Cif
    mtbr member

Wheelsets: multi gear or ss specific

What would be the advantage of a singlespeed specific wheelset?

Seems that multi gear wheels are a lot cheaper then ss specific?
    And saving some money means I can buy other stuff

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Southern Afghanistan

Supervisor

Fred and Barney know how to kill HOOHAs

Cif
    mtbr member

Re: Wheelsets: multi gear or ss specific

2 bad I need them for my 29er and I live in europe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have had both. The SS wheel looks a little cleaner due to fewer cassette body spacers and I believe, at least in theory, is a little stronger due to equal length spokes.

If you can save some money by using a geared wheel, go for it!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    A SS wheel set - specifically the rear - will be stronger, not because of equal spoke lengths - that isn't necessarily the case anyhow, the spoke length could be different - but because there's less dish on the rear. You don't have to leave room for a full cassette of gears back there on the right side, just the one cog. So the the spokes for that side can be further out on the hub, resulting in a stiffer rear wheel. How much difference does it make? I have it on good authority that one bike company spent 6 months, and millions of dollars trying to figure out how to get an additional 2 mm out on their rear wheel design to stiffen it up. It's worth taking advantage of on a SS, because it won't cost that much.

Cif
    mtbr member

Reason Im asking is because I want to get my bike more comfy (posted other thread for that) and found out that tubeless would be the way to go.

Since my stock SS wheelset is seriously heavy, it might me worth upgrading.
    That way it would be lighter and, with tubeless, more comfy.

As for companies spending a lit of money in research, I dont think that I will really notice it in a wheelset of my budget (somewhere around $500).

The hub needs to be as silent as possible, I hate that rattling sound.
    And if I would go for a multigear setup, I am able to switch to 1x10 in the future.

Dont want it now, but maybe somewhere in the future.

Pros:
    A lot more multigear wheels for sale.
    Able to switch to 1x10 in future if I want to.

Cons:
    Damn a SS wheel looks good

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I'm not implying you need to find every last mm you can. What I'm telling you is, every mm makes it stronger. My wheels cost me exactly $500, SS rear hub and all. The research money was spent on bikes intended for use with 10 or 11 speed cassettes.

Go for the upgrade on the wheel set. My upgrade saved me two pounds over my stock wheels. It's like riding a whole different bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Some hubs don't hold up to SS. I had a wheel built on an XT hub a few years ago and had nothing but problems with the freehub. It would ramdomly lock up and become fixed. Replaced it with no change. I started just skidding on pavement to break it loose and get back to trail riding. Then it started randomly spitting out the bearings....and got thrown in the trash. The hub was rebuilt be the shop several times because they said I must have done something wrong to it- no warranty because I was running it SS.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    I ride both. XT hubs with spacers have never given me any problems, but my Phil Wood Kiss-OFF definitely wins in the bling department, with a White Industries freewheel it's also as solid as it gets. I like the multi-speed cassette for ease of chain-line adjustment, cog switchability, and flexibility to run gears when I feel the 1x itch. If I weren't on any kind of (girlfriend-enforced) budget I would go SS cassette hub though KC or Hope Trials. I think SS cassette hubs have the best of both worlds.

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by stubecontinued View Post
    White Industries freewheel . . .
    This. Do you want your ratcheting mechanism in your hub, or in a White Industries freewheel?

From what I've found, the higher quality SS hubs are usually less expensive than the cassette hubs, since they have less parts, and can be built up without dish.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    A SS wheel set - specifically the rear - will be stronger, not because of equal spoke lengths - that isn't necessarily the case anyhow, the spoke length could be different - but because there's less dish on the rear. You don't have to leave room for a full cassette of gears back there on the right side, just the one cog. So the the spokes for that side can be further out on the hub, resulting in a stiffer rear wheel. How much difference does it make? I have it on good authority that one bike company spent 6 months, and millions of dollars trying to figure out how to get an additional 2 mm out on their rear wheel design to stiffen it up. It's worth taking advantage of on a SS, because it won't cost that much.
    Yep...I love SS specific rear wheel, they look sooo much better too.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    I've seen some people squeezing in 4-5 gears on SS hubs. I got SS hub because of the badassness of it.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

Cif
    mtbr member

But there aren't a lot of 29er SS sets available in the Netherlands (or europe as long as shipping isnt to bad).

Looks like a custom set then, but thats kind of pricy.
    Found a lot of good reviews about the easton ea70 ss, but cant find a store that sells them

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Good guy and he's on this forum too........ Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels

or

Custom Handbuilt Wheels - Wheelbuilder.com
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Cif
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    Already found those. Wheelbuilder charges $200 for shipping, and I dont think lace mine will be a lot cheaper. And when ordering in US customs wants a certain amount of tax

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cif View Post
    What would be the advantage of a singlespeed specific wheelset?

Seems that multi gear wheels are a lot cheaper then ss specific?
    And saving some money means I can buy other stuff
    Late to party. Couple thoughts from personal experience:

Didn't see it mentioned but looks like have a vert dropout geared frame and are on the right track as far as getting a geared wheel so you can be able to run them if you decide. But if you are planning to run a SS specific hub wheel and a tensioner of some sorts you might have some spoke clearance issues as I did. Depends on your crankset chainline and tensioner style of course.

I ended up switching back to my geared wheel on mine to get the spokes more inward and away from the inside roller of tensioner on the drive side. Plus was easier to adjust rr cog for chain line.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Cif
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Late to party. Couple thoughts from personal experience:

Didn't see it mentioned but looks like have a vert dropout geared frame and are on the right track as far as getting a geared wheel so you can be able to run them if you decide. But if you are planning to run a SS specific hub wheel and a tensioner of some sorts you might have some spoke clearance issues as I did. Depends on your crankset chainline and tensioner style of course.

I ended up switching back to my geared wheel on mine to get the spokes more inward and away from the inside roller of tensioner on the drive side. Plus was easier to adjust rr cog for chain line.
    I have a SS frame. Vertical dropouts with horizontal slides.

My wheelset now is SS specific but is like taking along a lump of iron

NedwannaB
    I have a SS frame. Vertical dropouts with horizontal slides.

My wheelset now is SS specific but is like taking along a lump of iron

Right. Wait! Whaaaaaa?? So a Paragon slider type dropout. Got it.

I'm trying to figure out if I want to try an ecc type bottom bracket for mine and run my Paul SS hub/Stan's Arch wheel w/out external rr tensioner.

Cif
    mtbr member

Wheels drops out vertically and chain can be adjusted horizontally

Wheelsets: multi gear or ss specific-uploadfromtaptalk1368127501525.jpg

NedwannaB
    Zactly. Paragon "type" sliding dropouts. Those are great.

Cycle Psycho
    But there aren't a lot of 29er SS sets available in the Netherlands (or europe as long as shipping isnt to bad).

Looks like a custom set then, but thats kind of pricy.
    Found a lot of good reviews about the easton ea70 ss, but cant find a store that sells them

After building my first wheelset and realizing how easy it was, I regret ever paying anyone else to do it. I'm just saying . . .

mtbr member
    I'm in the market and just ordered from Merlin Cycles. They will build a rear for $250. I'm getting the SS specific Hope rear mainly because of the steel cassette body and it's still wide enough for 6 gears if I ever decide to give up on the SS. After a bunch of research I decided that being a clyde i wanted a rear wheel with as little dishing as possible w/o going to a mini cassette body. Mainly because my current easton rear hub only has room for one cog and the thread-on nut. Very difficult to chain line perfect as well as keep the damn threaded on nut from loosening.

Anyways I'd check out Wiggle, Merlin, and Chain Reaction. They all offer pretty affordable custom or built rear wheel that are cheap enough that i ordered one an dhad it shipped to the US.