mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Where can I source this lockring...?

When I got home from riding today, the lockring on my rear hub was completely loose and the lockring was jammed against the dropout. Upon removing it, I see that a couple of the threads (on the lockring) are a little "bunged up". So, I'd like to get a new one.

Any idea where I can buy one of these lockrings online?

Here are a couple of pics...

There are no markings on the freehub that I can see. But, as you can see, the lockring is external. And, it's the stock wheelset (with Alex EN24 rims) on my 2010 Kona Unit 29er.

Thanks.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i think i have the same wheelset, and yeah that lockring setup is a piece of crap. Had the exact same thing happen to me a few times and now I give it a quick check every time I ride to make sure it's going to stay put.

I feel like a second lockring on top of that one with a spring washer in between would be a pretty good idea.
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

mtbr member
    that looks like the same lock ring that came with my Odyssey bmx cassette hub. http://www.danscomp.com/437127.php?cat=PARTS

one chain loop
    similar to a bottom bracket lockring
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, guys.

I still haven't been able to find one to buy online, though. Does anyone have any leads/ideas?

It look like the hub may be a Formula (as well as many other brand names). But, I'm just going off pics. So, not certain.

Steve

mtbr member
    try the link i posted two posts up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyPanda
    i think i have the same wheelset, and yeah that lockring setup is a piece of crap. Had the exact same thing happen to me a few times and now I give it a quick check every time I ride to make sure it's going to stay put.

I feel like a second lockring on top of that one with a spring washer in between would be a pretty good idea.

What's the correct tool to use with this lockring?

Thanks.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I know this thread is old, But I too am having a hard time finding this style lockring anywhere... Also not having any luck with a tool that fits it good. I thought that this old style Shimano tool would be the right tool, and it's damn close, but just slightly smaller in diameter.

I've been using two different lockring wrenches and chain whips, neither grab more than just the corner lip of the notches, and they're getting rounded off pretty quickly since the lock ring is aluminum....
    Seems like these lock rings are pretty common on the new breed of single speeds, why are they impossible to find?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Will a bottom bracket lockring fit those threads? Those are steel and won't get rounded off like the aluminum ones will. Then you just used a chainwhip and lockring wrench to remove it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Mickstar
    What's the correct tool to use with this lockring?

Thanks.

Steve
    These pliers are what I use.

http://bti-usa.com/public/category/T...?page=1#HZ3213
    I sell bikes and have biased opinions.

max_29
    i've had this type of lockring on a formula SS hub. to get it off/on i used a screwdriver with a wider end and a hammer. (and a chainwhip of course).

mtbr member
    I've used this....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    my rear hub has that same kind of lock ring and a nutted axle with 15mm nuts, so a Pedro's Trixie tool works great for me. the lock wrench works on the lock ring, the 15mm socket is great for axle nuts, and the 5mm allen works on a bunch of other stuff on my bike.

http://www.amazon.com/Pedros-Trixie-.../dp/B0025UKATE

Teen Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by FKMTB07
    Will a bottom bracket lockring fit those threads? Those are steel and won't get rounded off like the aluminum ones will. Then you just used a chainwhip and lockring wrench to remove it.
    yes, that is what you need. i posted a thread a month or 2 ago about this because i had the same problem. i didn't believe it was the right part, i measured a few times, it appeared ok although i wasn't convinced, but i ordered a bb locking any way:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ring+Only.aspx

and it fits great. i have 2 singlespeeds that need the same lockring so i ordered a couple. this one seems pretty thick so hopefully it lasts for quite a while.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i use one of these:

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just following up. I ordered two of those bottom bracket lock rings from jensonusa, and they indeed are a perfect fit. And unlike the previous lock ring, the tool shown two post above, works perfectly on them!