trail hunter
    Apr 2008

Who has experience with Mountain Goat Cycles

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/NewGoat.htm[/URL]

The story is great and the geometry looks awesome. Please share your experiences as I am about to buy a frame and they are a builder I am looking hard at. Pretty sure I would get the 853 upgrade. Any thoughts?

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bhunter
    http://www.firstflightbikes.com/NewGoat.htm[/URL]

The story is great and the geometry looks awesome. Please share your experiences as I am about to buy a frame and they are a builder I am looking hard at. Pretty sure I would get the 853 upgrade. Any thoughts?
    If you would like to give us a call or an email, I can send you contact info for a couple of our previous customers.

We should be getting our sample frame from Ted Wojcik this week. Can't wait to check it out!

Go hard or go home

Goat #16

Hey there...

I have Goat #16 - you may have seen photos - its the blue one with the red flames on the tubes, forks and stem.

I love this bike - the way it handles, the sharp turning and climbing especially (and especially for a 29er).

I just did 70 miles over the weekend on it in Fruita, Colorado - abusive conditions, over 6,000ft of climbing over 11 hours of riding in very remote conditions...I did big climbs, huge drops, high speed descending and general beating of the crap out of it...it took it all in stride and asked for more. Great bike!

The service given by FirstFlight is also outstanding - Jeff and Wes work well with you to make sure the bike is designed, painted and built up just the way you want it...it was a joy to work with them on it.
    Best coffee ever... www.copperdoorcoffee.com/

trail hunter
    Apr 2008

thanks, and your bike looks sweet

it is the one that caught my eye on their site. what tubes did you get? also how do you like the sliders? I currently have an ebb and haven't had any of the troubles I have heard about so far. I like the clean look of an ebb but am also concerned about weight.

I like butter
    Jan 2004
    I may be a little biased here but I own three Goats and love them all. Sinjin has stock tubing on his bike and all of mine do as well. Like you, I have had good luck with my EBB on other bikes I own but do know that on a couple of EBB bikes I have worked on some gearing choices just do not come out happy (one lately didn't care if I tried regular links, 1/2 links, fingers crossed or anything else, a 32x17 wasn't going to be happy and 33x18 either, the chain was too tight or too loose). On the sliders I have yet to have a combo that does not work. Thats about the only advantage that I have really seen. I too think EBB's look better but both of my SS Goats have sliders #2 and #21

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have Goat #27. I know there are some pics on here somewhere (titanium singlespeed). I too have sliders and have had no trouble with them. The adjustment is simple and pretty much infinite (within the range of the sliders of course). As for the geometry, it is quite possibly the most comfortable, best climbing and best handling bike I have every ridden.

Jeff and Wes at First Flight are great to work with and will bend over backwards to make sure that you get exactly what you want and that you are happy with the finished product. They use some of the best frame builders in the country and also use the finest painters and powder coaters available to make sure that your frame is exactly what you want. Give them a call and get yours started.
    Last edited by SanchezD; 03-25-2009 at 06:18 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i can't word it any better than sanchez did. I have sliders on both of my goats and have no issues with them.
    2007 Mountain Goat Route 29 (Black/Gold)
    2009 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer (Real men ride Pink)
    2008 Trek XO1 Cross Bike

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SanchezD
    I have Goat #27. I know there are some pics on here somewhere (titanium singlespeed). I too have sliders and have had no trouble with them. The adjustment is simple and pretty much infinite (within the range of the sliders of course). As for the geometry, it is quite possibly the most comfortable, best climbing and best handling bike I have every ridden.

Jeff and Wes at First Flight are great to work with and will bend over backwards to make sure that you get exactly what you want and that you are happy with the finished product. They use some of the best frame builders in the country and also use the finest painters and powder coaters available to make sure that your frame is exactly what you want. Give them a call and get yours started.
    DITTO! Happy Wes?
    2007 Mountain Goat Route 29 (Black/Gold)
    2009 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer (Real men ride Pink)
    2008 Trek XO1 Cross Bike

mtbr member
    They have a SWEET Team RV they bring to events.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight
    We should be getting our sample frame from Ted Wojcik this week. Can't wait to check it out!
    Oh Yeah!!!

trail hunter
    Apr 2008

Thanks for the responses

I have decided on them, now I just need to save.

I like butter
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RSW42
    They have a SWEET Team RV they bring to events.

We had to slum it last year with only two 10x10's and boy that just was not fun Maybe we need to make Matt brake out the RV again for this years Burn.

I like butter
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bhunter
    I have decided on them, now I just need to save.
    Sweet, just let us know and we will get you all set