Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

What's the point of SS Vs. Geared???

I keep reading about riders of SS bikes going to the 'darkside' (geared bikes), or ss people putting down geared bikes. What's the point??? It seems like the old DH Vs. XC. We all like to ride on dirt. Don't matter if it is 1 gear, 9 gears or 27 gears. It's all about riding bikes where there ain't any cars and plenty of clean air, trees and singletrack! Roadies.... now there is the question. Why Road? Btw, I just finished an epic ride today, I was on my SS, two on XC f/s and one on a dual-crowned Bullit. There was no jealousy or rivalery (though I think the xc guys wished they were on my SS ) Why do we have to feel better than geared bikes? It doesn't make much sense.

mtbr member

Not so practical reason...

Why do you singlespeed?* Do you singlespeed because you think it's trendy, cool, fun, a way to pick up chicks, a way to be anti-establishment?* HELL NO!!!* You singlespeed because you realize that gears are the SYSTEMS way of oppressing the people.* Really, how much different is a 27 speed bike from an automobile?*** Shimano tells us we need 21, 24 and 27 speeds to survive, to stick with the pack. Pretty soon they will be telling us we need a steel cage and an engine. Bull.* One speed is all you need.

We are crusaders against the genetic mutation bred into society called "gearbacteria" and excess material wealth. Think about it.* Is a single speed really slower than a geared bike, or is that belief so engrained in our heads that we believe it?* I was riding my 1x1 up a steep hill the other day, thinking "Boy I wish I had a gear on this steep section."* Then I realized this was society, advertising, corporate propaganda and years of oppression making me think this way.* You don't need gears any more than you need a nice car or a fancy haircut. In fact, one speed is faster.* Sure it's harder, but since when were we afraid of hard work?* Gears are the American Society at its finest - the easy, lazy-ass-boy way out.

Everytime you suffer up a hill on your 1x1 remember that suffering is years of genetic mutation being eliminated from your blood.* You are changing the world.* NOW HERE IS THE REAL CLINCHER.* I say 1x1's are superior to geared bikes in every way shape and form.* You may scoff, but that is simply years of oppression telling you to think that way.* YES SIR!

This is just the beginning.* Singlespeeds will soon be the tool of choice, the tool from oppression and corporate greed.* It's a tough battle, but must be fought.*
    Last edited by Pluto Pilot; 04-18-2004 at 11:19 PM.

mtbr member

Slightly more practical reason...

In a recent Washington Post article, it was cited that the amount of people riding mountain bikes off road has dropped in the past three years about 40%...from 14 million to about 10 million. The bike industry has recorded flat sales in the 26" mountain bike market for some time now. My own personal perceptions are that I don't see more people on the trail now than I did five years ago...it seems like our sport has stagnated and possibly even dropped in popularity.

I have a theory on this that I'd like to divulge. I believe the industry has simply made our sport too complex. Yes we have incredible single, double, triple and quadrupal linkage suspension systems. We have 27 gears to choose from, multiple frame designs and materials. In some ways, technology has made our sport easier than ever...in others, technology has made our sport more inaccessible than ever.

Whenever I think of a full squish bike I think complexity, and I've been riding for twelve years. Imagine what it's like to someone just getting started? Complexity isn't appealing to me...I've got enough of that in life. Generally I've found sports that require excess technology to be less appealing than those with a more simple approach.

I believe the main problem with our sport is we have too much damned technology to the point that it scares people from participating. If you go to a bike shop and want to get a solid ride for off road use you have to spend probably $750. Anything less than that and you'll be getting a bike that weighs a ton, or has shoddy components.

Now imagine this scenario? What if the industry pushed singlespeed simple mountain bikes to folks? With a singlespeed you could surely get a bike for under $400 that weighed sub-23 pounds and didn't break. No tuning of the gears...just get out and ride. Like when we were kids.

It's a well known fact that sex and style sell. To me, a sleek singlespeed is a hell of a lot more sexy and edgy than some porked out geared full squish bike.

I look at other semi-fringe sports that are succesful and I see a theme...simplicity in equipment and tons of soul. Surfing, skateboarding and snowboarding are great examples. You can pick up a surf board for $400 or so. Once you've got that, there are a few other accessories to purchase, but all in all, you're set to take on the ocean.

We need to make our sport simple. Get an awesome 1x1 for the amount of cash you'd earn dishwashing for a week. Ride it till it drops, with the only maintenance being a few drops of oil on the chain every now and then. There is so much soul in riding down a singletrack. The problem is, with complex bikes and tons of moving parts on squish bikes, it's hard to tap into this soul. And in the end, soul is what will get folks hooked on riding bikes on trails.

Some may argue singlespeeding is too hard...it'll turn people away. Hogwash I say. Surfing is hard as hell but it seems to me to be a growing sport that has ingrained itself into american culture. I suspect most people like a little challenge...hell, it makes the feel alive and sure beats staring at a computer all day. They'll embrace singlespeeding as a challenging but simple way to beat the stuffing out of their bodies, and commune with mother earth and their soul. In turn, more people will ride and world will be a better place because of it.

mtbr member
    Wow-
    Pluto, you are too intense for me! My reasons for the SS are a tad simpler. I will shoot myself in the foot and admit here that I stilll ride a geared bike, two of them actually. But the SS is alot funner, and a quicker, easier, not so complex way to get out and have some fun.
    I got mine on a lark, and because I got a great deal. On my first ride I was impressed by the rigidity, the thing is STIFF and FAST! And the fact that I got a smokin workout in a shorter time.
    Corporate conspiracy theories aside (I too hate Shimano!) the dang bike is just more fun to ride, and simpler. No shocks, deraileurs or pivot link arms to worry about. It is like riding the old Schwinn Stingray, just fun.

zeebot
    i rode a decked out hammerhead 100x or whatever it's called yesterday for a bit while a rider with me tested my SS and once i found the 34/18 spot i didnt shift anymore. sadly the $4,000 bike wouldnt let me stand up and enjoy the climbs

Hοmo Velo
    That's the longest collection of emotional drivel I've read in a long time. I can't believe you need to use that many sappy terms to justify the fact that you ride a bike with only two cogs on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pluto Pilot
    Some may argue singlespeeding is too hard...it'll turn people away. Hogwash I say.
    That statement is the best example that you should really make a serious attempt at waking up the rational part of your brain before you hit the keyboard.

I started taking my son mountain biking on the kinds of trails that I enjoy when he was nine years old. He has since then turned into an avid mountain biker who is also racing. If I'd given him a singlespeed to start with, do you seriously believe that he would have stayed with the sport? If yes, then explain from which orifice you pull the idea that walking every single climb is appealing to a nine-year-old.

No, telling him that surfing is hard too wouldn't have helped much I'm afraid. Child psychology doesn't work that way.

Your long winded socio-babble reeks of insecurity. If singlespeeding puts a big smile on your face - there should be no need to dig out a big, stinking heap of politically related reasons to convey the feeling.
    If you don't like climbing, then my rides are three times more fun than yours.

mtbr member

I just ride because

Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    I keep reading about riders of SS bikes going to the 'darkside' (geared bikes), or ss people putting down geared bikes. What's the point??? It seems like the old DH Vs. XC. We all like to ride on dirt. Don't matter if it is 1 gear, 9 gears or 27 gears. It's all about riding bikes where there ain't any cars and plenty of clean air, trees and singletrack! Roadies.... now there is the question. Why Road? Btw, I just finished an epic ride today, I was on my SS, two on XC f/s and one on a dual-crowned Bullit. There was no jealousy or rivalery (though I think the xc guys wished they were on my SS ) Why do we have to feel better than geared bikes? It doesn't make much sense.
    I just ride because I like to. And I prefer the simplicity of SS over a gear cluster any day. I don't put geared bikes down. I just prefer to ride SS. All my bikes are SS. My road bike, yes, my road bike is a Surly Pacer, turned fixed gear...and I LOVE IT!
    My mountain bike is much more fun and efficient than having a cassette...I passed 5 gearies yesterday at Kettle Moraine. Some just couldn't keep up. It wasn't a race, I am just a better, stronger rider due to my big hairy legs, and the efficiency to hammer up hills rather than shift to a püssy gear.

Hοmo Velo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    sadly the $4,000 bike wouldnt let me stand up and enjoy the climbs
    ...or: Sadly, the rider didn't understand that the way to enjoy the climbs on a squishy FS bike is to sit and spin.

You keep telling yourself it was the bike's fault, I don't care.

Hοmo Velo
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I just ride because I like to. And I prefer the simplicity of SS over a gear cluster any day. I don't put geared bikes down. I just prefer to ride SS. All my bikes are SS. My road bike, yes, my road bike is a Surly Pacer, turned fixed gear...and I LOVE IT!
    My mountain bike is much more fun and efficient than having a cassette...I passed 5 gearies yesterday at Kettle Moraine. Some just couldn't keep up. It wasn't a race, I am just a better, stronger rider due to my big hairy legs, and the efficiency to hammer up hills rather than shift to a püssy gear.
    If you passed five gearies, how does that explain that your SS bike is more efficient. If I passed you on my geary, what conclusion would you draw?

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Biking Viking
    ...or: Sadly, the rider didn't understand that the way to enjoy the climbs on a squishy FS bike is to sit and spin.

You keep telling yourself it was the bike's fault, I don't care.
    lol. actually i rode a full suspension for quite awhile and just changed over. An easier interpretation of my previous thoughts would be 'i like to stand up and mash up hills and suffer with one gear.' does that make it simpler for you to understand?

Hοmo Velo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    lol. actually i rode a full suspension for quite awhile and just changed over. An easier interpretation of my previous thoughts would be 'i like to stand up and mash up hills and suffer with one gear.' does that make it simpler for you to understand?
    Makes more sense. That's how I enjoy climbing my SS, too - but sometimes I sit down and grind as well to get my abs worked out.

mtbr member

angry viking

If you passed five gearies, how does that explain that your SS bike is more efficient. If I passed you on my geary, what conclusion would you draw?
    I would draw that you probably passed me going downhill.

Hοmo Velo

Not angry.

I would draw that you probably passed me going downhill.
    Good answer. Now if I passed you going uphill, what would that tell you about SS vs. geary efficiency? I think nothing, but it'd be interesting to hear your conclusion.

ps. Riding a geary in an SS race is considered cheating - not the other way around.

mtbr member

yikes!

Good answer. Now if I passed you going uphill, what would that tell you about SS vs. geary efficiency? I think nothing, but it'd be interesting to hear your conclusion.

ps. Riding a geary in an SS race is considered cheating - not the other way around.
    You sure are angry! GO take a shít and drink some milk. It will do you better. If you pass me uphill on your geared bike, while cheating at a race in the SS class, I'd kick your ass.

Fat, but working on it...
    I personally do it because I like not having to listen to my gears clunk around while shifting. Where I ride mostly, mud is the most prominent fixture. On my geared bike, halfway through the ride the derailleurs and cable housings are so full of mud that my bike ends up staying in one gear anyways.

I will admit, I miss my full suspension when riding a SS, but oh well. That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger I suppose.

As for the arguement between geared and SS riders, just let it go. People have to have something to argue about. If it wasn't that it would be something else.

Hοmo Velo
    You sure are angry! GO take a shít and drink some milk. It will do you better. If you pass me uphill on your geared bike, while cheating at a race in the SS class, I'd kick your ass.
    Mmm - using words like sh|t and and ass is something that makes me think of anger, but maybe that's just me.

I took a sh|t almost six hours ago, so there's no need for another one yet. HOWEVER, if it makes you less upset about my posts, I can always give it a try.
    Last edited by Biking Viking; 04-19-2004 at 06:20 AM.

mtbr member

cheers

Mmm - using words like sh[/i]it and and ass is something that makes me think of anger, but maybe that's just me.

I took a shi[/i]t almost six hours ago, so there's no need for another one yet. HOWEVER, if it makes you less upset about my posts, I can always give it a try.
    Cheers! this coming Friday, at 5 PM, I'll guzzle a Sprecher Amber for you...in the mean time, I do have to take a shít.

I am the owl
    I keep reading about riders of SS bikes going to the 'darkside' (geared bikes), or ss people putting down geared bikes.
    There's an epic battle raging between these two factions? I must have missed my draft notice...
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Why ask why?

Run what ya brung. Geeze this is so complicated,and I thought S/Sing was supposed to be simple,,,,,,,

Account Retired

Listen! Can't we all just get along

I did three group rides this past weekend and all of them included both ssr's and gearies. No harsh words were spoken (on the subject of ss vs. geary) and much gas was passed.

Here's a sticker I have on my geary that was given (his troll/wife later collected a dollar for it) to me by a mullet wearing geary that finds singlespeeders without merit. Enjoy and try to see the humor in these little tiffs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Ah, but at least I got a rise out of you!

That's the longest collection of emotional drivel I've read in a long time. I can't believe you need to use that many sappy terms to justify the fact that you ride a bike with only two cogs on it.

That statement is the best example that you should really make a serious attempt at waking up the rational part of your brain before you hit the keyboard.

I started taking my son mountain biking on the kinds of trails that I enjoy when he was nine years old. He has since then turned into an avid mountain biker who is also racing. If I'd given him a singlespeed to start with, do you seriously believe that he would have stayed with the sport? If yes, then explain from which orifice you pull the idea that walking every single climb is appealing to a nine-year-old.

No, telling him that surfing is hard too wouldn't have helped much I'm afraid. Child psychology doesn't work that way.

Your long winded socio-babble reeks of insecurity. If singlespeeding puts a big smile on your face - there should be no need to dig out a big, stinking heap of politically related reasons to convey the feeling.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

interesting. fewer riders on Durango trails

I'm convinced there are fewer mtbers on our local trails than there used to be in the mid 90s. I can do a 3-hour a.m. ride and not see a single mtber on a weekday; and might see a dozen on a spring sunday afternoon. I used to see lots more than that.
    I don't think it has as much to do with bikes' complexity as the harsh fact that mtbing is hard and you have to be in decent shape to enjoy it. lots and lots and lots of folks bought mtbs in the 90s and took to the trails only to discover how hard it actually is, so they moved on to easier pursuits. to ride well you gotta ride frequently, just dusting off the bike for a silver dollar spring day after weeks of inactivity guarantees a miserable time. I think that's the crux of it, mtbing is a lot harder than it looks on tv commercials.

Hοmo Velo
    Quote Originally Posted by Pluto Pilot
    Ah, but at least I got a rise out of you!
    You did?

So, is singlespeeding still a great way to introduce kids to mountain biking?

mtbr member

Singlespeeding and kids

YES IT IS.

Of course trail selection is key. Have you ever picked up a kids geared MTB? We take my riding buddies son out with us occasionally on easier trails. He loves it and keeps up fine. He rides a bmxish bike with the seat at proper levels and a 2:1 gear. He does just fine, barely ever walks. Oh, full rigid too.

MC

You did?

mtbr member

Bmx?

Well, in terms of simple bike that they can beat on every day - that's why they have BMX bikes - more often than not with one cog.

I think singlespeeds are great for everyone. Once you get used to them, you can ride 90% of the stuff you normally could, and when you take into consideration less maintanance generally associated with a 1x1, that means more time on the bike and less in front of the Playstation II.

But, you got me thinking. Certainly, there should be a clause for the very old or the very young. So I say, only those under 12 or those over 70 should be allowed to use gears!

You did?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast