE make the FAQ link bigger and more visible!!!
    Oh that link up there in the corner? That is pretty handy.

mtbr member

childhood days

I just built a SS two weeks ago, I haven't ridden a hardtail bike in 8 years. It brought back those same smiles I had when I was a kid, riding around on my bmx. Only this is a big bmx. It's like freedom, it's a feeling, it's about enjoying life, grinning with a toothy smile.

ali'i hua
    I'm getting itchy. I wonder how that old Merlin would be for an SS?????????
    OK, ill admit it.

I SS because I can. and beacuse its the most reliable bike in my quiver. the tituSS always wants to go, and gets mad at me for stopping early. convert it to gears? no. will never happen. my dean duke? well, just put a full set of gears on it. why? because its the perfect geared bike for me. the 29er? it wants to be SS, but it has a weak link- the EBB bolt. damn. I just built up a kona cowen. is it a SS? yes. why? ts a bmx bike built for an "adult" (yes, still a kid at heart- always will be)

dont ask "why" with SSing. just try it. you'll understand. besides, the post ride beer will be much more earned.

and sparty, youre not always in the wrong gear. sometimes, you gear is exactly perfect. I find that my gearing is more perfect than not. much more perfect.

a funny idea to ponder:
    your gear choces on a SS
    pedal (kick some gearie butt!)
    pedal all spun out (flats suck)
    pedal damn slow (stand up, lever on those bars!)
    walk (not a big fan of this one)
    DH baby! (aka no pedaling)

theHeadlessThompsonGunner

Why Build a Gearie?

Just wondering why someone builds a geared bike? I know there is something very, uncool about them. The dismechanics of them, but are they practical? What are there uses?
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

Keep Singlespeeding Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    Just wondering why someone builds a geared bike?
    Because gays have the right to ride too ... !

I know there is something very, uncool about them.
    Damn right!

The dismechanics of them, but are they practical?
    No but they make funny noises - some people dig that ...

What are there uses?
    Not sure but you can't open a beer bottle with them - and that totally sucks ... !

phaty

Just for the record -

Quote Originally Posted by phatlizard
    Because gays have the right to ride too ... !
    I did not say this, and nor would I.

-The Good Doctor

Keep Singlespeeding Evil
    Just for the record -

I did not say this, and nor would I.
    Yes that is true I said that - so what is your point?
    Poliitical Correctness Alert?

phaty

Seaside stand up!
    If you really like to ride but happen to own a pricey geared hardtail or F/S bike DON'T build a SS...
    You will start to ask yourself "what trails can't I do on the SS?" I have a rigid SS and I never look at the fork,or shock or shifters,or lockout device or defailures to see whats wrong.. I just ride. It may look be cool, but don't kid yourself it can be hard. Like baseball is hard compared to softball. Like walking 18 is hard compared to getting a cart. Like talking to females and getting them to sleep with you is hard compared to logging on to www.drunkcyclist.com and getting your freak on. BTW.. if you are going to convert, ENO does not suck.
    antonio

Nope, not political correctness, just the misapplication of stereotypes, and not something I prefer to involve myself in nor quietly abide by. While I see clearly defined connection between nancy-boys and gears (insert ubiquitous smiley - will this do?), I don't between gays and gears.

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member
    Cause it's VERY fun and different. Definitely a different ride when going w/ the simplicity. Borrowed my friend's Van Dessel CRB today and rode the Stanford loop which I usually do w/ my road bike. Bit of a challenge on the uphill (got passed by some roadies who liked the frame!) but there's a satisfaction of doing it in one gear. Can't wait till my CRB arrives soon.

mtbr member
    Just checked out my old Klein Rascal (gator linear fade paint job) in the attic. It has horizontal drop outs, perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wascal?

What are you waiting for?
    It's not even a conversion. Look at the Rascal as a SS frame with a derailleur hanger.
    I first ran my Rascal as SS in 1990, geared it and then SS'ed it again several years ago.

Just checked out my old Klein Rascal (gator linear fade paint job) in the attic. It has horizontal drop outs, perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Retro Grouch

It just sounded wrong...

Lextek-Just wondering why someone builds a SS bike? I know there is something very, cool about them. The simple mechanics of them, but are they practical? What are there uses?

SDizzle-Just wondering why someone builds a geared bike?

Phatlizard-Because gays have the right to ride too ... !

SDizzle-Just for the record -I did not say this, and nor would I.

Phatlizard-Yes that is true I said that - so what is your point?
    Poliitical Correctness Alert?

Nope, not political correctness, just the misapplication of stereotypes, and not something I prefer to involve myself in nor quietly abide by. While I see clearly defined connection between nancy-boys and gears (insert ubiquitous smiley - will this do?), I don't between gays and gears.
    Maybe I've just lived in Santa Cruz too long or maybe because it just wasn't funny, but I don't think gay bashing belongs on this board.

I look at SS like running. A number of riders, including myself started to have knee problems until they went over to the dark side. Like running, perhaps the human body likes the various paces and efforts instead of a steady cadence; or perhaps not. Regardless, there is no doubt SS a hoot and I had one of my best times at the Sea Otter this year. Good to meet you Fast Eddy and Mattman; Francis I think it was a year (next time bring the boy); Shiggy, save me and Spyke a place in the 2005 Cream Puff; and Andy I made "hurl hill" on a second loop with my buddy Spyke and on race day.

1G1G, Brad

hand me the dice

nancy boy?

sdizzle,

you know that nancy boy is "used as a disparaging slang term for an effeminate man, especially a homosexual man." right?

if you were just cracking a joke, then so be it, but it just looks a little strange that you'd try and distance yourself from phaty's comments and then turn around and make one of your own.
    "pain is only a pulse...if you just stop feeling it"

mtbr member

Because...

...it's always in the right gear and always in the wrong gear.
    It's a lot of fun too, especially if you rode BMX as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by TryAndStopMe
    you know that nancy boy is "used as a disparaging slang term for an effeminate man, especially a homosexual man." right?
    Per the Oxford English Dictionary of Modern Slang (which I've never seriously consulted until now), yes. [ noun derog An effeminate man or boy; a male homosexual. ] But by that definition, effeminate men or boys are gay, and vise versa, which I know for a fact is not a universal singularity; I think as a result the definition must change with time. I guess I've gotten used to fudging it to fit any sissy I feel it should apply to. You're right - in the interest of effective communication, I failed.

...That said, I do know some decidedly non-nancy-boys who ride gears, and some SSin' sissies.

-The Good Doctor

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    i always thought that "nancy boy" just meant "wuss." never thought it had any sexual-orientation connotation to it.

i guess now that we know, we'll have to substitute "geary" for "nancy boy" so that we don't offend anyone but the wusses.

disclaimer: i, know plenty of gearys who could kick my @ss before we even left the parking lot, but i only know a few SS'ers that i think are nancy's. i mean, gearies. wait, this isn't going to work at all.
    [size=1][/size]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast