Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Who considers themselves Angry Single Speeders?

4K views 40 replies 37 participants last post by  C Cow 
#1 ·
:m:mad: I admit it I am an Angry Single Speeder. sometimes anger is all I have to get me up that hill. To be able to push yourself to the point your guts may explode out your arse. To push so hard hen you get to the top you feel like your drowning from the humidity and lack of oxygen.Anger is what drives me, i will drop out of a ride to go back and try again just so i can clean it. I like anger , it keeps me warm.:mad::mad::mad::madman::madmax::madmax: , I love my single speed!

#32 ·
Depends on when you ask me I guess...I've gotten ON a bike (S.S. OR gears) in every conceivable mood, but never gotten OFF one anything but happy. Maybe for a second if I have to shove a hill, but that's at myself (not the biggest health fanatic:nono:) and it always goes away as soon as I see whats on the other side to ride.:thumbsup:

#33 ·
I ride a Singlespeed to conquer my anger! I climb hills to push the anger back into the dark place it came from.... When I feel myself getting angry I get on the bike and ride and after a while (it varies). When my lungs and legs are whining then I start to feel human again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#36 ·
I get where you're coming from, OP. Yes, I'm SS/hill angry too. My best climbs start with a Rebel Yell and continue on with wild combination handlebar/pedal abuse until the hill is beneath me. Sometimes it feels like nightmare dream-running in which the legs get all slow as if running through water... the only way to free oneself from that evil whirlpool sucking you back down into the abyss is to kick and pull and fight and look for the next spot where you can get traction. Sometimes the abyss wins, sometimes the life form wins. Entropy always wins.

I love singlespeeding too. The best part of angry hill climbing on a SS is that it's full of anger-free anger.

#39 ·
This Angry Singlespeeder business has about as much appeal as another PBR wielding hipster.
Meh.
I don't view singlespeeding as a lifestyle choice, philosophy, religion, or mood association. If I had to apply a label to myself I suppose it would be "Rider". That's it. My bike is a single speed, yes... but really that's incidental.

#40 ·
Not me. It's the joy I get from riding my bike and knowing this is the best possible thing for my health. Most other things in life cause physical degradation to the body which, over time, negatively effects the enjoyment of life. Riding a bike is a key component to the enjoyment of life, and that makes me love riding, not to mention it's a lot of fun!

#41 ·
The "Angry Singlespeeder" is a fraud, but maybe it depends on how you look at it. He posted an article about pedaling to Sea Otter, on a bicycle which had gear shifters visible in some of the images. I assume the bike was not a SS, safe assumption with shifters. Is he a SSer or not? Am I?

I like riding bikes, and I've been enjoying SS on all my bikes for a few years now; mtb, road, CX. I don't call myself a SSer, cause I ride a geared bike occasionally. My downhill bike has gears, and I haven't decided what ratio to aim for on that bike, with a mix of lift trails, and exploring. I rode a geared road bike last year, for a week, and I thought it was nice. I'm a cyclist, who prefers SS, maybe like a drinker who prefers to drink only beer, but consumes other such liquids on occasion.

Why is he angry? Maybe he's angry because he feels he has to ride a SS to be somebody, to standout, or maybe because he prefers geared bikes. Being forced to ride a SS could cause anger, if you don't enjoy it, and maybe that's his situation. With that, I guess I'm a happy SSer. For whatever reason he calls himself Angry, he has written a few articles that are slightly interesting, and have enjoyed widespread notice, and all that takes a bit of time, energy, creativity, and commitment. The end result of all that is that readers will find him an interesting character, and his musings entertaining, which I would love for my own rambling posts on this site. (Are you still there?)

Moo!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.