Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What's at the end of your street?

As I was coming home from a ride today, I got to the top of my hill and the "End O' The Street" trail called out to me. It was an unbelievable SoCal winter day (80 degrees and clear):

I went home and unloaded, grabbed the camera, shot down to the end of the street and jumped the curb (yes mom, I looked both ways before crossing):

Dropping in from 1300':

Single Speed content:

Man, I love this trail:

Time to go back up. 32 x 16, this is gonna hurt:

I keep telling myself that there is beer in the fridge:

One last look back:

Beer me!:

Fast going down and a grunt coming up:

Now it's time to watch football and wait for the green flash:

There's single track and the Pacific Ocean at the end of my street (there is also ice cold beer back in the fridge!) What's at the end of your street?

TD

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Jeez!

Rub it in a little more. All i have is to leave the back of my neighborhood and then follow some dirt roads that lead along the las vegas wash. I see bums, a moto track, and a paintball area. All of wich is located in a mostly burned up landscape. From fires that rage back there pretty much every summer. I really enjoy the veiw of the abandoned trailers/plywood structures where a few underprivaleged guys reside. Once i saw a few guys fishing in the wash (WTF?) I'm not sure on miles 'but people around here are amazed when i tell them i can bike to lake meade and back in about 2 hrs. All from this dirt road network. Maybe during the holiday weekends i'll get out there and update with some pics. oh yeah. My residence is in henderson,nv. and not at all a bad area to live,but go offroad a few miles anywhere in the las vegas valley and your sure to stumble acroos some interesting(not so touristy) sightings.
    Lefty Lucy / Righty tighty .

meatier showers

At the end of MY street lies.........

.....another cul-de-sac and 47 degree drizzle this time of year. But I'm not complaining. Singletrack is not so far away from my house and in the summer it stays light up here until 9pm. The lifestyle is mellow, cost of living reasonable and our trails consist of such firm, loamy soil that there's rarely any dust. Plus we have trees -- BIG trees and lots of 'em.

By no means am I sayin' I've got it better than you (I COULDN'T after lookin' at those awesome photos you posted). Just sayin' that there are reasons for living just about anyplace. Well, except Alabama.

--Sparty

P.S. Sorry Alabamans (Alabamanites?). Really, I am.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member

Here's whats at the "Ends" of my street.

Well 2 ends to my street. Lets see, on the nice side of the tracks(the side I live on!) there's a hugh Catholic School/Church and our community center, no trails but some nice roadie hills to hit this way, the other side of the tracks is just ok, probably nicer than the bad parts of Vegas, but you can still get Crack within 3 blocks, no problem.

My closest trail is 20 min's away, and its a fun one, written up in Bike Mag a while back even. More turns and twists than you can imagine, a tight handling singlespeed singletrack paradise in 5 miles of trail. Longer rides are more like a hour to 2 away. My ride profile would look amazingly different than many of the other posters around here. Most trails only have a 100 - 400' elevation gain, but you go up and down it many times per ride. A roadie buddie of mine just moved back from Utah, Park City to be exact. We did a local road ride with his fancy computer and graphed it over the hilly ride in Park City. Amazingly we only gained like 400' less elevation, but went up and down hills 10 times as often.

Our weather is extra cold today, its 8 deg right now with a wind chill in the negatives. some snow down from this morning too. Needless to say the bikes are cozy in the garage till it warms up to the teens. Supposed to be back to 46 by Tuesday, typical Cincinnati weird weather.

Thanks for sharing the views,

MC

Bike Junky
    Jan 2004
    I feel for you all. Must be rough to have such nice weather. I went for a ride yesterday to break in my new Nokian studded tires. It was 8 degrees and there is no delightful scenery to speak of.

mtbr member

at the end of my street....

Surprise, surprise is another street and sadly no single track. I do however have the Henry Hudson parkway and the west side bike path at the end of my street...its sad, all i want to mountain bike and here i am trying to learn all of Das Kapital in one night, and dealing with the snow...damn wish i was in socal (with a cold beer) right about now...

mtbr member

ok

screw you and your 80 degrees. i think it only gut up to 20 here in nebraska today, i rode to a party last night, on the way home it was 10 my hands were frozen by the time i got home. here is a pic from the end of my street, looking west down onto the airport in lincoln..

scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (59.9 KB, 1195 views)

Just Ride!

Sand & Surf...

This is the end of my street.Life in Socal is just too damn sweet.

mtbr member

American paradise

...a strip mall with a liquor store and a gun shop. I tell no lie. On the much better side of things I am within riding distance to killa singletrack and a good road ride away from mountains and the Pacific Ocean...Merry Xmas.
    "Sometimes it's fun to make a bad decision."
    -Jerzy (my son, at 6 years old)

your ankles are fat
    Aug 2004

what's at the end of my street...

a damn snow bank!!! that's what.....then there's a frozen river to ride and xc ski on though. But no G-D palm trees or sandy beachs, or mtns for that matter...

Merry Christmas y'all!

Recovering couch patato
    My appt looks out on old docks and some car dealerships accross the wide road connecting 2 cities grown on to each other. Whichever way I ride, it take 3 miles to get out of habitation. What I get is green, green farmlands, with hardly a cow on it. The sad, depressing reality of the world-famous Duch Landscape. A beach at 15miles, nearest legal singletrack 35miles in the dunes, nearest true forest 45+ miles :-(
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    [size=3]Perhaps I should have gone with a different title and tagline to this thread but then I would not have gotten such detailed responses.[/size]

Happy Holidays,

TD

Des(s)ert Rat
    A house. I live on a court.

But I do have some great singletrack a short drive away. This is me and my Surly on a nearby trail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Account Retired

The End

At the end of my street is a gate.......on the other side of that gate is a ritual pooping grounds for giant canadian geese that doubles as a paved bike path that takes you to my local trails in just about a mile. If you go the other way on my street, it takes you to a resouvoir, with a bunch of soccer fields and a Unitarian Universalist Church.......... Suburbia..........strip malls........aluminum siding.........and many, many, many people........eventually you would hit the shores of a great inland sea, known as lake michigan. I like to go the other way toward the trails.

paintbucket
    This reminds me of a guy I knew in college. He was from Maine and directions to his house were: Go to US 1. Head north. Third house on the left from the end.

That puts one end of his street at the Canadian border (and points north) and the other at Key West.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Old Bikes Suck!

So Cal is great but dont move here!

my house in san diego is surrounded my canyons, trails, and great weather. our weather is even better than the rest of so cal. while we do have OK trails everywhere around my house i do need to drive for 45 minutes to hit epic trails.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [SIZE=2]
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    Keyesville Vintage Mountain bike race!
    http://www.ssfta.com/vintage-race.html
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [SIZE=3]Anybody selling a Cook Bros. mtn stem? How about a blue Chris King Theaded headset? [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by TD?
    [font=Arial] What's at the end of your street?[/left]

TD
    at one end of my street is another, busier street with some of the worst pavement in atlanta (no simple feat, that). at the other end of my street is an even busier street, but at least the pavement is a little better, not that it really helps since you're likely to develop a sudden case of death by motorist if you make the bad decision to ride a bike on it. nothing photogenic at either end unless you count the flowers in my garden last spring.

rt - will be "attending a conference" in socal in about a month (& yes, i will be bringing a bike - for the 5th year in a row. )
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    at one end of my street is another, busier street with some of the worst pavement in atlanta (no simple feat, that). at the other end of my street is an even busier street, but at least the pavement is a little better, not that it really helps since you're likely to develop a sudden case of death by motorist if you make the bad decision to ride a bike on it. nothing photogenic at either end unless you count the flowers in my garden last spring.

rt - will be "attending a conference" in socal in about a month (& yes, i will be bringing a bike - for the 5th year in a row. )
    Where will you be in SoCal? We'd love to throw a ride together for ya!

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

34N 118W

a mountain

nice pics TD!

at one end of my street is a big-ass mountain thats a grueler to climb on SS.

at the other end of my street is a stop sign.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Where will you be in SoCal? We'd love to throw a ride together for ya!

B
    i'll be in san diego, pacific beach area. i'll probably be bringing my road bike with me since my schedule will be pretty flexible (i'm not presenting at the conference this year, whew!) and i won't have access to a car. i've discovered that i can do some pretty nice road rides straight out the front door of my hotel.

would love to hook up for a ride while i'm in town.

rt - will try not to bring cold, rainy weather like i have the last 4 years.
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

Medium?

So you got that going for you...

Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    you can still get Crack within 3 blocks, no problem.
    Wanna ride any early morning or night Jan 6-10 '05?

Medium?

Yea, but...

Can you get crack within 3 blocks? Um, I mean more crack.

Old Bikes Suck!
    right on, i live 5 minutes from that drunken party down we call pacific beach. i have more bikes than i can count so i'm sure if you want to hook up for a mtn ride you can find one that will fit you. i'm down for a road ride too. i work at home so just let me know when and where.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [SIZE=2]
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    Keyesville Vintage Mountain bike race!
    http://www.ssfta.com/vintage-race.html
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [SIZE=3]Anybody selling a Cook Bros. mtn stem? How about a blue Chris King Theaded headset? [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubbusrider
    right on, i live 5 minutes from that drunken party down we call pacific beach. i have more bikes than i can count so i'm sure if you want to hook up for a mtn ride you can find one that will fit you. i'm down for a road ride too. i work at home so just let me know when and where.
    awesome! if you've got an mtb that fits me i'm down for augmenting my roadie miles with some trail (i'll bring my shoes & pedals). and it would be great to have some company on the road from someone who actually knows where they're going. i got a lot of miles in riding in circles last year!

i'll be in town from 1/24-1/28, staying at the pacific terrace. don't know if i'm going to be able to stay for any weekend time since the hotel doesn't offer the gov't rate on the weekends (cheap bastids! ) and i can't afford to stay there otherwise.

rt

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*
    ...(i'm not presenting at the conference this year, whew!)...
    Where will you be presenting?

Just curious...

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast