mtbr member
    Feb 2007

whats the best tensioner to get

im looking to buy a rear tensioner, as i cant get the chain length right for singlespeed. at the moment i have been looking at the dmr sts and a gusset one.

what chain tensioners do you reccomend
    also whats the best chain tool to buy that is compatible with single speed and (maybe bmx chains)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm a big fan of the Rennen Rollenlager
    ....::::::::: WeRideBikes:::::::::....

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by Timw99
    im looking to buy a rear tensioner, as i cant get the chain length right for singlespeed. at the moment i have been looking at the dmr sts and a gusset one.

also whats the best chain tool to buy that is compatible with single speed and (maybe bmx chains)

The best chain tensioners are the Rohloff and the Paul Melvin.

The best chain tool is the Rohloff one.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    I use the DMR STS and have had no problems at all. Easy adjustment and no spring to worry about.

mtbr member

2nd the Rennen

Very smart design. It does not rely on springs for tension. SImple, bombproof, well made-albeit more expensive then its cousins.

mtbr member
    May 2006

soulcraft convert

soulcraft's convert has been faultless for my campyfied ss crosscheck(32x15 for on road training and cross racing). i run it pushing up (i think it's less likely to come loose like this and better for off-road use because of the extra chainwrap on the cog) with a wipperman 10sp chain and no problems (for over a year now). if you pretty much never change rear cogs, it's great. i like the quietness of it (it doesn't have spring tension on it, it's static) if you change gears frequently, something else could be easier.

no gears, no tears
    Quote Originally Posted by Timw99

I've used the dmr sts, worked great with no problems. If you are going to use 1/8" bmx chains though, be aware that the groove in the roller on the dmr is not wide enough to fit a 1/8: chain. You can widen it out with a file though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by unschlerin
    soulcraft's convert has been faultless for my campyfied ss crosscheck(32x15 for on road training and cross racing). i run it pushing up (i think it's less likely to come loose like this and better for off-road use because of the extra chainwrap on the cog) with a wipperman 10sp chain and no problems (for over a year now). if you pretty much never change rear cogs, it's great. i like the quietness of it (it doesn't have spring tension on it, it's static) if you change gears frequently, something else could be easier.

not that its any of my business but why did you choose to run a tensioner on a crosscheck?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhat
    not that its any of my business but why did you choose to run a tensioner on a crosscheck?
    whats a crosscheck??

veinte nueve pulgadas
    two thumbs up for the soulcraft convert.

So it goes.....
    I can't say what the "best" tensioner is but I can say that the Rennen Rollenlager is a very well made and bullet proof tensioner. I converted my old 98 Fisher Paragon and beat the heck out of it for about 6 months. After I got the chainline and everything just right it was flawless. Never skipped a chain or caused any problems. I had to "gorilla" tighten it to keep it in its place but it was an excellent tensioner.

Now that I have a Fisher Rig, my old paragon is gathering dust. Guess I have to re-convert it back to a decent XC hardtail with gears....

Try the Rennen you can't go wrong.

OD
    It's the search....not the find

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I use the Rennen on my hardrock and its great. The DMR will work just as good too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    thanks for all the posts; i think im going to buy the rennen rollenlager.

Recovering couch patato
    I had the Rennen. Huge minus for the tiny o-ring that WILL jump into the long grass with every wheel change.
    On my bike, the Rennen just not matched the hanger langth, preventing he rear wheel to fully settle in the driveside dropout. I raced it once this way, and sold it. Actually I had two and sold both. Did win a national SS title in that one ride, it worked flawlessly (and dead silent) but with the imprper fit would have been a bad long-term plan on this particular frame.

I had to promote On-One now, but a design like the Otherdoofer batched tensioner they offer (I still have one) may do the trick at less than half the cost. Rennen rip-off really.

mtbr member
    springs are for derailleurs...

rennen all the way.
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    May 2006

surly crosscheck

surly makes the crosscheck; originally i got the convert for my c-dale, i then put gears back on said c-dale. the 10sp shifting chain combined with the shifting cog in the rear caused a few nasty kodak moments for me when the chain derailled, so i mounted the convert and have since done several cross races and training rides without losing the chain. and, yes, i wouldn't advise using a 10sp chain or a shifting cog for ss either, it's just what i had.

Recovering couch patato
    Surly Singleator?

mtbr member
    May 2006

surly singulator

i really like surly products: tuggnut, their frames forks(crosscheck and husker blue karate monkey that i built friday), their cranks even look like they have potential, but... everyone i know that has used the singulator has busted the spring and most run it zip-tied to the chainstay whether the spring is busted or not.

mtbr member
    With regard to the Rennen;
    Is the axel opening big enough for the nut on a Salsa Skewer?
    Thanks
    Lenny

mtbr member
    this is how i roll
    Attached Images Attached Images
    got moto?

Members who have read this thread: 0