Absolute Black oval 34t ring
    Surly 20t cog
    DMR STS
    Bontrager RXL bars

Quite bad.

Who has the baddest singlespeed?-20160220_133604.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    WOWSERS! I suppose I must feel superior to other SS'ers as I have a SS dedicated hub lol.

Seriously though as long as it's SS haha.

I agree about the ZEN comment also as it has always been a revelation to me SS since my early days of original On One Inbred.
    Riding bikes means life behind bars, except no TV :-d

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstigator View Post
    WOWSERS! I suppose I must feel superior to other SS'ers as I have a SS dedicated hub lol.

I agree about the ZEN comment also as it has always been a revelation to me SS since my early days of original On One Inbred.
    Yeah, I guess I'm not very badass since only one of my 3 SS bikes has a dedicated SS hub. Looks all cobbled together and what not.

Who has the baddest singlespeed?-13775525_10207981805757039_4864308034644778136_n.jpg
    On heavy rotation: Stooge 27.5+ SS, On-One Fatty, On-One 456 EVO, Surly Cross-Check, Scott CR1 (SS road)

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Yeah, 3 of my 4 have geared hubs with spacers and one lonely Paul WORD hub on the Chameleon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    My first time here (hello BTW) and my first SS build

26" Kinesis Decade Virtue Prestige running 32/16t
    RockShox SID RCT3 100mm solo air forks
    Race Face Turbine bars,Race Face Ride XC Stem and NW crank-set
    Race Face NW 32t ring ,KMC BMX race chain and 16t Gusset Sprocket
    Wheels are Hope Hoops on Pro-4 Hubs with Halo Twin rail tyres (for now)
    Saddle is Charge Spoon Stealth on a BLB track seatpost

Weight unknown as of yet - will post when I know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who has the baddest singlespeed?-picture-047_zps8rkw7aop.jpg  

GT Avalanche 2.0 Custom 3 x 10
    Kinesis Decade Virtue Single Speed

mtbr member
    ^ A while ago I lost out on an auction for some gold Hadley SS hubs that would have gone into a build that would've looked very probably exactly like that, with the exception of the gold chain. Nice gumwalls too. Have fun with that SS!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Maybe that came out harsh on this thread, I'll agree.
    I do feel that people should have accurate information on what parts make up a good or the "baddest" single speed bike. That's all. Have a good ride
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYINW View Post
    I'm sure not many care what you think about how they built their bike. People like you is the main reason I don't like a big portion of the cycling community.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Sir9 SS rigid
    Trek Remedy
    Foes FXR
    Titus Eleven

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Not trying to imply superiority but whatever, you've got some nice bikes and I'm sure if you BFF was building up a SS you might suggest using a SS specific hub for a better wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstigator View Post
    WOWSERS!

I suppose I must feel superior to other SS'ers as I have a SS dedicated hub lol.

Sir9 SS rigid
    Trek Remedy
    Foes FXR
    Titus Eleven

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    Not trying to imply superiority but whatever, you've got some nice bikes and I'm sure if you BFF was building up a SS you might suggest using a SS specific hub for a better wheel.
    Why limit yourself to an SS hub? Great, it's marginally stronger being dishless but I for one occasionally throw an RD and cassette on my Jones in the winter so when I'm on the snow covered trails I can ride uphill with a degree of traction in low gear. You post up a pic of your SS yet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Limiting yourself to a dedicated SS hub or SS build on a sweet Jones frame is one way to see it. I guess I just like having extra wheel sets and would rather swap them out. Especially on a really nice frame. I'll post up a recent pic of my Sir9
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who has the baddest singlespeed?-img_9120.jpg  

Sir9 SS rigid
    Trek Remedy
    Foes FXR
    Titus Eleven

mtbr member
    Limiting yourself to a dedicated SS hub or SS build on a sweet Jones frame is one way to see it. I guess I just like having extra wheel sets and would rather swap them out. Especially on a really nice frame. I'll post up a recent pic of my Sir9
    I agree in principle, but my budget dictates that I keep options open. My last 29er wheels had a dedicated SS hub. As much as I spent on the new wheels, I had to choose versatility. On my Cross Check, I have 3 wheelsets collected over time, geared road, geared CX, and SSCX with a Surly
    1x1 and ACS freewheel.

mtbr member
    I've had a dedicated SS hub and I've ran geared hubs on SS bikes. I find zero benefit in running a dedicated SS hub other than they usually have higher POE but that's it. And honestly, I find very little difference in actual benefit between my current 44 POE Hope Pro 4 and my previous 72 POE Chris King. To each their own. But I'll stay with a geared hub so I have some versatility. But to suggest that someone is less because of a hub choice...well...that speaks volumes about what kind of d-bag a person is that would make that type of comment.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLoCo29 View Post
    I agree in principle, but my budget dictates that I keep options open. My last 29er wheels had a dedicated SS hub. As much as I spent on the new wheels, I had to choose versatility. On my Cross Check, I have 3 wheelsets collected over time, geared road, geared CX, and SSCX with a Surly
    1x1 and ACS freewheel.
    try a white industries freewheel sometime,i have one on my karate monkey with a surly ss hub and its hella sweet...actually its a dos enos but i commute to the trails and the 17/19 combo makes the road part go by without being constantly spun out and the 19 is a good balance between climbing and top speed...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterspam View Post
    try a white industries freewheel sometime,i have one on my karate monkey with a surly ss hub and its hella sweet...actually its a dos eno
    I'll 2nd the White Industries suggestion, I've used Shimano and ACS and the WI is much better than both and rebuildable. I've seen a few used go for pretty good deals on fleabay. I also have the ENO 18T on a Surly new hub and love it, but would prefer the chainline to match to the middle ring of a triple instead of the outer ring. However, it's a small compromise since I love the hub. I do have a WI eccentric eno disc hub I'm meaning to build for my RMB Blizzard and may use it on the MUSS just to see if I prefer it to the Surly. I will be getting a Dos one of these days for the Eno hub, probably 16/18 so I can continue to run the AB NW oval chainring. WI is badass all round.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    and awesome customer service,i managed to break something inside mine and they had the new parts to me in 2 days no questions asked aside from the lbs sending pics...im seriously considering one of their trials freewheels...and another thumbs up from me on absolute black ovals,super nice chainrings,they are just gorgeous....some purist may consider it cheating but they can try riding with my crappy 51 year old knees and meh climbing skills sometime and see if they dont change their minds!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    [. But to suggest that someone is less because of a hub choice...well...that speaks volumes about what kind of d-bag a person is that would make that type of comment.[/QUOTE]
    I'm responding to the topic "I'm building up a new SS 29er at the beginning of the year and was looking for inspiration..I realize that SS and all-out no expense-spared builds don't necessarily go hand in hand, but for those who said f-the budget let me see what you have!
    I guess I'm a d-bag for suggesting a SS specific hub would make the Baddest SS.
    I hope the guy who started this topic is inspired and gets back to riding on his new SS and really wasn't trying to offend people that have geared hubs. Who knew?

Sir9 SS rigid
    Trek Remedy
    Foes FXR
    Titus Eleven

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    [. But to suggest that someone is less because of a hub choice...well...that speaks volumes about what kind of d-bag a person is that would make that type of comment.
    I'm responding to the topic "I'm building up a new SS 29er at the beginning of the year and was looking for inspiration..I realize that SS and all-out no expense-spared builds don't necessarily go hand in hand, but for those who said f-the budget let me see what you have!
    I guess I'm a d-bag for suggesting a SS specific hub would make the Baddest SS.
    I hope the guy who started this topic is inspired and gets back to riding on his new SS and really wasn't trying to offend people that have geared hubs. Who knew?[/QUOTE]

well,lets just all agree that riding singlespeed is the coolest thing ever and people on geared bike deserve nothing but our scorn and contempt as we crush them on climbs and collapse into a vomiting heap somewhere safely out of sight lest they think we're ordinary 42 tooth cog spinning mortals!

that was meant to be humorous by the way...

me,i think any singlespeed is pretty darn cool,from an on the cheap conversion to a damn the cost custom build...if theirs one thing we can all agree on is riding bikes is fun,or at least it should be,i dont care what you ride,thats just a detail...if you're on a bike and having fun then its the baddest whatever bike ever...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    As usual hamsterspam has it right. But... I think I get the argument for SS specific hubs. I think hardmtnbiker was simply trying to play along. His/Her idea to judge bikes like we do dogs or gymnastics was/is solid (or at least as good as this thread). Before we start we must first all agree on what "baddest" means. Obviously different for all us but if we truly want an answer (we don't) getting super picky/scientific is the place to start.

AND.... my SS Surly Wednesday is pretty darn bad. For me baddest means an ability to ride anywhere I want. If the sight of me riding leads mothers everywhere to clutch their children tight that is pretty bad too. I win!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

SS specific hubs

Who has the baddest singlespeed?-img_9295-4.jpgWho has the baddest singlespeed?-img_9293-4.jpgWho has the baddest singlespeed?-img_9294-4.jpgWho has the baddest singlespeed?-img_9292-4.jpgWho has the baddest singlespeed?-img_9291-4.jpg
    HR called and said I must attend sensitivity training and not to post any more on the topic. But they didn't say anything about pics

Sir9 SS rigid
    Trek Remedy
    Foes FXR
    Titus Eleven

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9295 4.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	1090015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9293 4.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	1090016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9294 4.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	1090017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9292 4.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	1090018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9291 4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	1090019
    HR called and said I must attend sensitivity training and not to post any more on the topic. But they didn't say anything about pics
    Thats a good looking SIR! AS I said previously, I would totally go for SS specific hubs, but if I did, I would be on CK SS hubs, but couldn't afford it. They sure look good on your bike though!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks, I like my Sir9 it's not really light, but rides nice. These are Hadley's, I highly recommend them. CK Hubs are top shelf too and really easy to maintain. I had a set. To be traditional I'd look at White Industry or Paul's too when you get the scratch.

Sir9 SS rigid
    Trek Remedy
    Foes FXR
    Titus Eleven

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Krampus

I swap between a Rohloff and dyno hub and a single speed setup. Krampus with King hubs, WTB Scraper rims, dirt wizards and MRP Stage fork. Love this rig.

First SS ride since last fall. by Mike, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    I swap between a Rohloff and dyno hub and a single speed setup. Krampus with King hubs, WTB Scraper rims, dirt wizards and MRP Stage fork. Love this rig.

Very nice - not familar with those forks.

Are those BB7 brakes you have on there?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-Vok View Post
    Very nice - not familar with those forks.

Are those BB7 brakes you have on there?
    Thanks.

It is a sweet fork... and fits the DW on the WTB Scraper.
    Yes, BB7s.

Here is is in bikepacking mode:
    IMG_5092 by Mike, on Flickr

Here is is in winter mode (studs):
    First very short ride on the Rohloff'd Krampus. Will take some reprogramming of the muscle memory for shifting. And ignore the floppy chain. Left the wrench on my bench and the wheel slipped a bit. Need to tighten it down even more. by Mike, on Flickr

Krampus on Bridge by Mike, on Flickr

mtbr member

Nice! Is that MRP non-boost?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Nice! Is that MRP non-boost?
    yes, new to me last summer, but its from the year before. standard front spacing. which lets me swap the wheel to fully rigid (winter, bikepacking) or to the fork.

mtbr member
    yes, new to me last summer, but its from the year before. standard front spacing. which lets me swap the wheel to fully rigid (winter, bikepacking) or to the fork.
    Cool, been thinking of doing the same with my ROS9 PluSS. How much room is there? Have DW's on i45 scrapers also, tried it on a Fox 34 couple weeks ago after reading someone on mtbr say "plenty of room" but I saw 3mm at best don't think that'll work in reality.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks.

It is a sweet fork... and fits the DW on the WTB Scraper.
    Yes, BB7s.
    My BB7s lasted 7 years and outlasted two bikes. Swapped them off the GT for a cheap (but new) set of Elixirs - worst thing I ever did. Nowhere near as good as the BB7's - especially modulation. Got LXs on the Kinesis and when I upgrade, they'll go on the GT and the Elixirs will go in the bin

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    Cool, been thinking of doing the same with my ROS9 PluSS. How much room is there? Have DW's on i45 scrapers also, tried it on a Fox 34 couple weeks ago after reading someone on mtbr say "plenty of room" but I saw 3mm at best don't think that'll work in reality.
    MRP Stage, Surly Krampus, Dirt Wizards on WTB Scraper by Mike, on Flickr

I've not had an issue...

mtbr member
    Ibis Tranny with a beltWho has the baddest singlespeed?-belt-drive-ss.jpg
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The "baddest singlespeed" is not one that is going to be using bargain basement bits, as defined by the OP. There is nothing wrong with a Gravity SS, but is a $500 aluminum singlespeed really the "baddest"? This thread is for the singlespeed that was built while using hundred dollar bills to light your cuban cigars. $100 OE wheels won't cut it, you're going to need some boutique hubs laced to some carbon to get full points. BB5's? pft. Better bring some Hope or XTR to the party! There is a thread for posting your singlespeed if that is what you want to do. If you want to post your bid at "baddest" singlespeed, well, you're going to have to bring something truly special to the table. Look at some of the other builds in here and you can get a sense for what you need. I have a Ti bike with carbon, chris king, XTR, etc. I haven't posted it here yet because compared to some of the other bikes already posted, my bike is just a clunky beater.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    The "baddest singlespeed" is not one that is going to be using bargain basement bits, as defined by the OP. There is nothing wrong with a Gravity SS, but is a $500 aluminum singlespeed really the "baddest"? This thread is for the singlespeed that was built while using hundred dollar bills to light your cuban cigars. $100 OE wheels won't cut it, you're going to need some boutique hubs laced to some carbon to get full points. BB5's? pft. Better bring some Hope or XTR to the party! There is a thread for posting your singlespeed if that is what you want to do. If you want to post your bid at "baddest" singlespeed, well, you're going to have to bring something truly special to the table. Look at some of the other builds in here and you can get a sense for what you need. I have a Ti bike with carbon, chris king, XTR, etc. I haven't posted it here yet because compared to some of the other bikes already posted, my bike is just a clunky beater.
    Hell, my Virtue cost £1,600+ ($2100+) to build in it's current form - and that was a lot of patience and bargain hunting, just to get it that low.

How much more of a spend are you talking about ?

mtbr member

I've not had an issue...
    Looks a bit better maybe than the Fox 34 I tried (2016 I think) but that arch seems way more substantial/beefier. Might try one if I find it on the cheaps, thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am liking my new Tranny 29...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post

I really don't like orange. Or yellow. But that is an awesome orange.... very nice!!! What is the weight? Looks like you pulled out all of the stops.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So am I - very nice

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Looks awesome, nice color and build kit too. I just ordered some Maxxis tires for my rig.

Sir9 SS rigid
    Trek Remedy
    Foes FXR
    Titus Eleven

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Lovely burnt copper colour like a tranny in a sun bed ;d
    Riding bikes means life behind bars, except no TV :-d

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    Hell, I have over $2800 in my 2001 Homegrown built into a SS. I will probably spend more putting it on a diet, but it's sub-20lbs as it stands now. LOVE this bike!
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ~ John Howard

MaxTheCyclist.com
    There are two types of people in this world... Those who see threads like this as an opportunity to share rad bikes, and those who actually think this thread is a competition...
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I'll 2nd the White Industries suggestion, I've used Shimano and ACS and the WI is much better than both and rebuildable. I've seen a few used go for pretty good deals on fleabay. I also have the ENO 18T on a Surly new hub and love it, but would prefer the chainline to match to the middle ring of a triple instead of the outer ring. However, it's a small compromise since I love the hub. I do have a WI eccentric eno disc hub I'm meaning to build for my RMB Blizzard and may use it on the MUSS just to see if I prefer it to the Surly. I will be getting a Dos one of these days for the Eno hub, probably 16/18 so I can continue to run the AB NW oval chainring. WI is badass all round.
    The WI is sweet, but I'm a cheap bastard. And somehow my ACS and Surly hubs outlived my first SSMTB and now spin on my Cross Check. It's crunchy sometimes, but it's doing OK for a 15 year freewheel and the hubs are still butter.

Who has the baddest singlespeed?-img-20150115-00564.jpg
    On heavy rotation: Stooge 27.5+ SS, On-One Fatty, On-One 456 EVO, Surly Cross-Check, Scott CR1 (SS road)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Looks awesome, nice color and build kit too. I just ordered some Maxxis tires for my rig.
    Thank you! I honestly did not want the Orange, but I needed a new frame quick and it was this or the black and blue. I was not a fan of the blue, so orange it was. It turned out better than I expected and I have grown to like it. I was originally going for the all black frame as I thought it would look nice with my silver hubs and a silver head set and other silver touches, but this works...

As for the build I did kind of go all out, but this is my primary bike. It is set up pretty nice with I9 wheels, Maxxis Ikon 2.35 tires, Chris King headset and BB, Raceface Next SL cranks, a 2016 100mm Reba, Thompson post and stem, Truvativ T30 bar, Ergon saddle and grips, and XT brakes. With all my race kit on the bike it still weighs less than 22 pounds (the big Maxxis tires are heavy and added about 1/2 pound over the Rocket Rons I had on it). With 2.25 Ro-Ro's on it and no tube or pump and Time carbon 8 pedals instead of the XTR's it was 20.8, now it is 21.7 or 21.9 ish (call it 22 pounds).

I have been on a lot of different SS bikes from 853 and XO steel to Titanium and have loved them all, but this Tranny is somewhat different. It has very different geometry with the low BB, very short rear end, and steep head angle than what I am used to so it is quick to turn. But what is most impressive is the stiffness. I never thought I would be able to tell a difference but the power transfer is noticeably better and faster from my other frames. Something between the Next cranks and the Tranny's frame really puts the power down. I am running the same gear and it feel totally different, much faster to accelerate and responds like nothing else. Don't get me going on how it climbs!! I am glad I made this purchase!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    When I decide to try carbon,the Tranny is one of my top choices. I've had Ti but 26" SS and steel with my 2 Sir9's the newer one with the new 853DBZ and 142x12 drops with chain stay brakes did feel a lot better. I also run the RF NextSL cranks. There is something about the power transfer of a dialed in drive train. I think it's part of reason why I only ride SS these days.

Sir9 SS rigid
    Trek Remedy
    Foes FXR
    Titus Eleven

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just finished building this 2014 as a rigid ss. I had the frame powder coated Kawasaki green and put new decals on.
    Build:
    Voodoo 500 rigid fork
    cane creek 40 HS
    thomson stem
    Azonic bars
    ODI grips
    Stans wheelset with Flow rims, Stans 330 rear and 330 HD front hub.
    SRAM crankset
    bontrager carbon post
    WTB Volt saddle
    Deore brakeset
    34t Blackspire ring
    Forte platform pedals
    Who has the baddest singlespeed?-img_6012-2-.jpgWho has the baddest singlespeed?-img_6019-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Love the colour

mtbr member
    I guess people don't really understand the meaning of 'Baddest Singlespeed'. I will try to explain:

This thread is supposed to be a place to show off your high-dollar-blingy-titanium-carbon-Chris-King-Anodized-Wonder-Bike. Bikes that make people say 'WOW how much did you spend on that thing!'

There's nothing wrong with your average-Joe singlespeed bike, but there are plenty of other threads to show them off.

Steps down...

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I guess people don't really understand the meaning of 'Baddest Singlespeed'. I will try to explain:

This thread is supposed to be a place to show off your high-dollar-blingy-titanium-carbon-Chris-King-Anodized-Wonder-Bike. Bikes that make people say 'WOW how much did you spend on that thing!'

There's nothing wrong with your average-Joe singlespeed bike, but there are plenty of other threads to show them off.

Steps down...
    Different people have different opinions. To me, the baddest singlespeed is a mad-max style, hacked together, murdered-out, post-apocalyptic, gets-ridden death-bike. Punk rock on two wheels, that's bad.

Other people's pictures:

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Steps down...
    If that's the case then it should be renamed the "Concourse Single Speed" thread =- not "Baddest"

and as for "high-dollar" - again (as I asked previously) please define

Mine cost $2100+ to build and would have probably cost a lot more without the insane amount of bargain hunting I did.

Is that enough ? not enough ? too much ?

mtbr member
    People still don't get it. From the first post on this thread: 'all-out no expense-spared builds'

Quote Originally Posted by 3-Vok View Post
    Mine cost $2100+ to build and would have probably cost a lot more without the insane amount of bargain hunting I did.

Is that enough ? not enough ? too much ?
    There is no exact price point, but to fit the above definition, I would think just the frame should cost at least that much!

MaxTheCyclist.com
    People still don't get it. From the first post on this thread: 'all-out no expense-spared builds'

There is no exact price point, but to fit the above definition, I would think just the frame should cost at least that much!
    Why is your opinion of a badass singlespeed more valid than anyone else's?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast