mtbr member
    Sep 2008

What are your thoughts on the Jamis Exile?

Mornin' all,

I'm looking at the very distinct possibility of buying a Jamis Exile SS frame but wanted to hear some thoughts on it before making the leap. I ride a sigle speed now so that part of the decision is done. Does anyone have any experience on this frame and/or thoughts on its strengths and weaknesses? Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Just a note, I'm looking at the 26" wheeled version. Yes I know that is a cardinal sin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Big Dave*
    Mornin' all,

I'm looking at the very distinct possibility of buying a Jamis Exile SS frame but wanted to hear some thoughts on it before making the leap. I ride a sigle speed now so that part of the decision is done. Does anyone have any experience on this frame and/or thoughts on its strengths and weaknesses? Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Just a note, I'm looking at the 26" wheeled version. Yes I know that is a cardinal sin.
    I had the same question about two weeks ago... Voodoo Wanga, On One Inbred or Jamis Exile SS... I removed Jamis from the list because I found too many reports about broken frames. I bought Inbred...

my question regarding Voodoo Wanga and On One Inbred: 26er SS frame

you can find my new build in this thread: Post your singlespeed!

mistereckz
    Think they're goin' for $199 at Jeson...think I gonna pull the trigger right now!...done and on the way with free shipping to boot!!

By the way the frame seems to get good reviewshttp://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/single...3_1533crx.aspx

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    I got the 26er. It's my first SS bike so I can't really give an opinion as to how it compares to other bikes / frames. It's a total blast to ride and it is a very good looking frame (I call it "The Black B*tch"). Compared to my geared bike (Epic) it has a lot less flex and it feels very efficient when pedalling. I've not had any issues with it at all but the stock brakes and fork suck (I bought the whole bike). Be sure to put something better on it.

I'm not too hard on my bikes and don't weigh a lot (155). Jamis CS seems good about replacing busted frames though (check the Jamis forum). So I'm not really worried about the sturdiness of the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Unlikely my wife would bust her teeny little 13" frame, since she weighs all of 99lbs now.
    But I've been very impressed with the fit and finish, and she's had zero complaints. $199 shipped? I'm mightly tempted to move the components off my 26"er SS, to one of these, except I use V brakes, and my hubs aren't disc ready. Really don't want to have to replace the wheels. Can anyone confirm if the frame only (as compared to the whole bike) has V brake lugs or not? The pic at JensenUSA shows em on the frame, but not on the bike.

mtbr member
    it has them i bought one for my wife ..nice frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am liking mine.

The reports of broken Jamis concern the first batch of 29" Exiles without the additional downtube gusseting, the 26" Exiles are not breaking.

Witty McWitterson
    I have one of the newer 29" Exiles. I like it. Very nice riding bike. Comfortable, smooth. Agile. Basically just what you want in a bike.

fwiw, I do sell 'em, so take this with a grain of salt.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

Great bike

I wrote the latest MTBR review on the '06 26" Exile SS. The Exile's got a great frame that is really fun to ride. The stock component mix has some less than stellar parts, but the fork was really the only major upgrade to consider. My own upgrades look a lot like Tubedriver's Exile - I swapped the stock fork for a Fox and installed a Mary Bar also. I actually sold many of the OEM parts on Craigs List as new and made a little money back to cover some of my upgrades. I see Jenson is still blowing out the '07 model for $719 - IMHO this is a lot of bike for the money!

Repo

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by repoman
    I wrote the latest MTBR review on the '06 26" Exile SS. The Exile's got a great frame that is really fun to ride. The stock component mix has some less than stellar parts, but the fork was really the only major upgrade to consider. My own upgrades look a lot like Tubedriver's Exile - I swapped the stock fork for a Fox and installed a Mary Bar also. I actually sold many of the OEM parts on Craigs List as new and made a little money back to cover some of my upgrades. I see Jenson is still blowing out the '07 model for $719 - IMHO this is a lot of bike for the money!

Repo

Perhaps the only other mandatory swap (other than the fork) are the Hayes Sole brakes. While they actually work well enough, they will fail eventually. The picture I posted is old, my bike now has Elixir CRs.

tmb
    When in doubt- turn left
    Feb 2004
    Good stuff to hear, I just ordered a frame for my girlfriend,15" ana copper. Got some DT Swiss X430 wheels, LX crankset, Zocchi MX Pro fork, Maxm carbon bar and Marta brakes that will be transfered over. Oughta make a killer birthday gift

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Anyone have a rough idea of the tire clearance, and the proper axle-to-crown for the 26er Exile?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggity
    .....Can anyone confirm if the frame only (as compared to the whole bike) has V brake lugs or not? The pic at JensenUSA shows em on the frame, but not on the bike.
    I have a 2006 Exile that was purchased as a frame only. Yes, it has v-brake posts. The frame is also SS specific, and has no housing stops for derailleur cables. Complete bikes were speced disc only, and have derailleur housing stops.

smc
    mtbr member
    I've got a black 26" Exile SS which I got as a complete bike, swapped the Axel forks for Surly 1x1 rigid and swapped the Hayes Sole brakes for an old set of Deore hydros. Track fork ends and good steel frame at a budget price, good stuff