29er and 26er
    Mar 2012

Where to buy a good SS

At the beginning of the year I convert my old Mtn Bike into a SS, and I love to ride it, and now I want to get a new SS.

I'm not really that mechanically inclined so I don't feel like I could build one from the ground up.

Can you guys recommend prebuilt SS brands? I'm willing to buy from a local bike shop or buy on-line, depending what I find. My riding style for this bike will typically be urban/commuting and it will probably never see any dirt. I have other bikes for that.

I would like to keep my spend under ~ $900.00 or less.

Thanks!

banned
    If you can go to $1100 the 2013 Specialized Carve SS is nice. You could probably get 10% pretty quick at a LBS.

Check this link out, it is half way down - Special Report: Specialized 2013 29"er Product Launch- Updated again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Redline Monocog is nice and have heard good feedback.
    MCH Co-Captain

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just bought a Civilian Luddite. It arrived yesterday mostly built. I'll get it assembled tonight. It was $800 shipped and looks like a great bike. Check out Backcountry.com

Only thing is they are out of Larges, so it'll only work for you if you need a different size.
    2004 Specialized FSR Pro
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er
    Civilian Luddite 29er SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The Kona Unit retails for $1000 but you can often find it for $900 or less, especially this time of year.

If you're patient, you can often find used Raleigh XXIX, GT Peace, Redline Monocog, or Kona Unit for a lot less than that. I'd steer clear of the Redline with the first generation Gates belt, though, that model gets pretty negative reviews.

Trail Junkie
    I agree with the Kona Unit, Great frame with a slider tension system. Easiest to adjust and you don't have to adjust your seat/saddle like you do with EBB. Its also very affordable. KONAWORLD

Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3

mtbr member
    Redline Monocog Flight or Kona Unit from an LBS is a good choice
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Are you sure you want a mountain bike if you're just going to be commuting with zero dirt time?

I have/had a Surly Steamroller and Wabi Classic for on-road/commuting use. If you want something to fit fatter tires, Surly Cross Check works. If you want discs, I've heard good things about Raleigh Furley.

Raleigh Bicycles Furley

mtbr member
    I have a mountain bike for dirt and a SS cyclocross mutant bike for all my pavement needs. riding a mountain bike on pavement works for some people, but it's like driving a tank to work when a sedan would be much more efficient, and therefore, more fun most of the time. look into the On-One Pompino for a cheap pavement/gravel SS bike. I have drop bars, a 39/17 gear with a freewheel, and a ton of lights on mine. if I need to haul a bunch of stuff, I can put a rear rack on it too.

On-One Pompino Frame 2012

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've also got a Civilian Luddite and love it, but as was stated above, do you need a mountain bike to commute? If you want a singlespeed, several places have the Civilian Hustle for $299 right now. It might be more along the lines of what you're looking for?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Monocog vs MC Flight

As far as the frame is concerned is the base Monocog worth the money, or would it be wiser to get the flight. I talked to a LBS and there was a big difference in frame construction between the two. Are older MCs different. I would most like be shopping used anyways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I do commuting on a 29er SS mostly so that I maintain similar geometry/feel to my trail riding. You might be interested in getting a cheap 29er (gravity G29, or Nashbar 29er). I have the Gravity ($350 shipped) and it is a pretty good bike. Is it the best bike in the world? No, but its $350 and works perfect for commuting. I do trail riding with it as well and it handles just fine. If you're interested in it, search for Gravity G29 and there are several threads here on MTBR about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett_ View Post
    As far as the frame is concerned is the base Monocog worth the money, or would it be wiser to get the flight. I talked to a LBS and there was a big difference in frame construction between the two. Are older MCs different. I would most like be shopping used anyways.
    MC and MCF's geo has been the same for years. At least since 2007. Main difference between the two are stock components--discs on MCF and v-brakes on MC (but MC is disc ready), lighter frame (MCF is butted and MC is straight gauge), sliding dropouts on the MCF vs. track ends on the MC, and the geometry is different.

Call me crazy, but after owning 2 MCF's and 3 MC's, I really prefer the MC's more. I like the geo/fit better, the extra pound of frame material doesn't bother me, and I actually liked the v-brakes just fine. I also like the more simple look with the track ends on the MC. MCF's were still fine bikes, though.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    For urban commuting I'd build a Surly Crosscheck or an All-City Spacehorse, both of them have forward facing dropouts that allow easy chain tensioning, and both bikes have rack and fender eyelets, which can be real helpfull when commuting. I commute on an All-City big block and I'm getting tired of lugging a heavy messenger bag and the lack of protection from the clip on fenders. Having racks/panniers and full fenders is a great thing when commuting. I know you said you're not very mechanically inclined but any LBS should be able to assist you with the build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    MC and MCF's geo has been the same for years. At least since 2007. Main difference between the two are stock components--discs on MCF and v-brakes on MC (but MC is disc ready), lighter frame (MCF is butted and MC is straight gauge), sliding dropouts on the MCF vs. track ends on the MC, and the geometry is different.
    Good info. I just looked at the 2013 MC, comes with disk brakes and an MSRP of $650.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    What do you guys think of the Spot Rocker SS? Clymb had them on sale compete for 2k. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I went through this agony for the last week wavering between a used Monocog Flight and used Kona Unit .... but in the end settled for a new 2013 Monocog standard. New model had reasonable disk brakes. I just had a hard time buying used since I don't know what abuse they took even from just looking at them. Plus I will know exactly how the bike was maintained. Needing at least a 21" also limited my possible choices. No one had any in stock in Houston so drove to Austin to pick up the only one I could find within 300 miles. Granted the components/fame are not as good as the Flight or Unit but they work fine and I can upgrade as/if they start to wear/fail. Love the bike ... and not looking back.

mtbr member
    I bought a used Surly Karate Monkey ($700 and came with extra unused tires and a spare stock salsa wheelset) and ended up putting another $300 that was needed and another $500 that was not needed) to get it running smooth again along with countless hours spent in my basement tearing it down and rebuilding/cleaning from years of nasty buildup of dirt and old grease. I can say today that I am very happy with it but may have been better off buying new frame and building from the ground up how I wanted it.

So I think you made the right choice getting a new bike. I hear good things about those monocogs and almost got the Flight over the Monkey.
    Surly Karate Monkey, SNGLSPD
    Surly Puglsey