Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Retro Grouch

New question here. What's the dumbest thing you ever did to a bike?

They say every mistake you make working on your bike is like tuition to bike mechanic school. This was easy to do but I had to admire my perseverance. The first time a did a complete bike build, I didn't just do one side, but completely installed the cups and bottom bracket backwards (cross threading the whole way; it's amazing what you can do with a 24" breaker bar ). Fortunately the frame was a little harder than the aluminum cups and I was able to re-dress the threads and install them correctly (and I know for a fact the bike is still in use today and the bottom bracket has never come lose).

There is also the time I tried pounding off my crank arms with a mallet; oh no, that was DAS ; never mind.

1G1G, Brad

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

It was...........

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    They say every mistake you make working on your bike is like tuition to bike mechanic school. This was easy to do but I had to admire my perseverance. The first time a did a complete bike build, I didn't just do one side, but completely installed the cups and bottom bracket backwards (cross threading the whole way; it's amazing what you can do with a 24" breaker bar ). Fortunately the frame was a little harder than the aluminum cups and I was able to re-dress the threads and install them correctly (and I know for a fact the bike is still in use today and the bottom bracket has never come lose).

There is also the time I tried pounding off my crank arms with a mallet; oh no, that was DAS ; never mind.

1G1G, Brad
    Putting gears on it!

giddy up!
    How bout chasing a BB shell with the dies on the wrong sides? Yup, threaded the drive side thread into the non-drive and vice-versa!

Bear in mind this was years ago, when I was a fledgling newbie into the world of wrenching. The dies were also incorrectly labeled by a previous mechanic.

How's that?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

JRA
    mtbr member

Re: dumb things done to a bike

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    They say every mistake you make working on your bike is like tuition to bike mechanic school.
    Installed a headset cup backwards. The bike shop mechanic said I was never allowed to work on my own bike again.

mtbr member
    Sawed in half multiple lugged steel road bike frames when I was younger.

Wandering not Lost

not so much to a bike but on a bike....

oh this did hurt....and more or less ended any ideas that I liked concrete

not a mark on the body...but..I did break two bones in my left arm....
    Last edited by BThor; 12-20-2004 at 04:55 PM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    much less costly (money wise) than you guys...my most notorious is....
    1. "install the tire the right direction. install the tire the right direction. install the tire the right direction. install the tire the right direction." And what do I do? You guessed it, usually w/ DH tires too.

And then....
    2. dropping tools every 30 seconds...

Oh yes...
    3. installing a chain without running it through the deraillieur.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    I tried installing a suspension fork in my days when I didn't know there was such things as different sized steerers and the like and either did I have good enough tools.

Tried installing a 1 1/8" threadless 2002 RS Judy XC into an old steel frame with a 1" threaded headset. Plus the fork was setup for 100mm and the frame geometry was never ever design for suspension.
    About $300 (old Aussie dollars) to get the fork repaired and install plus I got an aluminium hardtail which costed another $600. For the $250 for the new steerer I could have got a Duke or better a Marzocchi. My first exucusion into suspension sucked for the unfortunate costs, but the fork did make up on rough trails, everywhere else especially climbing or asphalt duty it sucks, bob, bob, bob, bob. No freaking lock-out function.

I ride my rigid SS on the smoother trails and I love the climbing ability.

I'm sticky
    Aug 2004
    "I think I'll tighten this titanium crank bolt just a little more..."

Snapped the top of the bolt right off. Luckily the rest of the bolt was accessible and was easily removed. Could of been bad though.

Am I getting too bulky?
    Sp;rinting down the middle of the road verses my friend, while on a tubular tire that wasn't glued on due to having been replaced due to flatting (we never used to glue on our spares). Hey, when it's time to sprint for a light, it's time to sprint for a light! You just hope you don't roll a tire while torquing your bike from side to side. Doh!!! All in all, in only cost me about five stitches to my forehead and a new rim.

Not the first time I rolled a tire, and not the last, but the only time I had to get stitches.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

Retro Grouch

Ahh; sewup hell...

Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    Sp;rinting down the middle of the road verses my friend, while on a tubular tire that wasn't glued on due to having been replaced due to flatting (we never used to glue on our spares). Hey, when it's time to sprint for a light, it's time to sprint for a light! You just hope you don't roll a tire while torquing your bike from side to side. Doh!!! All in all, in only cost me about five stitches to my forehead and a new rim.

Not the first time I rolled a tire, and not the last, but the only time I had to get stitches.
    The first thing I did when I aquired my track bike was to relace clinchers onto the hubs. My bike guru has this unbelievable photo on a velodrom of a rider just about to do a head dab into the wood and you can see his front sewup has come off the rim and is looped around the handle bar . That had to leave a mark...

1G1G, Brad

Ride Bikes, Drink Beer
    I didn't do it, my wife did. She did the infamous drive into the garage with the bike on the roof rack. It was an old steel frame. It crumpled like there was nothing to it. She felt horrible and I got a new bike out of the deal.

paintbucket
    Surely I'm not the only one who's left the crank bolt washer inside the crank and then used the crank puller, stripping the threads out completely. Adding insult to injury the lbs told me the only way to get the crank off was with a hammer and cold chisel, ruining the bottom bracket too.

At least the second time I left in the washer and stripped the crank I had the sense to just ride around the parking lot until the crank arm loosened up all by itself.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

I pigskin I never Nerf it
    Oct 2004
    Riding 6 miles from my house to trail without spares or tools. See the post here.

Man the walk back sucked.
    James

I aspire to be on Osokolo's ignore list.

Quote Originally Posted by Osokolo
    small minds usually try to insult other people by saying things that they themselves suffer from...
    i dont care that you have a small penis or erectile disfunction

Tom
    where are the roots?
    I volunteer at a community bike shop, so I often am working on bikes that are old, strange, or just new to me. One day I was reaming and facing the headtube on a frame, so I had it flipped upside down in the repair-stand in order to have easy access to the the bottom side of the head-tube. I then proceeded to install the headset and the fork. Of course I had forgotten to flip the frame around, so when I tried to install a stem I realized it was going to hit the downtube.

Bikes not Bombs.....

The year was 1964..... Christmas day..... 8:10 AM

My parents had bought me and my brother brand new Sears 3 speeds. We got dressed and took them down to "The HILL"..... we started rolling down the hill, my brother got ahead of me by 10 feet, I drafted him, tucked in real close.... 10, 20 30 MPH maybe faster than that, as the crappy three speed bikes had no speedometers.....I came within 2 inches of his rear tire, ready to make my move..... suddenly a cat ran in front of my brother....he hit the brakes..... WHAM... I plowed right into the back of him.....bloody, bruised and laughing our #*@'s off, we pushed the P.O.S.'s back up the hill, never to be ridden again.

We were put on restriction for 2 weeks, we never got another new bike and we could not even touch a bike for the next 2 years. Little did my parents know.... this would affect me for the balance of my life.

-JS-
    [SIZE=2]Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... [/SIZE] -

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Oh yes...
    3. installing a chain without running it through the deraillieur.

Sounds like the bike was trying to send a message
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    About thirteen years ago, my brother wanted to throw away a rusted old bmx bike. We also didn't like some of our elementary school aged neighbors, so I sabotaged the bike before ditching it.

Y'know how the old bmx bikes always had a top tube protector pad? I took a pipe cutter and saw and cut off most of the top tube then put the top tube protector back on. We left it in the yard because we knew they'd steal it, and they did. We didn't see any kids crash on it, but a few days later it was back in our yard and the down tube was buckled and the front wheel was choppered out. Thank goodness we didn't get our arses sued off!
    Last edited by Drevil; 12-20-2004 at 10:22 PM.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

wait a minute....

Idea!

stripped out the teeth on a isis bb. I turned it counterclockwise with a 3 foot cheater bar and ripped out the the teeth because i thought it was stuck. I didnnt know that side loosened clockwise.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

metal not vynil

Riding downtown last night with my son and a freind. We were cruising the sidewalks and I thought I'd stand so I'd ruffle the vinyl awning (spelling?) in front of a store.
    I stood - the awning hung ... BAM! Funny how the metal awnings look so much like vinyl.

Needless to say my son and freind had to ask me what the **** I was doing. I explained. The rest of the ride every time we came near a store with an awning they were quick to yell out 'metal' or ' vinyl '.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy
    ... the infamous drive into the garage with the bike on the roof rack..
    I've done that. Fortunately the bike wasn't damaged. It was an '84 Jetta with roof gutters and gutter-mounted Thule rack. The bad news is both the roof rack and the car's roof/gutters were damaged. I'd have rather the car would have come out okay and the bike had been damaged. Would have been cheaper.

That might be the stupidest thing I've done, but the worst thing I've done on a bike was crash. Well, two crashes, actually. The first one happened on a night ride while riding a narrow trail notched into a sheer rock cliff. Because it was pitch black and my light was lousy, I didn't realize the wall was so close to the end of my handlebar, which hit the rock wall, which tipped me outboard and over the edge... a 12' fall netted me four snapped ribs.

For the next six weeks even the simple act of sneezing brought me to tears.

The other crash was on a road bike; descending the infamous switchbacks of Eugene's Old Dillard Road nearing the end of an 80 mile road ride. Hot summer day -- I wore only lycra shorts and a t-shirt. I hit gravel while leaned over at 35mph and slid about 50 feet. You know how much skin you can remove from your body sliding across 50 feet of hot, rough asphalt?

Enough.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

34N 118W

theft prevention

I rode the old fixie to Office Depot or Staples, one of those - for supplies. I didn't have a lock, so I used my clever, ghetto methods of undoing the front wheel q/r and unclipping the front brake cable. Boy will that surprise whoever tries to snatch my bike!

Too bad my ADD kicked in and I walked out of the store completely forgetting what I had done. I rode down a slight grade on the sidewalk towards an intersection when the whole front end went to hell. WTF??? Grab the brake....Doh! I looked like a complete spaz dragging my feet trying to stop the wobbling mofo, then had to look cool like I planned it that way. Nice.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    I rode the old fixie to Office Depot or Staples, one of those - for supplies. I didn't have a lock, so I used my clever, ghetto methods of undoing the front wheel q/r and unclipping the front brake cable. Boy will that surprise whoever tries to snatch my bike!

Too bad my ADD kicked in and I walked out of the store completely forgetting what I had done. I rode down a slight grade on the sidewalk towards an intersection when the whole front end went to hell. WTF??? Grab the brake....Doh! I looked like a complete spaz dragging my feet trying to stop the wobbling mofo, then had to look cool like I planned it that way. Nice.
    Just blew caffeine free diet coke on my iMac...thanks....

Mtn Biker Machinist
    1st mtn bike, put a 24" nutted hub on the front of a 26" quick release fork. (This is before the little safety tabs were put on the fork dropouts!) Rode down the street, bunny hopped a pothole, wheel rolled on down the street without me, bike and I ate pavement. I thought no one saw, but alas, next week it was in my high school newspaper. (Small town, not much else going on!)

Not because I'm fast.....

Here's just one of many.......

I recently attached a front Sram XO twistshifter to my buddies rear derailleur and couldn't figure out why the hell it wouldn't shift right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast