Lazy People Suck

Where to go for a biking vacation this year?

My buddies and I try to go on a biking vacation every year and are trying to decide where to go this year. The criteria is basically it has to have a week's worth of great riding in the US. we will probably go in late July. We are considering Fruita, Durango, Bend Oregon, Vermont and Pisgah.

Two years ago we spent a week in Crested Butte and loved it. Last year everyone's schedule conflicted so we just spent a long weekend at Cave Run Lake KY, which is an excellent place for the Midwest (We are all Indiana guys)

Anyone have a any suggestions or if you have done some of the places listed above, which one would you go to and why?

Thanks
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    My buddies and I try to go on a biking vacation every year and are trying to decide where to go this year. The criteria is basically it has to have a week's worth of great riding in the US. we will probably go in late July. We are considering Fruita, Durango, Bend Oregon, Vermont and Pisgah.

Thanks
    i have ridden alot in vermont. however, i used to live in CA and spent a summer as a mtb guide in CO. go west.
    vermont is great, no question. but really no comparison to some of the riding i did in colorado. durango was great. never rode fruita, but that is very high on my list of future riding spots. it's just really far from an airport.
    i rode pikes peak area, steamboat, durango, telluride, moab and some other places in between. they are all great. that summer was a blur of singletrack through aspens.
    you should consider doing a week epic like part of the CO trail. kokopelli looks cool, but i heard it's not technical.
    hope that helps.
    Only boring people get bored.

meatier showers

The Oregon Trail

...in late July. We are considering Fruita, Durango, Bend Oregon, Vermont and Pisgah.
    Bend has some great stuff, but can get dusty in the summer months. But don't let that deter you from heading to Oregon. If the weather is dry enough to make Bend a dusty place then just head west across the Cascades (one hour drive from Bend) and find yourself in Oakridge. Oakridge is the mountain biking jewel of Oregon, and we've got plenty of precious stones to choose from in this state. Ever heard of the Cascade Cream Puff 100 Mile race? It happens right outside of Oakridge on the Alpine Trail. There's enough local singletrack to keep you busy for a week, easily. In addition to the Alpine Trail, there's Tire Mountain Tr., Salmon Creek, Middle Fork, Moon Point, Larison Creek Tr., Larison Rock Tr. (not to confuse the two Larisons), Hardesty Mtn, North Fork Tr., Lawler Tr., Sawtooth, Goodman Cr. Tr., Lost Creek, Saddleblanket Mtn, Flat Cr. Tr., Bunchgrass Tr., and the list goes on and on. Waldo Lake and it's awesome network of singletrack (including Maiden Peak, Fuji Mtn., The Twins, Charlton Butte, etc., etc.) is only 20 minutes east of Oakridge as well.

The Summer RideFest happens in Oakridge the weekend of July 15-18. Start there and you'll instantly become hooked on more righteous singletrack than you can shake a floor pump at. If you plan to go epic (and there are plenty of epic rides available), bring a 34x20 or equivalent gear. It ain't hard to assemble rides with 10,000' or more of gain.

You won't be disappointed in the Oregon experience. But please don't tell anybody else how good we've got it out here. Our trails are uncrowded and we wanna keep 'em thataway.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Jed Peters
    Definately look for attending the Downieville Gathering this year.

You can do some of the great sierra rides, then head over to Tahoe for more than enough "epic" experience.

Other than that, I highly recommend looking into Canmore, Alberta (the Canmore Gathering will give you a week full of rides that will kick your booty.)

Different strokes for different folks, though. I found eastern Oregon to be wholly unchallenging and boring. However, if you like fast smooth singletrack up and down, it was alright.

Inrideo est vita

Two years ago we spent a week in Crested Butte and loved it. Last year everyone's schedule conflicted so we just spent a long weekend at Cave Run Lake KY, which is an excellent place for the Midwest (We are all Indiana guys)

Anyone have a any suggestions or if you have done some of the places listed above, which one would you go to and why?

Thanks
    Hey man, my friends and I are trying to get into that habit as well; you're welcome to join us on this years trip... we could make it an international gathering.
    Check it out at http://www.theride.ca/smokey.html

Not everyone who is going are SS'ers; but they are nice people anyway.

I always wanted to see Pisgah and Tsali
    Last edited by SSteel; 04-20-2004 at 08:54 PM.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Bend has some great stuff, but can get dusty in the summer months. But don't let that deter you from heading to Oregon. If the weather is dry enough to make Bend a dusty place then just head west across the Cascades (one hour drive from Bend) and find yourself in Oakridge. Oakridge is the mountain biking jewel of Oregon, and we've got plenty of precious stones to choose from in this state. Ever heard of the Cascade Cream Puff 100 Mile race? It happens right outside of Oakridge on the Alpine Trail. There's enough local singletrack to keep you busy for a week, easily. In addition to the Alpine Trail, there's Tire Mountain Tr., Salmon Creek, Middle Fork, Moon Point, Larison Creek Tr., Larison Rock Tr. (not to confuse the two Larisons), Hardesty Mtn, North Fork Tr., Lawler Tr., Sawtooth, Goodman Cr. Tr., Lost Creek, Saddleblanket Mtn, Flat Cr. Tr., Bunchgrass Tr., and the list goes on and on. Waldo Lake and it's awesome network of singletrack (including Maiden Peak, Fuji Mtn., The Twins, Charlton Butte, etc., etc.) is only 20 minutes east of Oakridge as well.

The Summer RideFest happens in Oakridge the weekend of July 15-18. Start there and you'll instantly become hooked on more righteous singletrack than you can shake a floor pump at. If you plan to go epic (and there are plenty of epic rides available), bring a 34x20 or equivalent gear. It ain't hard to assemble rides with 10,000' or more of gain.

You won't be disappointed in the Oregon experience. But please don't tell anybody else how good we've got it out here. Our trails are uncrowded and we wanna keep 'em thataway.

--Sparty
    Sparty it's already dusty here in Bend. It's been raining for the last few days though so it should give us a day or two without the dust.

Whats the condition of the alpine trail? I was going to head over and ride the area (cream puff loop) on sunday. Are you up for a ride?

Zonic man where were you riding in eastern oregon? Hwy 20.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    Sparty it's already dusty here in Bend. It's been raining for the last few days though so it should give us a day or two without the dust.

Whats the condition of the alpine trail? I was going to head over and ride the area (cream puff loop) on sunday. Are you up for a ride?

I have not been on the Alpine Trail yet this year. I know the upper portion is not accessible yet but I'm not sure just where the snowline is. I hear the storm we're currently experiencing is dumping snow above 4000' which won't help -- Apine tops out at about 4800'.

Sorry I won't be able to join you on Sunday. I'll actually be in Bend on Saturday visiting Wade to have my EBB pinch bolt replaced plus visit my kids. I'll bring the CoMotion and hope to tootle around some of your close-in stuff with the fam.

I also hope to chow down a Pilot Butte teriyaki burger while I'm there. Mmmmm... I LOVE those things!

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Go west young man

You could do Durango, Telluride and Moab on your trip. There is something almost religious about riding the slickrock in Moab, or just stay in Utah and do Moab and Park City. Park City is a cool little town, it's like a little oasis in a very conservative state. Have fun. Do you guys do the DINO series in Indiana?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Park City UT

Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    Hey man, my friends and I are trying to get into that habit as well; you're welcome to join us on this years trip... we could make it an international gathering.
    Check it out at http://www.theride.ca/smokey.html

Not everyone who is going are SS'ers; but they are nice people anyway.

I always wanted to see Pisgah and Tsali
    Go to Park City! Moab and Fruita will be too hot in July. Park City is perfect in July, Unbelievable singletrack all over the place. You can ride Deer Valley, Park City and all the way into SLC if you want...... You can also do lift runs in DV if you need a day off to acclimate to the elevation.

Lazy People Suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainwhipped
    You could do Durango, Telluride and Moab on your trip. There is something almost religious about riding the slickrock in Moab, or just stay in Utah and do Moab and Park City. Park City is a cool little town, it's like a little oasis in a very conservative state. Have fun. Do you guys do the DINO series in Indiana?
    I know, as a mountain biker, it is almost required by law that I have to make a trip to Moab at some point, but maybe it is just me going against the grain, but I would rather go to a lesser populated place. I have people tell me that Fruita and Durango have just as great riding and are less "commercial" type of mtb destinations.

A few in our group race the DINO series. I am probably the most avid racer in our group. I usually do most of the races in the series as a semi serious Sport class racer. I have too many kids activities (youth football coach, hockey dad, BMX racers, plus school stuff) to attend them all, which lessens my motivation to seriously train to win the series rather than just ride with friends and have fun. The only thing it would get me is bumped up to expert which would take even more time to train.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by cross4
    I've pretty much ridden every trail in the Bend/three sisters/mt. bachelor area and was wholly unimpressed with the quality of the riding, especially after coming from Canmore, Alberta the day before.

try driving your car less
    I know, as a mountain biker, it is almost required by law that I have to make a trip to Moab at some point, but maybe it is just me going against the grain, but I would rather go to a lesser populated place. I have people tell me that Fruita and Durango have just as great riding and are less "commercial" type of mtb destinations..
    it has been many years since i last visited moab (like 10). but still, i wouldnt exactly call it commercial. but the other guy had a point. it's very hot in the summertime. i would ride from dawn til about 9 or so. then go sit somewhere airconditioned, like a fast food place or something, and then ride about 5 til sunset. i slept in my van at the end of cane creek rd, if i remeber correctly. heat would wake me up in the morning.

one day i slept in a movie theater. just enrolled my thermarest in the back row and enjoyed the AC. slept through about 3 movies.

if you are going for a week, consider alititude. it takes a few days to acclimate to colorado. but then you feel like superman back down on the coast!
    Only boring people get bored.

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D

Colorado

If you decide to drive from Indiana, there's a lot of nice mtn ski towns along I-70 with loads of mountain biking. All chamber of commerces and bike shops have free mountain bike maps of their area. I-70 is the main freeway through the mountains and on your way to Fruita. Some good mtn bike places you can stop off at on your way to Fruita are Winter Park, Summit County (Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper), Vail Mtn, Glenwood Springs (go soak in the hot springs!!!!), Grand Junction, and lastly Fruita. You can continue on I-70 to Moab. Grand Junction, Fruita, and Moab are lower in elevation and can get very very HOT in July (mid day). If you decide on Colorado for your vacation, let me know and I can forward more info on to you since I live here. Wherever you decide to go, have fun!

Steamroller

Lots of good ideas

I would add Sedona and Whistler to the list of must ride someday spots.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

mtbr member

Moab Commercial?

your cracking me up Fett! Rednecks and red rocks, thats Moab. My last 2 times there only passed 2 other riders on trail. Its not commercial, your town is many times the size of Moab. I do think the Porcupine Rim ride is commericialized, but shuttle runs don't seem like your cup of tea anyway.

Durango is really fun too, but totally different(Moab/durango are about 4.5hours apart). Durango is a real town with trail heads accessable from the main roads. The Colorado Trail leaving from town is fun and beautiful. The air gets thin at times, so walking may be in the cards. Animas Mountain Loop is a fun in Town ride too. Last time I was there saw many pro's riding the Loop. Its only 7 miles, but its a tough climb with a great overlook of town at the top, then bomber, rocky as hell decent. North of town there was a cool trail along a river too(Animas River trail maybe?).

I would do Moab and Durango and get them out of your system. If you don't like those places Telluride and Fruita aren't a long drive.

What about Lake Tahoe too? Have you been to Arizona yet? The National and Mormon trails are calling your name!

My crowd is heading to NC next week if the rains hold off. I guess I'll get to SS Pisgah, Dupont and Tsali on the last day(we'll be tired).

MC