Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MellowCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    857

    Wheel building question...

    Question:

    I have a pair of 317's with Deore disc hubs. Rims are in great shape and I need wheels for my new bike build. Considering having the LBS rebuild the wheels with SS disc hubs and saving some money. Can you see any issue to this?

    Also:

    What hubs? Thinking either Spot or Paul. I'd do king but I hate the buzzing sound.

    Any opinions?

    Thanks,

    MC

  2. #2
    I am the owl
    Reputation: riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    Question:

    I have a pair of 317's with Deore disc hubs. Rims are in great shape and I need wheels for my new bike build. Considering having the LBS rebuild the wheels with SS disc hubs and saving some money. Can you see any issue to this?

    Also:

    What hubs? Thinking either Spot or Paul. I'd do king but I hate the buzzing sound.

    Any opinions?

    Thanks,

    MC
    Most people frown on re-using rims for a new build, especially shops. I'd sell the wheels and build new from scratch.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  3. #3
    blame me for missed rides
    Reputation: weather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    792
    no problem with re-using the rims. but get new spokes for sure.

    no opinion on hubs.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MellowCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    857

    I know..

    the shops frown on reusing rims, but why? Most likely their own profit, not any real problems. I guess I'm looking for something tangeble, if thats possible.

    Looked at reselling the wheels, used worth is low, but cost savings to reuse them is high.

    I guess being a salesman I'm always doubtful of a "just because" type of response from someone making a profit off me. I would like to besure this is a real issue, otherwise I'm reusing them!

    Thanks,

    MC


    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Most people frown on re-using rims for a new build, especially shops. I'd sell the wheels and build new from scratch.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MellowCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    857

    thanks

    I figured replacing spoke/nips was mandatory.

    Thanks,

    MC


    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    no problem with re-using the rims. but get new spokes for sure.

    no opinion on hubs.

  6. #6
    I am the owl
    Reputation: riderx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    the shops frown on reusing rims, but why? Most likely their own profit, not any real problems. I guess I'm looking for something tangeble, if thats possible.
    Here's my take: they can't guarantee the quality of the build. Rims bend, get tweaked, can become egg shaped. If the shop isn't starting with a new rim, then the build may not be great or it may take longer than normal to get a satisfactory build. You are paying money for a good build and if it's less than perfect the shop will probably hear about it - a hassle they would like to avoid. If it takes longer than normal to coax the wheel into submission they lose money on labor.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

  7. #7
    One gear to rule them all
    Reputation: 32seventeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    459

    The reason

    When I worked in a shop I always frowned on reusing rims, because I never knew how much abuse the rims had been put through. If I am to stand behind a wheelset I build, I want to be sure all of the componets are sound. The customer always says the rims are fine!?!, even when they look like eggs.
    Now my personal wheels, that's a different story. If the rims are not too old and I know they are in good shape, I rebuild them. I have never had an issue with using any of my used rims. If they are old or questionable shape, I trash them.



    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    the shops frown on reusing rims, but why? Most likely their own profit, not any real problems. I guess I'm looking for something tangeble, if thats possible.

    Looked at reselling the wheels, used worth is low, but cost savings to reuse them is high.

    I guess being a salesman I'm always doubtful of a "just because" type of response from someone making a profit off me. I would like to besure this is a real issue, otherwise I'm reusing them!

    Thanks,

    MC
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

  8. #8
    The Top Cap Guy
    Reputation: Fast Freddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    948
    I'd re-use the rims... and the biggest reason I can see why a shop may not want to do it is beacuse if you have a rim that is out of whack... it is definitely going to take them longer to build it up straight and true keeping the correct tension, than a new straight rim. I've relaced my own wheels and sometimes it's noticeable when you reuse a rim... and then again sometimes it works like new. Just depends on what kind of day your having.

    Between the hubs - I like the Paul hubs better myself, but seeing how your going to have a Spot - Spot hubs may also be cool... I think that is a toss up.

    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

  9. #9
    One gear to rule them all
    Reputation: 32seventeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    459
    It is not the time the shop is worried about. If the rim is bent or out of round, you will need to put uneven spoke tention on the wheel to compensate for the bend. That makes the wheel weak. Much more likely to fail. That is not what the shop wants to send out the door. I would never reuse a rim that is not round and true with out the spokes. That goes for my wheels, or for a customers.



    [ If the shop isn't starting with a new rim, then the build may not be great or it may take longer than normal to get a satisfactory build. You are paying money for a good build and if it's less than perfect the shop will probably hear about it - a hassle they would like to avoid. If it takes longer than normal to coax the wheel into submission they lose money on labor.[/QUOTE]
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MellowCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    857

    The rims in question..

    have never been trued in their 1 year, minimal use existance!

    I'll probably just buy new rims, but I hate wasting money on something like this when the rims I have are in great shape.

    Thanks,

    MC

    Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    It is not the time the shop is worried about. If the rim is bent or out of round, you will need to put uneven spoke tention on the wheel to compensate for the bend. That makes the wheel weak. Much more likely to fail. That is not what the shop wants to send out the door. I would never reuse a rim that is not round and true with out the spokes. That goes for my wheels, or for a customers.



    [ If the shop isn't starting with a new rim, then the build may not be great or it may take longer than normal to get a satisfactory build. You are paying money for a good build and if it's less than perfect the shop will probably hear about it - a hassle they would like to avoid. If it takes longer than normal to coax the wheel into submission they lose money on labor.
    [/QUOTE]

  11. #11
    Lazy People Suck
    Reputation: Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    Question:

    I have a pair of 317's with Deore disc hubs. Rims are in great shape and I need wheels for my new bike build. Considering having the LBS rebuild the wheels with SS disc hubs and saving some money. Can you see any issue to this?

    Also:

    What hubs? Thinking either Spot or Paul. I'd do king but I hate the buzzing sound.

    Any opinions?

    Thanks,

    MC
    Mellowcat,

    Why do you need new wheels for your new build? Why not just use the existing wheels? I have always used standard freehub wheels with spacers with no problems on all of my singlespeeds. If the issue is horizontal dropouts, you can put a nutted axle on the Deore hubs for minimal cash outlay. Just a thought. I have never been a big fan of freewheels.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MellowCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    857

    Fett,

    I guess I could use my Deore hubs...but I have numerous freewheels already, including a really nice ENO one!

    I did have some trouble running a spaced out cassette body hub. The gear seemed to dig into the cassette body after awhile and cause damage. I guess a wider based cog would solve this.

    I cover Indiana now for my Job! Hopefully I can start making some rides with your crew. Is 96th street worth the time?

    MC



    Quote Originally Posted by Fett
    Mellowcat,

    Why do you need new wheels for your new build? Why not just use the existing wheels? I have always used standard freehub wheels with spacers with no problems on all of my singlespeeds. If the issue is horizontal dropouts, you can put a nutted axle on the Deore hubs for minimal cash outlay. Just a thought. I have never been a big fan of freewheels.

  13. #13
    The Top Cap Guy
    Reputation: Fast Freddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    948
    Tell you what MC - you buy the hubs and spokes and I'll swap them over for you.... for FREE! Can't beat that! ANd don;t worry I've got numerous wheel buils under my belt in the 10 years I've been doing them. So it's no issue. Wecked out will tell you how good - I had to "re-do" a new set of King wheels he bought 14 months ago from Universal Cycles - before he could even ride them... I don't think they know what even tension is....

    Give me a week to complete them and I'll have you hooked up (I know it doesn't take a week - but the wife gets a little excited when I disappear in the basement all the time working on my bike stuff....

    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MellowCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    857

    too late...

    gave the order to Meantodd this afternoon!

    Paul Disc hubs(black) 14/15 black spokes, black nips and black 717's.

    Thanks for the offer though!

    Spot should be coming together in the next 2-3 weeks.


    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Freddy
    Tell you what MC - you buy the hubs and spokes and I'll swap them over for you.... for FREE! Can't beat that! ANd don;t worry I've got numerous wheel buils under my belt in the 10 years I've been doing them. So it's no issue. Wecked out will tell you how good - I had to "re-do" a new set of King wheels he bought 14 months ago from Universal Cycles - before he could even ride them... I don't think they know what even tension is....

    Give me a week to complete them and I'll have you hooked up (I know it doesn't take a week - but the wife gets a little excited when I disappear in the basement all the time working on my bike stuff....

    FF

  15. #15
    Lazy People Suck
    Reputation: Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    I guess I could use my Deore hubs...but I have numerous freewheels already, including a really nice ENO one!

    I did have some trouble running a spaced out cassette body hub. The gear seemed to dig into the cassette body after awhile and cause damage. I guess a wider based cog would solve this.

    I cover Indiana now for my Job! Hopefully I can start making some rides with your crew. Is 96th street worth the time?

    MC
    I have not had a problem with steel freehub bodies, only Al ones, but they are cehap to replace.

    Great to hear you will be in Indiana more. 96th Street is ok to ride. It is a fun place, but not very challenging. When I race there, I run a 12/27 cassette and never leave the big ring. I take my 7 and 10 yr olds there to ride all of the time and it is just technically challenging enough for my 7 yr old (keeping in mind he is both a BMXer and a hockey player, so he is a tough and fit little sh#t)

    Heading down to Brown County gives you several better alternatives, but 96th is the best place right in Indy. Nothing in the way of hills, but it is fast.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

Similar Threads

  1. building my first wheel need some tips, advice etc...
    By biker3 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 07:05 AM
  2. Rear wheel "dish" question
    By Spidermonkey in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 10:07 AM
  3. Question about rear disc wheel strength
    By islander in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 01:17 PM
  4. Disc wheel build : lacing question
    By Nick. in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-03-2004, 06:03 PM
  5. Introduction and a wheel question
    By andrewthorne in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 04:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •