Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

What's the trashiest bike you've made into SS?

My mom gave a ~92 Ross 18 speed to my GF about 2 years ago and it totally sucks balls. It is SOOO heavy and just rides like garbage. I really want to strip it and turn it into a ss. (I'm still expecting it to ride like hot garbage, but it might be more fun!) I told the GF that she can ride my Cannondale F400 since I just about only ride my Nashbar 9er anymore.

So, I want to see some trashy crappy SS's.

808+909 = Party Good Time
    pics of the 92 Ross?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No pics. It's at the GF's place and she is at VA beach on an internship. I can get pics in bout 2 weeks. It's a men's bike steel frame that's totally old school. Though it is in great condition.

Sounds awesome from the description. I was running a 1984 bike as my roadie and was sweet pertootee.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    threads like this suck w/o pics!!!
    you are bad at eating sandwiches!

human dehumidifier
    I beat the garbage truck to this one, my neighbor had pushed it to the curb on trash day

When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    trashy indeed, what is it
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I know, but I love it. The bars look a mile wide. Is that the original crank? Looks pretty long.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Update

Ok so I stopped at my GF's place and picked the bike up. Here's some pics of how it was and after I stripped it. This thing was a true pig. She added the old woman seat...that's gotta go. Notice the way the rear hub slides in. I never did notice that before but will be nice for a ss.

I'll probably throw some vbrakes on it if I can and replace the front crank. If anybody has an old crank laying around I need one and will pay for it. I'm still debating on what gear ratio to run. It's pretty hilly around here. Suggestions? The handlebars are also way too thin. Would like to get a similar pair to the ones pictured above.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by ctaggart
    Ok so I stopped at my GF's place and picked the bike up. Here's some pics of how it was and after I stripped it. This thing was a true pig. She added the old woman seat...that's gotta go. Notice the way the rear hub slides in. I never did notice that before but will be nice for a ss.

I'll probably throw some vbrakes on it if I can and replace the front crank. If anybody has an old crank laying around I need one and will pay for it. I'm still debating on what gear ratio to run. It's pretty hilly around here. Suggestions? The handlebars are also way too thin. Would like to get a similar pair to the ones pictured above.

hes running a trials setup

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i got one. roadmaster mt climber. free gift before everything was done to it. crankset, bb, freewheel, tires, grips, paint, seat

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You only ride down hills? Dang man!

I took the nuts off of the bb bolts so ixpected the crank arms to come right off. Not so. There a trick to this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I took the nuts off of the bb bolts so ixpected the crank arms to come right off. Not so. There a trick to this?

Yeah, you need to get a crank puller:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103

See this for more info:

Trick to removing square taper crank without puller?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by island_crab
    i got one. roadmaster mt climber. free gift before everything was done to it. crankset, bb, freewheel, tires, grips, paint, seat

that is actually quite nice

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ctaggart - if that comment was for me. nope i live in tamp florida. no hills here. i had a smaller front chainring on there at first but i met up with some fixie kids. so i had to show them that big tires can go fast too.

thank you nuck chorris.

Chronic 1st-timer

POS to the max.
    Although it did hang tough on some road rides, as well as 2 dirt pedals before it got the boot.
    Les grimpées, je m'en fou!

human dehumidifier
    If the following are for me ...
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    trashy indeed, what is it
    Bianchi Nyala, late 80s, not suspension adjusted, comfy long wheelbase, not nearly enough tire clearance, lugged steel.

I know, but I love it. The bars look a mile wide. Is that the original crank? Looks pretty long.
    Yes original cranks, I drilled out the chainring rivets, 175mm arms. The bar is a Misfit Fu-bars.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

jl
    climb
    It is SOOO heavy and just rides like garbage.
    This is now one of my favorite bikes.It was also heavy--now with new wheels and no gears and smooth riding tires... Nice. The Bristol Beer Cruiser

Last edited by jl; 08-03-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    Ride On!

mtbr member

This is the trashiest

This is the trashiest bike I ever converted to SS.
    The only parts that I was able to use from origanal bike was the frame and fork. Found this bike in the woods. And took her home.
    Currently is out getting powder coated, cant wait till it is done.
    Plus I have a bunch of newer parts to put on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

bikexor
    This guy freed a shitty GT and turned it into SS for under $2.

my $1.07 SS build
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So this is the first bike I've built. I'm a little overwhelmed with what parts use as replacements. I'm replacing the crankset, handlebars and maybe the rear wheel. I really don't want to spend much. The purpose of this bike is to get my GF to class then back home. I think I'll use a shimano alivio crank. Do I need to replace the BB?

I would like some wide bars too. Suggestions?

Can I find a rear wheel on the super cheap?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by derockus
    This guy freed a shitty GT and turned it into SS for under $2.

my $1.07 SS build
    I love it when you talk all technical

one chain loop

1992 Scott Peak

I got the whole bike for $10, yeah, I am that impulsive. Threw half of the parts on the garbage and went through my bin to make it look and ride decent. After the picture was taken, I stripped everything after realizing how crappy the frame to begin with to convert. Pay me the shipping and the frame is yours. I can deliver it right to your doorstep for free if you are a local.

P.S. I call a frame crappy when I can't fit a 2.5 tires on it. Just because.

everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

blame me for missed rides
    where's terminaut and his huffy?

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    I beat the garbage truck to this one, my neighbor had pushed it to the curb on trash day

That things remarkably cool looking with those bars.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast