Retro Grouch

What is your go to saddle?

Obvious saddles are ubber important; on a fixe they are really important (less standing). For several years I used the below white Selle Italia Flite Ti and thought so highly of it I replaced most my other saddles with the below yellow Flite. My problem cropped up when the white saddle wore out and I replaced it with the below black Flite. Turns out not all Flite Ti's are the same. While I put up with it for several years, the black Flite just wasn't as comfortable as the others. This became an issue recently as I am ramping up the mileage for the Solvang Century. I finally decided to switch over to another black and yellow Flite and the magic is back (fortunately I'm running yellow tires or the saddle would clash horribly ).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is your go to saddle?-miche-seatpost.jpg  

What is your go to saddle?-black-flite.jpg  

What is your go to saddle?-yellow.jpg  

Last edited by aka brad; 02-04-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    I use the Selle Italia SLR for everything. I found it an unliley candidate for SS until I pressed one into service one day years ago in an emergency. It shouldn't be as comfortable as its minimalist design suggests. I love it.
    I thought Brooks would be the ticket as I am an old school kinda guy, but they were not as comfy as the SLR.
    There's a lid for every pot and a saddle for every butt.
    Nobody will hurt you more than yourself

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blsuedeshu
    ...There's a lid for every pot and a saddle for every butt.
    This thread can not get a more true answer at this point.

That being said, the lid to my pot is a Brooks B-17 Narrow. 2/3 of my bikes have one, I'll get a third eventually. Not light, but it's not a place for saving weight in my book, it's about comfort.

mtbr member
    I wanted to like the Brooks believe me; they look very cool. I think I still have a Swift with ti rails that I should give another shot.
    Nobody will hurt you more than yourself

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by blsuedeshu
    I wanted to like the Brooks believe me; they look very cool. I think I still have a Swift with ti rails that I should give another shot.
    I'll trade you asses so I can be comfortable on the light saddle. I guess curvy saddles aren't for everyone

meatier showers
    I love the Flite, but only have one. All my other bikes... ALL of them... are outfitted with ol' skool WTB SST saddles.

Back when WTB launched their new-at-the-time line of V saddles and announced they would discontinue the SST, I bought ten SSTs. I think that was 2003. I stil have one NIB. The others are scattered about my fleet in various stages of disintegration.

Recently WTB brought the classic SST back. Hallelujah.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Depends? My favorite mtb saddle is the WTB Rocket. Fairly comfy, and I can get behind it easy on downhills.

For commuting- something with medium-low padding and narrow.

For longer rides, Brooks Pro. I do not think Brooks belong offroad. In Oregon, at least.

surly inbred
    I'm on my fourth, or maybe fifth WTB Rocket. When the duct tape to leather ratio meets equilibrium, I start saving for my next replacement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The SDG Ti-Fly fits my ass superbly. It's light, too. However, I went through a lot of saddles before I found that one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The skin on my butt feels like a Brooks saddle, so as long as there is something on top of the seatpost to sit on, I'm good. I've got some kind of inexpensive Velo on my mountain bikes that they came with, and Brooks on my pavement bikes.

one chain loop
    i have used tons of saddles with both ti and cro-mo rails but the WTB Silverado is my favourite.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    SSTs for the last 12 years or so. I've tried others (all WTB) but always come back to old faithful. Interested in trying a Devo, as it seems a pretty close match in shape and size.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i usually rock the rocket v's. i got a stealth from a buddy and it isnt half bad either. kinda big though.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum
    I'm on my fourth, or maybe fifth WTB Rocket. When the duct tape to leather ratio meets equilibrium, I start saving for my next replacement.
    i use yellow electrical tape. looks so much better.

mtbr member
    I am only comfortable on the Specialized BG saddles. Phenom, Avatar, Toupe... they are amazing saddles- very lightweight, low profile, and incredibly comfortable. Been riding Spec's BG saddles since late 90's and can't get comfortable on anything else.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    i have used tons of saddles with both ti and cro-mo rails but the WTB Silverado is my favourite.
    I have to say this is my go to saddle as well. I have it on all my bikes. (S.I.R 9, Anthem X, and Scott CR1 roadie)

It just fits my @ss bones right.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    Good to know. I recently bought three of these off Chainlove for $35/ea. Gonna utilize them as my trusty SSTs give out.

Bought 'em (bottom?) cheeks unseen... hope they're a sweet fit whenever the time comes.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

openwound
    Fizik gobi. My hind parts don't like WTB saddles, the shape is a little too squared-off.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

rocket v for me!

such an individual & varied preference but...
    i rode a couple wtb sst's back about 10 years ago myself & thought it was great a great saddle. then when wtb came out with their v series i latched onto a rocket & for my a** it was a match made in heaven.
    over the past few years tried a specialized bg, selle italia, even a topeak allay (check that one out, it was not terrible) but always went back to the rocket v. have had just about all the various levels...race, team, slt & been very happy with them all. i even use a rocket v on my fg road bike.
    a while back i grabbed 1 of those silverados off chainlove & it did not make my butt happy at all. i was going to try a devo but it looks flat like the silverado so i guess i'll just stick with my ol' faithful...rocket v
    the singlespeed model, of course

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've been riding an older Gobi that is in desperate need of re covering. The new ones just don't seem to fit the same.

Did I catch a niner+?

Good job! WTB Pure V w/ ti rail

Got this when Chainlove had them going real cheap.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Supercross is the seat for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Good to know. I recently bought three of these off Chainlove for $35/ea. Gonna utilize them as my trusty SSTs give out.

Bought 'em (bottom?) cheeks unseen... hope they're a sweet fit whenever the time comes.

--sParty
    Damn that's a good deal. I found this saddle to be very good on my SS. Which could mean several things... When I get to sit, I'm so grateful I could be using a brick. Or the stretched out position when sitting works well with this saddle. I mounted the same saddle to my friend's bike (on which I was more upright in position), and I found I didn't like it nearly as much. So I put it back on the SS.

I just bought a Charge Spoon to try. Ordered black, got brown, don't care as long as my ass likey.

If that doesn't work I'm getting a Deva (yeah the chick one - so what?).

Dirty South Underdog
    Selle Italia Max Flite Trans Am

It's a boat anchor, but even during 100's, it's comfortable. They don't make that exact model anymore, so I aim to hoard them. If anyone knows of one for sale, PM me!
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Another vote for WTB SST. Been on them since around 97 or so. Really glad to see they brought the classic shape back.

I also recently picked up a Silverado Team Ti and it's got two things in common with the SST, says WTB on it and it's very comfy. Completely different shapes and levels of flex in the shell but they both just work for me.

I've got a collection of a$$ hatchets that don't work for me collecting dust in my workshop. Mostly came on bikes I bought and will go back on said bikes when sold.

underachiever
    I have a few first generation Selle Italia Flite saddles (all from the early & mid 90s) and like those a lot. I also have a couple of new Selle Italia SLR saddles and they're actually (surprisingly) quite comfortable. I picked up a Terry Fly Ti late last year and that has more cushion than the other saddles I have, but it's pretty light.

blame me for missed rides
    wtb rocket v

mtbr member
    I tried a rocket but the whale tail or whatever (the raised bit at the back) was no good after a couple of hours. I had a ti railed speed v that was really good but stupidly I sold it with a bike a few years ago. Never should have sold the bike- a 99 kona explosif which I miss to this day. Long story short, back to the SSTs.

How does the BG fitting system work? Always wondered how they measured your butt.

Fat & Single
    WTB's used to be my #1 but now my bikes all have Syncros FL's , i see they have a new model out with carbon rails now too.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    I've tried dozens of saddles over the years. I found the perfect fit a few years ago by using the sit bone measurement method, similar to what you find at specialized BG shops. The WTB Pure V was my match. I have 4 ranging form the top o the line slt to the OEM models. All provide similar comfort and ensure my ass dosnet get sore when switching bikes.

mtbr member
    Specialized Alias

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoochild
    Fizik gobi. My hind parts don't like WTB saddles, the shape is a little too squared-off.
    I like both. I spent 3 years on a WTB Pure V and loved it. Had one on two bikes at one point. Then I switched it up and tried the Gobi on a suggestion and I've loved that one too. The Gobi looks cooler though so I'll stick with that one for now.

mtbr member
    How many of you guys that like the WTB saddles have tried a specialized saddle?
    I am looking to switch to one over my current WTB , the spec saddle certainly has a little less padding which may stop me

mtbr member

Spec and wtb

Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike
    How many of you guys that like the WTB saddles have tried a specialized saddle?
    I am looking to switch to one over my current WTB , the spec saddle certainly has a little less padding which may stop me
    Don't let the padding be your indicator. The specialized saddles are so well designed that it's not just about padding- if you get the right fit, you don't hardly need padding as it puts your sit bones right in te right spot. I ride a toupe on my road bike and a phenom on my mtn bike and have done many hour endurance rides on both with no complaints from me or my behind

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Flite without cover or padding.Super light and minimal as poss.Comfy aswell as long as i have some thick pants on!! Also looks cool.

Stokeless Asshat
    Although I love my old school Flites Brooks has been my go to for at least 13 years. B17 Champion Pro, B17 narrow, Swift and the B72's on my clunkers and townies. I must own over 10 Brooks.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum
    I knew it. I've a cheap ass... noticed today that I have Speed V's, not Rockets.

Once again, more beer $$$.

mtbr member
    My go to saddle would be the Charge Spoon.

My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Most WTB's fit mt A$$. I have a Pure V, a Rocket V, and most recently a Silverado Team.

That said, I have scored a couple of THE Lux Saddles, and I REALLY like them.

Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

Members who have read this thread: 1