75% Mountain cycle

Who's got Merlin Newsboy #22? Bay Scam

This add looks like a scam to me. Ebay item number 170089532863.

It may not be a scam, but if it is, the scammer has no idea the cult following this bike has.

If the real owner of #22 is known and it's not this guy, let's get it out in the open.

I have issues becuase I was scammed last year out of $800 on ebay. Scammers use private auctions, ask for personal checks or money orders, have little feedback and have not had feedback for years, they never tell you where they're from, and they always seem to sell 2 or 3 big ticket items at once. This guy hasn't had feedback since 2001.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I emailed the seller and asked for another picture of the bb shell at the start of the auction and I have not heard anything...I figure if he can produce another pic of the bb shell it might be legit.

I will keep you posted.

Custom User Title
    If you don't hear anything you should try to contact the people who have already bid and warn them.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudgerboy
    If you don't hear anything you should try to contact the people who have already bid and warn them.

no can do- private auctions hide bidders' identities

El Pollo Diablo
    avoiding scammers is mostly an excercise in not getting blinded by whatever rad item they are selling.
    common sense goes a long way, I'm always impressed with how many scammers are able to stay in buisiness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

newsboy

Don't know much about scammers, however, a great bike thats why I looked at the thread. If someone wnts one of these then last year I went to Singapore and there's a bike shop called Treknology (yes they sell these and lots of other stuff) they have a merlin newsboy. Can't remember the email address but I'm sure if you look thrught he foreign sallers of trek you'll find their adress.

Hope this helps someone

Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The bid is ending in just a few hours. It does look like a hijacked account doesn't it?

Anyone got any updates? I've e-mail the seller a few times and he hasn't responded at all! Bad attitude...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wow, I'm glad i saw this - I was really planning on bidding big on the bike - thanks for highlighting this for me, folks! I must say that I've seen at least 3 really fishy ebay auctions for Newsboys. Twice, they were using recycled photos, and one time I bid and lost, and was contacted by another seller to purchase a "similar" bike. Not sure why the Newsboy is plagued with such cruddy auctions.

Personally, I'd still love one - so if anyone wants to hook me up, I'm interested!

-Raj

Mtn Biker Machinist

Another on Ebay

Legit or not, I have no idea, but here's another one for sale, just BIN

http://cgi.ebay.com/Merlin-Newsboy-N...QQcmdZViewItem

Frog

Retro Grouch

Another clue

Quote Originally Posted by SanAnMan
    This add looks like a scam to me. Ebay item number 170089532863. This guy hasn't had feedback since 2001.
    The seller only a buyer in 2000/2001; bought 22 items was never a seller before.

1G1G, Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

75% Mountain cycle

ripoff confirmed - see feedback

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=007

All you ebayers out there beware, just to re-cap:
    1. Never ever send a money order, you might as well send cash
    2. Watch out for auctions with a private bidders list
    3. If there has been no feedback for several years - watch out
    4. Check the seller's other auctions, often they sell 2 or 3 very high end items at the same time and have different stories
    5. Best advice - buy only from those with lots of feedback with recent activity and PayPal only!

mtbr member
    His seller ID says, "Not a registered user," which eBay says, "can refer to members who have cancelled their membership, or whose membership has been suspended by eBay. For example, a member whose correct contact information is no longer on file with us may have their registration suspended until the new contact information is entered. In either case, the member appears as "not a registered user" and is not allowed to buy or sell on eBay."

I've never encountered this before, but I sure wouldn't do business with him.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

#23 is for sale

Merlin Newsboy #23 is for sale. Like new!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have Newsboy #23 for sale if interested!

Merlin Newsboy Titanium Mountain Bike | eBay

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Edit, whoops I'm replying to a zombie post. Anyways . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SanAnMan View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=007

All you ebayers out there beware, just to re-cap:
    1. Never ever send a money order, you might as well send cash
    2. Watch out for auctions with a private bidders list
    3. If there has been no feedback for several years - watch out
    4. Check the seller's other auctions, often they sell 2 or 3 very high end items at the same time and have different stories
    5. Best advice - buy only from those with lots of feedback with recent activity and PayPal only!
    This is good advice. In fact, never pay with money order for anything, ebay or non-ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Godless Communist View Post
    His seller ID says, "Not a registered user," which eBay says, "can refer to members who have cancelled their membership, or whose membership has been suspended by eBay. For example, a member whose correct contact information is no longer on file with us may have their registration suspended until the new contact information is entered. In either case, the member appears as "not a registered user" and is not allowed to buy or sell on eBay."

I've never encountered this before, but I sure wouldn't do business with him.
    This usually means seller is suspended and item is taken down simultaneously.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Here it is, the real deal. If you are interested I would be happy to speak with you about #23.
    Merlin Newsboy Titanium Mountain Bike | eBay

Have had since new and is in like new condition. Under 10 original miles!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrnzy View Post
    Have had since new and is in like new condition. Under 10 original miles!
    What a waste!!