mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Smile white industries dos eno with EBB / double double - experiences?

Hi all. I'd love to take my bling newly put together SS on a 100km killer odsessy we have Down Under, but the ride entails some big climbs! It'd be a great challenge, but before I give in and ride my geared bike, I wanted to look at the possibility of the White Industries Dos Eno. I currently have 4 sizes of the Eno freewheel that I run on a Phil hub. My bike is hardtail with vertical dropouts and a Phil Wood Eccentric bottom bracket for tension duties. So:

- I assume that, to flick between rear freewheel gear sizes, I'd have to make slack via the EBB, sling the chosen rear cog, and retension the chain?

- I am trying to think of a way to keep this process simple. Would you set initial chain length and tension on the larger rear cog (making sure there's plenty of room on the EBB to tension the chain)? Thus when dropping to smaller rear cog, and the resultant chain slack, you'd adjust the EBB forward?

- would there be scope to run 2 front rings? I run Race Face Deus XC's that have provision for this. Would that get even messier and create tension/chainline nightmares? I am aware of the "4 tooth rule" where chain length remains essentially the same. So thus, if I ran a Dos 17/19 freewheel, and, say, 36/34 (17-36 for normal use and 19-34 for climbs), could I potentially just release the rear quick release , drop the wheel out slightly, hook up the desired gear, and whack the wheel back in? Geez, I dunno!

- would it be worth coughing up for the White Industries "double/double" crankset/drivetrain? I will be commuting alot on this bike (trails and road), so this setup may work, albeit pricey!

It might all prove to be too much of a pain on a 100km ride with a bunch of big climbs. I suppose I'd love to hear from anyone who have had specific experience using the Dos freewheel on a bike with vertical rear drops and an EBB....

Hope that made sense!

Mat
    Last edited by mat-with-one-t; 11-24-2011 at 05:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Am pretty keen to smash the oddessy ss next year two, did you run it geared this year, how was it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Haven't done it, so I plan to ride various sections on the geared bike and take note of gearing requirements, especially on the big climbs! Chime in with gearing if anyone's done the Oddessy on a SS!
    Kona Odyssey

nothing to see here
    I've done it the last two years on a SS. 33:19 both years I think. Planning to go 33:17 this year on my 29er.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    The premise of the White Industries Double/Double is that you don't need to change chain length to run the two different gears they spec. Either you run the chain in the inner two positions, or the outer two positions...the chain length doesn't change for those two gears.

In theory, you should be able to drop the rear wheel out of the drops move the chain to the other gear, and re-install the rear wheel...no re-adjusting of the EBB at all.

If the 2 gears offered by the system are right for you, I think it's a slick system.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Am I able to run a Dos Eno rear freewheel, and just add another chainring to the next spot in on my Raceface cranks? Does anyone know the spacing between the Dos Eno freewheel cogs? I'd imagine that, if I have the same (or really close) spacing on front chainrings, then there's no need for the full front DoubleDouble setup. I suspect that the reason for the front doubleDouble is that, as it's a single hunk of metal for the 2 chainring sizes, then the spacing is tighter, and thus matches the rear & maintai9ns nice chainlines...? Does the Double Double chainring work on a "normal" spider (4 point RaceFace Dues XC in my case)? Otherwise, could be looking at up to $500 total for one more gear!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mat-with-one-t View Post
    Am I able to run a Dos Eno rear freewheel, and just add another chainring to the next spot in on my Raceface cranks? Does anyone know the spacing between the Dos Eno freewheel cogs? I'd imagine that, if I have the same (or really close) spacing on front chainrings, then there's no need for the full front DoubleDouble setup...
    I run a Dos Eno 16/18 freewheel on an Eno Eccentric Hub with a Truvativ Stylo crank and a 32t chainring on the inside, and a 34 chainring on the outside. The chain lines work out fine. I find that there is a slight change in CS-length between the 32:18 and 34:16 setup, but since I'm using a Eno Eccentric hub, you have to re-set it when you loosen the rear wheel anyways.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Gotcha. I wouldn't bother unless I can manage to not have to alter the chain tension/chain line between the 2 gears, as I am looking at doing some events where I'd love to be able to get to the bottom of a climb and quickly release QR back wheel, flick chain to new gear, and whack wheel back in and go (maybe 30secs?). I have an EBB with vertical drops/disc rear. This would mean no other adjustments. I plan to do a 100km race soon with some BIG climbs, so wanted a granny for climbs and 2nd gear for everything else. Maybe 19/34, 17/36. Can you tell me the spacing between the Dos Eno cogs? I want to see if I can match the spacing up front with Salsa rings on my Raceface Dues XC cranks....Cheers! Mat

mtbr member
    i never went this route (DOS ENO) because the 2 tooth difference doesn't spread the gear ratio out enough for me, especially for a road cruising gear.

a cassette hub with 2 cogs and spacers aligns in the same to a double chainring with a single chain length, except this gives you lots of options for the two gear ratios.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah. But I need to use freewheels on my Phil rear hub. This really only leaves the dos eno approach. 17/36 & 19/34 may actually be useful....I'm trying to decide whether to go all out and use White Ind. front end with their double (one piece) chainring crankset or just figure it out with 2 Salsa rings on my current Dues XC cranks....

AZ
    banned
    Yeah. But I need to use freewheels on my Phil rear hub. This really only leaves the dos eno approach. 17/36 & 19/34 may actually be useful....I'm trying to decide whether to go all out and use White Ind. front end with their double (one piece) chainring crankset or just figure it out with 2 Salsa rings on my current Dues XC cranks....

Use the least expensive option to "figure it out", A lot less painful if it doesn't pan out. My two cents.

mtbr member
    ... Can you tell me the spacing between the Dos Eno cogs? I want to see if I can match the spacing up front with Salsa rings on my Raceface Dues XC cranks....Cheers! Mat
    5.8mm

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable View Post
    5.8mm
    Cheers mate. I'll try a second ring and measure gap...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Another question (if anyone's still there!). I am inclined to stick with current cranks and just mix and match front (standard 104bcd 4 bolt) rings. I notice that White Industries also do a Dos Eno Freewheel in 16/19. I read up on the "4 tooth rule", but would a "6 tooth rule" apply by the same reasoning (where, provided number of teeth for each gear ratio is the same, then the chain length remains the same). Given the 16/19 has a wider spread (and I'm after a "flat/undulating" gear for singletrack, and a "***** of a sustained climb" gear), then could I do something like:

- 16/35 & 19/32

I'd imagine this would be a pretty useful pair of gears on my 26".

Would it mean that I'd just need to keep a 3 tooth difference between the front chainrings to keep the chain length the same (eg. 35/32, 36/33, 37/34, etc...)?

Thanks again all! Mat

mtbr member
    Another question (if anyone's still there!). I am inclined to stick with current cranks and just mix and match front (standard 104bcd 4 bolt) rings. I notice that White Industries also do a Dos Eno Freewheel in 16/19. I read up on the "4 tooth rule", but would a "6 tooth rule" apply by the same reasoning (where, provided number of teeth for each gear ratio is the same, then the chain length remains the same). Given the 16/19 has a wider spread (and I'm after a "flat/undulating" gear for singletrack, and a "***** of a sustained climb" gear), then could I do something like:

- 16/35 & 19/32

I'd imagine this would be a pretty useful pair of gears on my 26".

Would it mean that I'd just need to keep a 3 tooth difference between the front chainrings to keep the chain length the same (eg. 35/32, 36/33, 37/34, etc...)?

Thanks again all! Mat
    http://eehouse.org/fixin/fixmeup.php

Best tool to find out which ratios fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks mate. I have been dicking around with that one! Mat

SpinDoctor

So what was your final answer?

Thanks mate. I have been dicking around with that one! Mat
    Mat,

I think I'm on the same path as you, just one month behind. I'm curious to learn what you ended up doing and what your impressions have been thus far.

On a side note, does anybody know whether the WI 16/19t freewheel is available individually or only as part of the Double/Double package and, if so, where's the best place to pick one up?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Still waiting on a few chainrings from HomeBrewed. Plan to go 32/19, 35/16. Got a Dos Eno 16/19 on special by itself from Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Ben's Cycle for $88. Not bad! They only come in blue. I used a chainlength calculator and hopefully these two ratios will work together! Mat

Pistol
    Jun 2007
    Am I able to run a Dos Eno rear freewheel, and just add another chainring to the next spot in on my Raceface cranks? Does anyone know the spacing between the Dos Eno freewheel cogs? I'd imagine that, if I have the same (or really close) spacing on front chainrings, then there's no need for the full front DoubleDouble setup. I suspect that the reason for the front doubleDouble is that, as it's a single hunk of metal for the 2 chainring sizes, then the spacing is tighter, and thus matches the rear & maintai9ns nice chainlines...? Does the Double Double chainring work on a "normal" spider (4 point RaceFace Dues XC in my case)? Otherwise, could be looking at up to $500 total for one more gear!!
    Yeah,the chainline works great on your plan.I currently run a similar system on my 29er and used one (although fixed,using a Surly Dingle) on my big tour of WA...