Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What is your frame choice - Aluminum or CrMo ?

I have tried a CrMo KHS, and it felt significantly heavier & sluggish compared to my Rig.
    On the other hand, the Rig is tough & rough aluminum, non forgiving at all.
    Are there any steel frames out there that are light & responsive as the Rig, but still deliver the "softer" ride character of a steel frame ?
    I would like a less harsh frame, but don't want to loose out the punch, weight & acceleration of the Aluminum. Or in other words - could one get the best of both worlds ?

one chain loop
    maybe titanium is the answer.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

meatier showers
    Rigid = steel
    FS = aluminum

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

one chain loop
    oh wait, i just realized my raleigh technium has the best of both worlds, aluminum front triangle and steel rear triangle.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    oh wait, i just realized my raleigh technium has the best of both worlds, aluminum front triangle and steel rear triangle.

That just might be the funniest thing I've read in weeks. Where were you when Raleigh USA needed you in 1988?

To the OP. Steel. Until I pony up money for a custom Ti.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

one chain loop
    LOL. im just coffee powered too in the morning.

mtbr member
    Not trying to mutt the KHS but maybe you should try a nicer steel frame. I'm sure you'd see the difference between the two. Steel is where it's at for me.

mtbr member
    steel. great builders like Land Shark or Rock Lobster, Don Walker, build steel. Then just use alu stem and post and your cheeks couldn't as for anything better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Steel. A KHS isn't going to be a good presentation of the qualities of steel.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I love my steel frames, but I'd love to throw a leg over this:

Sweep the leg!
    Scandium (which is essentially aluminum) and Carpet Fiber? I'd like to ride one first.

Could the top tube be more sloped? I'm getting tired of seeing so much seat post on bikes.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    Scandium (which is essentially aluminum) and Carpet Fiber? I'd like to ride one first.

Could the top tube be more sloped? I'm getting tired of seeing so much seat post on bikes.
    that's why, to me, a flat top tube is right.

mtbr member

I think the slope on the Selma looks a bit extreme too, but at the same time I know that more seatpost = more room to give and that it would feel comfier because of that

Stayin' Puft
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2

[IMG]pic removed[/IMG]
    Every time I see that Selma pic, I wish someone had a closeup of the hutch tubeless-ready logo right next to the cheesy "no tubeless" Salsa warning sticker on the rims.

Nice looking bike though, I bet it rides smooth.
    Last edited by canyonrat; 02-14-2009 at 01:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Rigid = steel
    FS = aluminum

--Sparty
    My exact sentiments!
    52 gear inches

meatier showers

Really?

I think that Salsa looks perfect.

T'each his own...

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Not all steel frames ride the same (any more than any other material). My chromoly Redline D440 rides smooth, but definitely a bit heavy and sluggish (but you really don't notice the weight so much on the trail, and it definitely smoothes things out). My RM Blizzard, which is Reynolds 725 steel, definitely has a more supple, responsive ride. I never think consciously "Gotta have steel..." but every bike I keep ends up being steel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

I LOOOOOVE the sloping top tube. I have never liked the flat top tubes.

mtbr member
    Funny this thread shows up...

Just inquired about when the Selma would be available. Mid February was the target and now I'm told they are delayed until April.

Anyone know any different?

Quote Originally Posted by CB2

Linux is for those who hate Microsoft, BSD is for those who love UNIX.

smell the saddle...
    I have 2 fully rigid steel bikes, a Bianchi M.U.S.S. and Surly 1X1.

The MUSS is lighter (I believe my medium was close to 4.5lbs or less). The 1X1 was closer to 5. I have the 1X1 setup as a urban/fixie style bike but the MUSS is ridden off-road only. It's one of the lightest, fastest bikes I have ridden - very responsive. It sucks up a lot of the vibrations, etc. I bought the frame off of Flea-Bay and custom built the remainder of the bike. I 've done a few things to it since this photo was taken (Running Exiwolf tires now, chunked the bash guard, etc.) I imagine it weighs 22 or less.

There are different grades of steel (some better than others). There is no way I would ride alloy on a fully rigid bike.

-stu
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    There are different grades of steel (some better than others). There is no way I would ride alloy on a fully rigid bike. That sums it up. That's what I was trying to say. Forgot to mention both my rides are rigid, cause I always assume everyone's is. Guess I'm still back in 1989....

hipneck
    Jan 2004

different grades of steel

Im currently looking at a Redline D460. The frame uses Japanese Sanko tubing. Where does this type of tubing fit into the different grades of steel? Low grade? Mid grade? I did a search trying to find a chart outling the different grades but didnt find anything.

smell the saddle...
    Good overall explanation of frame material types on Sheldon Brown's website:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-materials.html

On specifics on grades of steel this is a world of "geek speak" there are many opinions on the subject and arguments to what is better. I don't think I have any better understanding after researching it a good bit myself. Good place to start is the website from the frame builder you are interested in. Bianchi has a nice explanation of the metals they use and why (http://www.bianchiusa.com/tech_materials.html). Both Bianchi and Surly uses 4130 CroMo on their frames (which are my 2 SS).

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Steel is Real... 2 Kona Units here... I love em... One fully rigid, one with a reba... I went to all steel bikes including road... I love the feel...

808+909 = Party Good Time
    I love steel... geez it gives a nice ride. But I guess it has to be nice steel.

Yet to try Ti.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast