mtbr member

White BB - durability and length

So it's time to replace the cranks on my SS. Have known for a while that I'll be going to White ENO cranks.

So, the big question is White BB or Phil? I know Phil is great, but haven't heard much about White BB. If they are anything like their other parts, they're solid.

Additionally, looking at length, 113mm or 121mm. Any suggestions? It'll be going on a Salsa Mamasita.

bap
    mtbr member
    I've been running a 113 Ti spindle WI BB and its been extremely smooth. I can't really speak to the durability or compare to a Phil since it hasn't been on the bike that long but so far I like it. It might not have the bling factor of a phil since it's basically just two cups, some enduro bearings and a spindle but it spins smoothly and was machined nicely, overall I'm very happy. Another plus is I got a Ti spindle for the price of a normal Phil and I didn't have to buy special cup tools...

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    If I had to do it again, I'd go for the White Ind over the Phil. Even when the bearings do wear out, they're easier to replace on the White Ind.

- factotum -
    Quote Originally Posted by bap
    Another plus is I got a Ti spindle for the price of a normal Phil and I didn't have to buy special cup tools...
    Good point, mentioning the extra tools.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wish the ti spindle could take 180lbs though. Apparently they consider me too fat! Damn skinny bunch of racer boys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What's your rear chainline? The White Ind cranks are at 47.5mm with a 113mm BB spindle. With the 121mm they'd be at 51.5mm. If you're using their hub and freewheel, go with the 113, if you're using a Surly or Phil Wood hub, go with the 121. Measure your rear first. If you're using a freehub and can adjust your rear chainline, probably just go 113 to narrow up your Q factor.

mtbr member

white

Thanks for the help.

I just ordered the 113mm. Yes, I'm running with a white free wheel on a eno hub, so it should do the trick.

Can't wait to get them, for both the bling factor and the weight savings (currently running a stylo 1.1. Thought about the Ti, but decided on a steel.

bap
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyd
    Thanks for the help.

I just ordered the 113mm. Yes, I'm running with a white free wheel on a eno hub, so it should do the trick.

Can't wait to get them, for both the bling factor and the weight savings (currently running a stylo 1.1. Thought about the Ti, but decided on a steel.
    good choice! That BB should work out really well!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ordered WI BB a week ago, still havent got it yet! My dealer said they are shipping them out next week. I should of went the ebay route, I could be cranking on the ENO's this weekend but it looks like I will be using the Stylo's too!