mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Where to buy cogs and chainrings?

Hi all, I have a 2007 Redline Flight 29er that is currently all stock. I want to do a dinglespeed conversion on it, but I'm not sure where to buy cogs and chainrings. I've called my LBS, they have limited selection and cogs that are $40 which seems WAY too high. Nashbar and Performance don't seem to list them on their web sites either. I just looked on Jenson's web site and they seem to have quite the selection of cogs and chainrings. Some are cheap, some are not. Is there that big of a difference between a $3 cog and a $30 cog?

What bolt kit would I need for a double chainring conversion? Do I just get a triple ring bolt kit and trim the bolts down or do they make a specific one for a double?

Also, can you guys tell me the specifics of what I need for my bike? Do I need threaded cogs or the other style? What is the BCD of the Redline cranks?

Finally, what tools should I need for the conversion? I'm thinking a chain whip, cassette wrench (what style?), and basic hand tools (have that way covered).
    Tampa Florida

07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3
    07 Redline Monocog Flight 29er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    any help please?
    Tampa Florida

07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3
    07 Redline Monocog Flight 29er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)

offroader
    Dec 2008
    singleandfixed.com

one chain loop
    google.com
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Axles of Evil
    Dave,
    BCD of your crankset should be 104mm. I'm not sure if you can run two rings on your stock crank. Someone could chime in here...Give it a shot. You won't need to grind down the chainring bolts, just use standard double ones. Also, your rear hub, if I remember correctly, is a cassette style. So you'll need splined cogs not thread on. Run a search on the forums for dingle setups. I'm sure you'll find some useful info.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    I've bought the cheap cogs from Jenson just to see what I could turn. I'm new to SS, so you might want to start there if you have a hard time figuring out what Teeth to buy. Just get a variety of them.

Once you figure that out, then go for the light and bling - my 2.5cents