Who's using belt drive?

How do you like it?
    How much did the setup cost?
    Did it shave weight?
    Do you see any drawbacks?
    What frame are you running?

mtbr member
    I am. I have converted a few bikes.

Cost was high, but I like experimenting so didn't consider it. I think the hassles of doing the conversion and the cost are not worth it unless you are also an experimenter, because shortly this system will be widespread on new bikes and the parts will be much cheaper then.

It saves a significant amount of weight. I weighed the parts that came off, and the replacement belt drive parts, and the weight saving was 250 grams.

I don't see any drawbacks in the usage of the belt compared to a similar chain - it's more advantages! You don't realise how noisy a chain is until you have ridden a belt.

A drawback in the conversion process is you need a stiff frame and very few frames have stiff enough chainstays (they don't need them so stiff with chains). I raced a belt drive at the SSUK09 and I had belt "popping" problems because my frame was too flexy - I didn't mind because it gave me an excuse to walk up the steeper bits. I have since fixed this by rigging up a preventer - looks like a tensioner, but doesn't actually touch the belt until it tries to ride up and off the cog.

I have modified a number of frames. You have to be prepared to cut them to get the belt in, and have a method of reconnecting the frame.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So, do you think a good welder could cut then re-weld the frame? How would you go about this? Are there frame manufacturers creating split frames for the new belt drives?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Here is how Trek does it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctaggart
    So, do you think a good welder could cut then re-weld the frame? How would you go about this? Are there frame manufacturers creating split frames for the new belt drives?
    I make up a plate so I can bolt it together again. This allows the belt to be replaced.

The only frame manufacturer I know who is making a belt drive frame (as opposed to a complete bike) is Lynskey.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I've got a Spot Longboard frame that's cut for a belt. I bought just the frame and had local shop do the belt and rest of the build. Love the belt. Silky smooth. Keeping the belt tensioned is about the only maintenance that I have done to it in 9 months of riding hard. Belt drive and chris kings on 29's make for some smooth rolling....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Waiting For Mine

I am having a 29er Sycip frame custom made specifically for a belt drive. The frame will be green with white lettering. The wheels are going to be made with I9 green hubs and white No Tubes rims. The fork is going to be a white Fox 100. I will post pics when I finish the build.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unclesam
    I am having a 29er Sycip frame custom made specifically for a belt drive. The frame will be green with white lettering. The wheels are going to be made with I9 green hubs and white No Tubes rims. The fork is going to be a white Fox 100. I will post pics when I finish the build.

Is Jeremy working on it now? when are you expecting it?, My builder in San Jose is also working on mine now and he mentioned stopping by Jeremy's shop to get some more info on setting it up for a belt drive
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.