is this thing on?

wheel pulling to the brake side

I've running a conventional 135mm, QR hub/axle on a frame with track drops. a tug nut on the drive side. I'm also running 180mm disk rotors and I have replaced the quick release with an Allen key skewer.

it seems that the wheel pulls towards the brake side with in the frame under rough conditions no matter how hard I tighten it up.

I cant see how a tug nut on the non drive side would help but that all I can think of? any advice?

mtbr member
    I was running the same set up on my 1x1 and it never seemed to move for some reason....I used these

Ovaries on the Outside
    I had a set of skewers with the allen key and I didn't think they clamped down very well. Try your QR on some ride and see how it goes. If you have two chain tugs, then might as well use them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It's the non-drive side of the hub moving backwards due to a force developed to counter act the force of your brake clamping the rotor. So a tug won't work because the axle is moving back not forward.

Try an XT skewer or you may need to go bolt-on hub.

BTW - there is a slow movement by some frame makers to put the disc brake mount on the chainstay rather than the seatstay which helps to alleviate your problem.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut
    It's the non-drive side of the hub moving backwards due to a force developed to counter act the force of your brake clamping the rotor. So a tug won't work because the axle is moving back not forward.

Try an XT skewer or you may need to go bolt-on hub.

BTW - there is a slow movement by some frame makers to put the disc brake mount on the chainstay rather than the seatstay which helps to alleviate your problem.
    I didn't read carefully. Non drive side tug won't help. I've never had this problem personally, but I'd get a better skewer. I never used an XT because I've always preferred not spending cash money skrilla. Try sanding the clamp area- sometimes the paint will encourage slipping.

meatier showers
    You might try making a fender washer looking gizmo out of that kinda sandpaper that looks like the screen in a screen door. Friction on both sides. Put that screen door friction washer between the frame and the skewer.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

is this thing on?
    good advice all. thanks.

I was thinking the paint might have some thing to do with it, as well as the cheap allen key skewer. I like the screen washed for added friction. might work in a pinch if i dont have an XT skewer in the shed. I was running a shimano QR for a while (deore maybe), but I stripped the nut on a ride. thats when i went with the allen key set up.

chears.

mtbr member
    This used to happen on the old sliding dropouts on On-Ones. The cure was to reverse the lhs tugnut so it was pulling forward.

Maybe you could rig up some means of doing that with your frame.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland