Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,923

    Where can I find a Surly 20T cog?

    Seems like they're on back order at most places including my LBS. I ordered one on Bike Bling but a week later was told the vender wasn't going to have them for a couple weeks. I'm currently using a stamped cog and hoping not to dig into the hub too much.
    Think they're on back order everyplace?
    Last edited by bank5; 05-03-2016 at 07:25 AM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,003
    QBP has an eta on them for the end of May.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,133
    I just picked one up at my LBS, it was just laying around. I guess I'm lucky.

  4. #4
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,283
    There are more options out there than just Surly for cogs.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    132
    But why would you ever wanna run anything other than a Surly cog? I prefer my drivetrain steel. Sure there's King, but why spend the extra cash?

  6. #6
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,283
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeStroganoff View Post
    But why would you ever wanna run anything other than a Surly cog? I prefer my drivetrain steel. Sure there's King, but why spend the extra cash?
    I run them as well.....but the OP can't find one....so maybe he should look into other options. Wolftooth makes a steel cog with a wide base as well.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,003
    if your LBS has access to Hawley stuff, look into Singleworks cogs. I have had one on my bike forever. slightly cheaper than a Surly cog and probably the same quality.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    I run them as well.....but the OP can't find one....so maybe he should look into other options. Wolftooth makes a steel cog with a wide base as well.
    I definitely don't mind switching (my Surly actually didn't last as long as I would have thought) but I want steel and to spend $35 or less. Seems like Wolftooth steel are > $50.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    if your LBS has access to Hawley stuff, look into Singleworks cogs. I have had one on my bike forever. slightly cheaper than a Surly cog and probably the same quality.
    They only carry Surly cogs. But is there anyplace I can get a Singleworks 20t online?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    146

  11. #11
    Wanna ride bikes?
    Reputation: *OneSpeed*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    4,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Glynn Sluder View Post
    looks good at first. $20 cog, $22 shipping. i don't know who pays those shipping charges? I like some of the products they offer but can't figure out a way to get around the shipping cost.

    I tried to buy a $50 handlebar from them last week until i saw the shipping charge was $70. i e-mailed them to see if it was a mistake, it wasn't. no sale.

    I've ordered from multiple other Euro websites and the shipping was very reasonable, even free in some instances. why can't Planet X offer a more competitive shipping charge? or rebuild their warehouse in the US? bummer
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

    Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    8,003
    I too am missing the awesomely cheap stuff from On One ever since their US distro went under. sad day for everyone involved. if they work out another US distro, I will start buying their stuff again. I rode a Pompino, some On One mtb tires, their handlebars and one of their stems over the years. good stuff, cheaper than anything out there for the quality.

    Has On-One fixed their shipping rates issue yet?

    On-One overseas shipping, update?
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,923
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    looks good at first. $20 cog, $22 shipping. i don't know who pays those shipping charges? I like some of the products they offer but can't figure out a way to get around the shipping cost.

    I tried to buy a $50 handlebar from them last week until i saw the shipping charge was $70. i e-mailed them to see if it was a mistake, it wasn't. no sale.

    I've ordered from multiple other Euro websites and the shipping was very reasonable, even free in some instances. why can't Planet X offer a more competitive shipping charge? or rebuild their warehouse in the US? bummer
    Thanks, I was just about to go through the checkout process but saw your post. Yeah, I'm not willing to pay $22 for shipping something that can fit in an envelope

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    788
    I got a Surly 19t from Jenson. Don't know what they have now, but worth checking.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    146
    Sorry, when I put them in my favorites they had a shop out of the PNW I think. I bought quite a few cogs of different tooth count for my tool box.

    Hope they come back over.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OwenM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,303
    wiggle.com | Surly 17T to 22T Cassette Cogs | Cassettes And Freewheels

    Wiggle's showing 6 20T in stock at the moment. Note that's coming from England, and they guesstimate 5-10 days for standard shipping.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    19

    Where can I find a Surly 20T cog?

    www.wheelsinmotion.us or just walk into the store in Ann Arbor...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-11-2016, 05:16 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-28-2015, 03:32 PM
  3. Help me find my stolen Surly? (SF)
    By Sigmarlin in forum Surly
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-22-2013, 07:29 AM
  4. Can't find pre-2011 Surly 1x1 frameset
    By lpt1 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 08:51 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 08:17 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.