Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,509

    Who has ridden both the Optimus Ti and the Jabberwocky?

    I am interested in an Optimus Ti frame, but I want to learn more about it before I put down the money. There are limited reviews on it, and hardly any comparisons to other bikes...

    How does it compare to a jabberwocky in terms of stiffness? I have ridden some ti bikes that are super stiff, and others that are much less stiff. I really wonder what side of the spectrum the Optimus ti is built to...

    I would prefer it to be stiffer over flexier, but on the other hand, I dont mind a smooth ride with some BB flex if thats how its designed... I am mainly interested because of the Wet Cat geometry. It rides like heaven!

    Anyone have any input or tried both?

    Thanks!
    Sheepo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  2. #2
    Jabberwocky Jockey
    Reputation: Darkwing Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    818
    I have ridden both rather extensively. The Optimus is plently stiff yet still somewhat compliant like a good ti frame should be. I have ridden my Optimus in SS set-up as well as geared and there is no hint of flex in the bottom bracket. (for the record, I am 5'11" and 180# and I tend to mash).
    I've been on Vassagos since 2008 and the Wet Cat geo is the real deal. They do ride great.

    The Jabber did have a slightly more "solid" ride (best way I can describe it) but that came at the cost of waaay less compliance and a good bit of weight too. I rode a Jabber in the Cohutta 100 and then my Optimus at the Mohican 100, both SS/rigid and the Opti left me feeling less beat up after 100 miles than the Jabber.

    Here is a long term review I did on the first gen Optimus:
    The Tao of Duckman: Vassago Optimus Ti Long Term Review

    Those were built overseas and the second gen (I have one of those too) were welded by Lynskey and they are a little stiffer that the first ones.
    The new ones are being built 100% in house and in the USA and I can't wait to get my hands on one as soon as they ship sometime in early 2013.

    IMO you can't go wrong with an Optimus
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.


    www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

    My Blog

  3. #3
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,509
    Thanks, You are probably a record winner for fastest good response to a thread.

    Nice review,
    Do you know if the new ones are built to the same tube specs as the old ones so they will have a similar ride feel? Or are they totally reworked? And are the new ones Lynskey built? Or somewhere else in the USA?

    I notice you rode it with the Rock Solid fork. That fork will make every bikes front end feel flexier then it actually is. I hated mine with a passion! I bet it would ride like a dream with my Niner Carbon fork on there.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  4. #4
    Jabberwocky Jockey
    Reputation: Darkwing Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    818
    The new ones are being built in AZ, no longer by Lynskey obviously but by some good folks who know their stuff. As far as I have been told the tube specs are similar (and size specific so bigger frames get more robust tubes so as not to be noodly and the ride quality is the same. The head tube is designed around a 44mm internal headset though and is tapered fork compatible or you can use a straight 1-1/8 too.

    Yeah the Rock Solid is sort of flexy but in a good way, to each his own i suppose I have no experience with the Niner carbon fork but if you like it then that is all that matters
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.


    www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

    My Blog

  5. #5
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,509
    All great to hear! Lynskey built ones were sweet, but Im sure these will be great too.

    As for the Rock solid vs the niner, they are pretty much opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of ride feel.

    Rock solid is very "complaint"(called flexy by some) and the Niner is super stiff(unforgiving by others)


    Thanks for your help. I dont mind a little frame flex, but a BB that sways back and forth when riding is downright scary in a sprint. Im sure the Optimus will ride great. After all, that wet cat is what I am after. My J-wok and B-Snatch are the 2 best riding bikes I have ever ridden.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    370
    Mine is for sale. Its a lynskey built 2010 model. Ill sell as a complete bike or feame only.

  7. #7
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Click Click Boom View Post
    Mine is for sale. Its a lynskey built 2010 model. Ill sell as a complete bike or feame only.
    PMing!

    Edit, I read medium. What size is yours?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    136
    Ive rode both as well. I had a lynskey built optimus ti and I'd take a jabberwocky any day over it. I had them both set up SS. I actually only had the Jabber cause I bought it as a temp frame while my optimus was getting repaired at lynskey, the drive side dropout cracked/broke.

    The optimus was flexy as hell and really bothered me to the point that even after the repair, I sold it for something stiffer and more solid. The jabberwocky is a bit heavier, but to me at least, had a much better feeling. I suppose solid is a really good word to use.

  9. #9
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,509
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhugh View Post
    Ive rode both as well. I had a lynskey built optimus ti and I'd take a jabberwocky any day over it. I had them both set up SS. I actually only had the Jabber cause I bought it as a temp frame while my optimus was getting repaired at lynskey, the drive side dropout cracked/broke.

    The optimus was flexy as hell and really bothered me to the point that even after the repair, I sold it for something stiffer and more solid. The jabberwocky is a bit heavier, but to me at least, had a much better feeling. I suppose solid is a really good word to use.
    Wow, that's scary. This will be my primary race bike, so "flexy as hell" may not cut it.
    What is your weight if you don't mind me asking?

    What parts of the frame felt flexy? Bottom bracket when pedaling? Or flex when cornering?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    136
    I weigh around 180-184 depending on how much I've ate. ha.

    Really the whole thing was pretty flexy, especially the BB area and hard cornering.

    I love ti bikes, (have owned 2 others as well) and I'm sure it's just the way that particular year (or all the lynskey made optimus ti's?) models were built. Could be much better with the new builder.. I have no idea.

    Loved my Jabber though, amazing frame for the money, and I'm sure ti done right with the wet cat geo would be amazing.

  11. #11
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,509
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhugh View Post
    I weigh around 180-184 depending on how much I've ate. ha.

    Really the whole thing was pretty flexy, especially the BB area and hard cornering.

    I love ti bikes, (have owned 2 others as well) and I'm sure it's just the way that particular year (or all the lynskey made optimus ti's?) models were built. Could be much better with the new builder.. I have no idea.

    Loved my Jabber though, amazing frame for the money, and I'm sure ti done right with the wet cat geo would be amazing.
    Thanks for the insight! Im worried about all that. I weight 165 but I ride a lot harder than that weight shows.

    Maybe a Verhauen could be a solid contender. Itll definitely be lighter than the 4130 options, and may have similar ride characteristics.

    Decisions decisions...
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  12. #12
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,509
    Deleted
    Last edited by Sheepo5669; 12-28-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  13. #13
    29 TO LIFE
    Reputation: bzo75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    153
    I have owned both and preferred the steel over ti. I felt the Optimus rear end would wander all over the trail at higher speeds when the trail was rough. I also felt that ti made the ride feel dead compared to steel. I loved the vertical compliance of the jabber. I love the low weight of ti and that it can be left raw without it rusting up in a day. I am selling my RIP 9 and leaning toward a new verhauen. Hey sheepo, are you still on the same jabber frame?

  14. #14
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,509
    Quote Originally Posted by bzo75 View Post
    Hey sheepo, are you still on the same jabber frame?
    Yeah Dude! I have put that bike through a crap ton of miles and abuse. All as good as new except for the paint chips from daily shredding. The niner carbon fork is still holding up great too.

    Thanks again for the frame and parts and I hope all is going well with you!

    John
    Last edited by Sheepo5669; 12-28-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  15. #15
    29 TO LIFE
    Reputation: bzo75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Yeah Dude! I have put that bike through a crap ton of miles and abuse. All as good as new except for the paint chips from daily shredding. The niner carbon fork is still holding up great too.

    I'll need a tapered RDO for the Optimus though

    Thanks again for the frame and parts and I hope all is going well with you!

    John
    I'm doing good. Thanks for asking. I haven't been riding much lately but I'm hoping that a new bike will get me inspired to make time to ride more. I've been through so many bikes in the last 5-6 years that I'm trying to find the "ONE" bike that I will keep for more than a year. One thing I have learned about all the 29ers I've owned is that I like owning more than one at a time. But right now I can only justify one bike. At one point I had five bikes all for different types of riding and even some for different moods I was in. Of all of them I miss my jabber the most. I talk my self out of ordering a new jabber every day since they are back in business. I think if the paint was the same as my old one I would have done it. I'm not digging the cream color lettering on the new black frames. I really like the new verhauen.

  16. #16
    Bro Mountainbiker
    Reputation: Sheepo5669's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,509
    Quote Originally Posted by bzo75 View Post
    I'm doing good. Thanks for asking. I haven't been riding much lately but I'm hoping that a new bike will get me inspired to make time to ride more. I've been through so many bikes in the last 5-6 years that I'm trying to find the "ONE" bike that I will keep for more than a year. One thing I have learned about all the 29ers I've owned is that I like owning more than one at a time. But right now I can only justify one bike. At one point I had five bikes all for different types of riding and even some for different moods I was in. Of all of them I miss my jabber the most. I talk my self out of ordering a new jabber every day since they are back in business. I think if the paint was the same as my old one I would have done it. I'm not digging the cream color lettering on the new black frames. I really like the new verhauen.
    Maybe if you get lucky I will sell it back to ya.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

  17. #17
    29 TO LIFE
    Reputation: bzo75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Maybe if you get lucky I will sell it back to ya.
    That would be funny. I wonder if anyone on mtbr has done that before.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by bzo75 View Post
    That would be funny. I wonder if anyone on mtbr has done that before.
    Several years ago, I sold a Gunnar Rockhound 29er on MTBR and missed it pretty quickly. A year or two later I posted a want ad and the person that bought it responded without even realizing I was the one that sold him the frame. So yes, it has happened.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    370
    I don't like the Vassago geo but the Lynskey Optimus Ti was a very compliant rig. I could ride it all day long.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •