Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    More Bacon
    Jan 2009

Where have all the 26rs gone?

I've been looking to get a 26r SS. But it seems that not many manufacturers make them anymore, or at least their pre-built bikes are all 29rs.

For example, I'd like a Redline Monocog 26r Flight, but they only make the Flight in 29r now.
    Kona Unit no longer has a 26r ss
    Bianchi's SISS no longer comes in 26r
    Haro makes the Beasly, 29r.
    Felt, only a 29r.
    GT Peace, 29r
    SE Stout, 29r..
    etc....

I know there's some frames out there that I could buy and build my own: like a Surly 1x1, Soma 4one5, or a used frame.

But the bigger question I'm asking is that there's a reason everyone's gone 29r? Should I bite the bullet and just go with it? I'm a bit worried that I'm not going to have the gas to get those big wheels up the hills, and also I ride a lot of tight twisties. I feel like I'd miss the accelerations. I'm not sitting here thinking that I really want 29r, but is this the case of I don't know what I'm missing?

Thanks for any input and I'll continue reading the forum. It'd probably help if I could actually ride a 29r SS...but I doubt I'll be able to find one around here.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I was in the same boat as you. I just couldn't find a cheap but good 26 inch ss. I don't want the big wheels either. I like the quick exceleration i get and the flickability of my 26 in bike is nice. I ordered a 26 inch On One frame and it is on its way now. I am only 5'9" so I don't want a huge big wheel bike. I am not sure why all of the companies are going 29 but I do believe both frame sizes are good for certain riders and trails. I wish more people would offer 26" ss bikes. Hopefully all will come full circle and 26" frames will be offered again with more companies. I haven't had a 29" ss rider beat me in a race yet so I am not sold.

Let's ride SuperModerator
    29er SS gives more traction on the steep/power climbs. It also smooths out the trails, rolling over rocks/roots better. It makes it feel like your bike has 1" of suspension.
    29ers aren't as nimble, and don't rock around tight switchbacks as well. They're really stable on the high speed stuff though.
    I have no issues spinning up my wheels, accelerating out of corners, or keeping up with friends on 26". I'm 5'8".

mtbr member
    May 2009
    If you look at the fastest racers on earth, mostly European riders none of them ride 29 inch wheels. The reason is because of the short falls. But that is not to say 29 inch bikes aren't good at what they were designed to do. I just feel there should still be options for people who want tiny wheels. You have to give up a little which ever way you go. In a perfect world we would all be allowed to have one of each, but I am not rich and no sponsors are knocking on the door with free bikes.

I Void Waranties
    Good Topic,

Funny thing is cycling is not all about racing..if this was all about what is faster then maybe... Any way I had a chance to use my frds 29'er I must say its very comfortable and roles over things that will serprise you...and it hard to go over the bars its good fun esoecially for bigger guys,, but deep in my hart I still love 26'ers ...maybe its because i came from a 20" wheel backgroud
    im 6ft and about 100Kg
    if you like to mess around as well you could conssidder to get a blk market with two seat posts. one for messing around and one for the trails.

http://www.blackmarketbikes.com/

another nice option that are more trail oriantated is trek 69'er

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ersinglespeed/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Go ride one and see. Keep an open mind. I excel in the tight areas, climbs, technical flat areas, and maintaining speed compared to the FS 26ers I usually ride with. They always get me on the downhills, but whatever, I'm riding a rigid SS.

I Void Waranties
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Go ride one and see. Keep an open mind. I excel in the tight areas, climbs, technical flat areas, and maintaining speed compared to the FS 26ers I usually ride with. They always get me on the downhills, but whatever, I'm riding a rigid SS.
    well said, though some might argue that a 9er handle better at speed it will be of no use if you are not confident on what you ride.

mtbr member
    I prefer 29ers and suggest that you try before you decide. But if you want a 26, Jenson has a killer deal on the Jamis SS Exile for less than $200:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...nglespeed.aspx

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have one of those Jenson Jamis Exiles and its pretty sweet--lots of the popular sizes are out of stock now. Got me off my crappy old Al frame & tensioner singlespeeds. If I was gonna only have 1 bike, it would definitely be a 29'er hardtail capable of SS & gears. But I have 3 bikes, all 26"--an Exile SS, a Kona SS DJ/Urban hardtail and 5" geared dual suspension. Its nice to be able to swap wheels and tires and forks around depending on what I'm in the mood for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I hear ya man. I may get shot saying this around here but uh, 29ers? Not my thing. The ONLY advantage I've seen on 29ers is them handling technical rock-beds easier. Besides that, everything else about a 26er I love.

My opinion may change with time, I don't know, but right now I'm quite happy with my 26er converted and if anything in the future I would probably still guy a vertical drop hardtail frame and convert it unless I found a frame with horizontal drops that I liked. That allows a ton more frame options for me and since I'm not nazi about the tensioner being on the bike it's no sweat for me in that department anyway.

More Bacon
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the input. I actually test rode a Gary Fisher Paragon 29r a couple months ago -- with gears, and wasn't in love with it. However, today at a local XC race, I talked to one guy racing a 29r and he said that he'd never go back now, but he wasn't into it for his first few rides...and then I talked to another guy who had the Soma 4one5 26r and he was telling me that if he had to do it all over again, he'd be on a 29r. And since these guys ride trails around here, I'll give the 29r another shot.

I'm going to go try a 29 SS and see how well and can accelerate and spin the thing up and take it from there. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Give Chad a call at www.ridesoul.com of Soul Cycles, great frames made of Easton Extra Lite for $350 and shipped cheap. They are in AZ.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i still have 26 alu monocog that i've stopped riding in favor of my 1x9 el mariachi. if you're a tall fellow (it's a 21" frame) i'd be willing to part with it.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    they are only for the enthusiasts , people whole appreciate the simpler design....and the poor folk( like me)
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

I Void Waranties
    i tried the fisher 29 as well with gears and have to agree that it was not a great bike for me either, my frnds NINER will likely be the one for me if I had to be on one. Its nice and light and plenty of comfortable runnning 2.35 tubeless. It does not have a Horizontal drop outs but it has one of those fancy bottom brackets so that a chain tensioner is not required. I believe its the Niner One if I remember right. Just get one and "pedal damn it"

http://www.ninerbikes.com/

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    29er SS gives more traction on the steep/power climbs. It also smooths out the trails, rolling over rocks/roots better. It makes it feel like your bike has 1" of suspension.
    29ers aren't as nimble, and don't rock around tight switchbacks as well. They're really stable on the high speed stuff though.
    I have no issues spinning up my wheels, accelerating out of corners, or keeping up with friends on 26". I'm 5'8".
    Agree except that I find them just as nimble dependent on frame geometry....I'm 6'2". Haro Mary SS is sweet geometry!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    they are only for the enthusiasts , people whole appreciate the simpler design....and the poor folk( like me)
    a 26" SS is simpler than a 29" SS?

To add one, 26ers are also for people whose LBSes don't carry 29ers and if they do they aren't the right size. No way am I buying blind
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

More Bacon
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob

...26ers are also for people whose LBSes don't carry 29ers and if they do they aren't the right size...
    This is exactly the problem I'm having, except none of the shops around here carry 26r SSs. Only 29r, which started this dilema. (I should add with very limited selection.)

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob

To add one, 26ers are also for people whose LBSes don't carry 29ers and if they do they aren't the right size. No way am I buying blind
    cough * I was a just Cough cough*

mtbr member
    May 2009

26er versus 29er SS choice

Interesting thread ...

I don't know that there is any truly quantitative data on the subject, but there is a good article on 26 versus 29 inch wheel format at:

http://www.steve-z.com/trail-tested-...ich-is-better/

I'll also post my own experience, however, this is not an apples to apples comparison per se. I recently purchased a Spot Longboard SS 29er and have 3-4 months on it. I ride with a buddy who has a 26 inch Bianchi SS that I have ridden a fair amount. I believe each bike has it's advantages and disadvantages and choice is often a matter of personal preference.

For fast tight singletrack, I find the 26er to be more flickable and feel more natural. I also believe the 26er has a slight advantage on really tough climbs but you will have a bit more wheelspin. The 29er excels in rolling terrain where it is noticeably faster (same gearing 2:1) and rolling over small bumps and obstacles.

I like the 9er but I'm in no hurry to unload my FS 26ers anytime soon.

More Bacon
    Jan 2009
    Hey all, I thought I'd share this with you since I just stumbled upon it. GT hasn't sold the Peace 26r in teh U.S. for awhile. However, by freak of nature, Performance Bike got a hold of some 26rs and are blowing them out for $500. So, it looks like I get to have my pre-built 26r with decent-enough build after all.

I just ordered one, since it has a nice long top-tube and appropriate standover clearance for me. So, it looks like I got my cake:

Here's the bike on the Australian website: http://www.gtbicycles.com/aus/eng/Pr...ard-Tail/#5801

And here's the linke to Performance for the $500 deal: Performance Bike GT Peace 26r

I will admit, after reading more about the 29r and looking at some...I may have 29r envy. There's a lot of nice 29rs out there! Maybe next year, right?

Rusting Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by taudep
    But the bigger question I'm asking is that there's a reason everyone's gone 29r? Should I bite the bullet and just go with it? I'm a bit worried that I'm not going to have the gas to get those big wheels up the hills, and also I ride a lot of tight twisties. I feel like I'd miss the accelerations. I'm not sitting here thinking that I really want 29r, but is this the case of I don't know what I'm missing?
    I still prefer a 26" wheeled bike to 29'ers just based on personal preference. Having said that though, I highly doubt you'll notice any real downsides to riding a 29'er even in hills and tight twisties. In fact, most of my friends on them have gotten faster in both those areas than they ever were on their 26" wheel bikes.

the 69/96'er setups are actually my favorite setups in tight twisty, rocky, rooty, technical terrain, but again full on 29'ers rip through that terrain too. I even have friends who jump and ride them like bmx bikes.

I wouldn't hold much stock in the "feels like 1" of suspension" argument though. A rigid bike is a rigid bike. I ride rigid ss 26 and my friends all ride rigid ss 29 and things that rattle me rattle them and vice versa. Tire pressure and volume of either wheel size is what dictates supple vs harsh.

Again, wheel acceleration and climbing are two areas that I doubt will ever be an issue with a 29'er (unless your running ridiculously heavy wheels and tires and even 26" bikes suffer there too) or even turning. The drawbacks for me are fit based and just the fact that I still really love riding my 26" bike over the 29'ers I've ridden.

Mountain Lion Bait
    Quote Originally Posted by g-bike
    Give Chad a call at www.ridesoul.com of Soul Cycles, great frames made of Easton Extra Lite for $350 and shipped cheap. They are in AZ.

I've got a Soul Cycles SS Hooligan. It rocks.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    the 26er seems to have gone off to where the buffalo roam

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by renderedtoast
    I've got a Soul Cycles SS Hooligan. It rocks.
    Please tell me it's green. That metallic green they've got does funny things to me. Is it green?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast