mtbr member

wheel build advice...interesting commute this morning

I was riding the KM in to work this morning fixed gear. High tire pressure, high fixed gear, cool morning air....I was cruising. About 4 miles from home I hear a loud 'gun shot' right behind me. I jump because it was so close and it hurt my ears. Next thing I know my back tire has no air in it. Check out what I found when I took a closer look.

The rim is less than a year old, ridden fixed w/out a rear brake quite a bit. I've never had a rim do this, guess there's a first for everything.

So now I need to build a new rear wheel and I don't want to build up an Open Pro again...I'd like something a little more stout. I've got a new old stock Araya 700CPX-645 hoop laying around that I might build up for the time being to get me by.

According to spocalc.xls, I took a 282.3 mm spoke with my Phil/Mavic setup, and I'd take a 284.9 mm spoke length with the Phil/Araya setup....is that close enough to use the same spokes I currently have or would I need new spokes for the Araya setup?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Don't re-use spokes. After a year of riding, plus the added stress of detenstioning, delacing, relacing, and retensioning, they'll likely start to break pretty quickly. Go to the bike shop and get some new spoke, in the correct length, and some new nipples.

FWIW, your experience with the Open Pro is pretty atypical. If you want more strength, Mavic MA-3s are nice, along with many others.

--Shannon

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I like the salsa 700c/29er rims a lot. I've been using them for a little over a year. They have been used for XC, fixed, and loaded touring and took it all in stride.

Don't use the same spokes. New ones are cheep. The size diff. alone is big enough to warrant new spokes.

mtbr member
    what the hell? your sidewall blew out?

mtbr member

Thanks...1 more question

I've got an MA3 on front and that seems to be doing well. I just ordered a Salsa Delgado Cross rim to replace this one.

I'm no wheel building expert (my only wheel build was radial), so I'll show my stupidity and ask...how difficult would it be to add an additional cross to my next build? I think that is a 2 cross what I have on the build now...would a 3 cross be stronger and a good idea for the larger wheel size?

giddy up!

your current build.....

....appears to be three cross, but I can't tell for sure...anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    I've got an MA3 on front and that seems to be doing well. I just ordered a Salsa Delgado Cross rim to replace this one.

I'm no wheel building expert (my only wheel build was radial), so I'll show my stupidity and ask...how difficult would it be to add an additional cross to my next build? I think that is a 2 cross what I have on the build now...would a 3 cross be stronger and a good idea for the larger wheel size?
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    i thought the same

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Yes, it's a 3 cross.

Don't reuse the spokes, they won't be the right size.

I've had the same thing happen to rims, braking surface gets worn down from regular use and grit, sidewall blows out.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Your broken wheel is 3-cross.

4-cross generally does not build a stronger wheel.

Use new spokes.

Cheers,

Tom

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I am a wheel building idiot...one day though....

Is 4 cross unheard of or stupid?

giddy up!

If I remember correctly...

....I think you can only do 4 cross on a 36 spoke or higher...but I could be wrong on that:-)

That is pretty wild, I have to say that have never seen a rim do that before.....nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    Thanks guys. I am a wheel building idiot...one day though....

Is 4 cross unheard of or stupid?
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Back in the good old days I saw quite a few Mavics blow the side walls out, but that was mainly with well worn rims. I would say that you probalbly had a defective rim. A four cross wheel would generally be a little stronger but mainly because it would be a little flexxier due to the spokes being longer and distort more prior to bending. I almost exclusively build 2 cross fronts and 3/2 cross rears with the drive side 3 cross. This cross pattern has always worked well for the 200 or so wheels that I have built. I have also raced on plenty of radial or 1x wheels without incident. And my best peice of advice is to use the right size spokes and spokeprep them. Without the spokeprep you will be much more likely to have problems with the wheels losing tension.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    ....I think you can only do 4 cross on a 36 spoke or higher...but I could be wrong on that:-)
    Wheel strength is highest when the spokes are tangential to the hub flange. In other words, the closer the angle of the spoke to the hub radius is to 90 degrees, the better. For 32 hole wheels, cross-3 the closest to tangential spoking. For 36, it's cross-4.

--Shannon