Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004

What would be a good, fast out of the box single speed?

I've built up my Monocog, and I've latched on to the SS passion. Now I want a fast singlespeed racer with front suspension. I'm looking at the Cannondale 1FG as a first option, also the Brodie 1 Ball (don't really like it) Can you guys think of any more? Do any of you own a bike like this?

KgB
    SNGLSPD

fast bike?

generally riders are fast not bikes.
    why not build one?or convert one
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    go to www.webcyclery.com and check out the Salsa Juan Solo

hmmmmm

Khs

I got a KHS Solo One for only Five Hundred beans... It's a 3/4" travel Soft Tail with rigid fork, and totally kicks. All chromo, nice and rigid. I saw the same bike (2003) on JensonUSA.com for three fiddy... Out of the box it's a great ride

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYBYU
    I've built up my Monocog, and I've latched on to the SS passion. Now I want a fast singlespeed racer with front suspension. I'm looking at the Cannondale 1FG as a first option, also the Brodie 1 Ball (don't really like it) Can you guys think of any more? Do any of you own a bike like this?
    I have a bianchi CUSS. my first 'real' SS and still love it, although i did upgrade. it has nice components out of the box. i put on a marzocchi fork from an old bike.
    the cannondale 1fg with the headshok is also a great bike. also check out bikes with rigid forks, then get a suspension fork if you want it. like the surly 1x1 or kona explosif. a good bike shop should be able to just work up a price for a complete built bike. then order the parts and build it up.
    i suggest you try to find one that fits well. a test ride can do wonders!
    but there are tons of options out there now, so it depends on what kind of bike you like (steel, aluminum, racy or cruisy)
    i also suggest you check out the ENO rear wheel. this makes any bike a singlespeed, which gives you a huge selection.
    Only boring people get bored.

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    I'm looking for a dedicated single speed, as light as possible with some sort of suspension on the front (not rigid) any type of brakes are fine, I'd actually perfer cable disc's or rim brakes. Not really concerned about comfort, because it's a SS so you are out of the saddle alot. Will defiantly test ride one first. Just all I can think of is the Cannondale (which I thought was a little pricey and the Brodie. I have to test ride the Brodie, what I didn't like was the moveable dropouts, I think they look silly and I question the long-term durability of that.

zeebot
    I'm looking for a dedicated single speed, as light as possible with some sort of suspension on the front (not rigid) any type of brakes are fine, I'd actually perfer cable disc's or rim brakes. Not really concerned about comfort, because it's a SS so you are out of the saddle alot. Will defiantly test ride one first. Just all I can think of is the Cannondale (which I thought was a little pricey and the Brodie. I have to test ride the Brodie, what I didn't like was the moveable dropouts, I think they look silly and I question the long-term durability of that.
    i may be wrong but i would think the aluminum frame of the cannondale would be not very comy to ride compared to a nice steel frame.

my surly 1x1 is probably around 21#'s. it was below that but added a bash guard recently. mine is rigid though. i've debated getting a fox 80rlt and adding another pound to the bike but am going to hold off for awhile since i really love the rigid ride just wonder if i'm nuking my wrists...

mtbr member
    I've had a steel ss a ti ss and a aluminum ss. the steel ss was ok the ti sucked. when ever I put the power down on climbs the tire would rub the chain stay so bad it felt like I grabed a hand full of brake. i've been riding and racing my 1fg for over a year a still love this bike. It's no more harsh than any of the other bikes i've owed. Put some 2.4 mutanos on and your ready. my bike is 20 lbs and the expert 30-39 geared boys hate it when I show up on this ss.the 1fg is a very sweet bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tubeless
    I've had a steel ss a ti ss and a aluminum ss. the steel ss was ok the ti sucked. when ever I put the power down on climbs the tire would rub the chain stay so bad it felt like I grabed a hand full of brake. i've been riding and racing my 1fg for over a year a still love this bike. It's no more harsh than any of the other bikes i've owed. Put some 2.4 mutanos on and your ready. my bike is 20 lbs and the expert 30-39 geared boys hate it when I show up on this ss.the 1fg is a very sweet bike.
    Wow, I love your bike I think the Cannondale is the way to go. I like the Redline, but honestly the rigid fork is a little too hard on the wrists for trail riding so I use it for mainly around town & running errands, occasional group ride, with the 32X16 I can do 18 mph on the road and just about keep up with my buddies I think that SS is the way to go offroad though, just need a shock up front, otherwise my Redline rips offroad. Of course it is a little heavy, around 25lbs I estimate, and adding a suspension fork to that will just make it worse and handle like crap too. I want to try riding a SS in a race this year, I'm a big guy and I love to mash the gears on my XC bike, so a SS would suit me good I think, for long slow climbs I think that they beat a geared bike hands down, the main advantage is the light weight and the solid drivetrain that doesn't lose alot of energy. Also I want to do the 24 hours of Adrenalin in Canmore this summer, I'm going to take all my bikes with me, but I will be starting out on the single speeds and then if I wear out close to the finish I will switch to my Trek hardtail. I'm a little partial to Cannondale anyway, I used to own a F1000 and it made me look like a champ offroad, 23lbs and nice tight geometry, unbeatable on tight single track and short steep climbs. Also my road bike is a Cannodale and it is also very light and fast as well, they just make you a better rider. The only downside is that they tend to be a bit pricey for the components you get. But I'll pay for the extra performance.

mtbr member
    Why not just put a suspension fork on the Redline?
    Dude, where's my gears?

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    I thought of that, but I like it the way it is. Really the frame is too heavy to justify adding a suspension fork too it. What I really want is something that would weigh the same or less then the Monocog does now, but with a suspension fork. I love the Redline, but I think that the wieght of it holds it back alot offroad. Also in Canada to buy a decent suspension fork would cost me upwards of $500, a 04 Judy here is $350. I bought my last fork mailorder but after duty, brokerage fees, etc. it was almost $500 too. Really for $500+ it makes more sense to get another bike with a suspension fork, besides I'm a little shy of my 7 bike quota

mtbr member
    Hm...

My Redline weighs in at about 20 lbs, rigid. That's pretty light on the trail...
    Dude, where's my gears?

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    How did you do that? I thought I used pretty light parts, Avid single digit 7's Mag levers and all and it is still almost as heavy as my XC bike, a good 24-25lbs.

mtbr member
    I used lots of light parts....carbon post, handlebar, light stem, Selle Italia SLR, Carbon crankset, CK headset, SRAM Hollowpin chain...and some other goodies. I could probably trim it down another pound...
    Dude, where's my gears?

KRN
    mtbr member

um....

the alloy version might be what your looking for I have a friend who has the steel bike & his weighs on at 23lbs so I dont know how the other guy got his down to 20 lbs I think he said? My friend works in a bike shop & he has all the connections BUT he just bought the Alloy version of the mono-cog & it does weigh 21 lbs but whatever good luck in your choice!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Didn't the alloy Monocog make the podium at Sea Otter?

I know, it's the rider not the bike.

But it does say something for it's race worthiness. If you already like the Monocog, the alloy version might be a good base to build on.

mtbr member

2nd the 1fg

Quote Originally Posted by tubeless
    You are able to put 2.4 Mutanos on the back? I didn't think they would fit.

I've had my 1FG for about 9 months and really love it. It just feels fast and the head shock is awsome - no flex, smooth travel, and total lockout when you want it. The back end is stiff, but no more harsh than the Surly I used to have.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    My singlespeed racer floats on the scale rigid at 28.7lbs. Sweet!

try driving your car less
    Wow, I love your bike I think the Cannondale is the way to go. I like the Redline, but honestly the rigid fork is a little too hard on the wrists for trail riding so I use it for mainly around town & running errands, occasional group ride, with the 32X16 I can do 18 mph on the road and just about keep up with my buddies I think that SS is the way to go offroad though, just need a shock up front, otherwise my Redline rips offroad. Of course it is a little heavy, around 25lbs I estimate, and adding a suspension fork to that will just make it worse and handle like crap too. I want to try riding a SS in a race this year, I'm a big guy and I love to mash the gears on my XC bike, so a SS would suit me good I think, for long slow climbs I think that they beat a geared bike hands down, the main advantage is the light weight and the solid drivetrain that doesn't lose alot of energy. Also I want to do the 24 hours of Adrenalin in Canmore this summer, I'm going to take all my bikes with me, but I will be starting out on the single speeds and then if I wear out close to the finish I will switch to my Trek hardtail. I'm a little partial to Cannondale anyway, I used to own a F1000 and it made me look like a champ offroad, 23lbs and nice tight geometry, unbeatable on tight single track and short steep climbs. Also my road bike is a Cannodale and it is also very light and fast as well, they just make you a better rider. The only downside is that they tend to be a bit pricey for the components you get. But I'll pay for the extra performance.
    get the 1FG ultra. it's nice and sounds like exactly what you seek.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    You are able to put 2.4 Mutanos on the back? I didn't think they would fit.

I've had my 1FG for about 9 months and really love it. It just feels fast and the head shock is awsome - no flex, smooth travel, and total lockout when you want it. The back end is stiff, but no more harsh than the Surly I used to have.
    yes the mutano 2.4 will fit. it will rub the chain stay a little when your grinding corners with 30 psi. I run mine with stans.

Zippy, the wonder bike
    Feb 2004
    I realize all you guys are saying, "it's not the bike, it's the rider" and all that, but why limit myself with a heavy bike? A fast rider on a heavy bike is an even faster rider on a light bike. I admit to being a bit of a weight weenie, on my XC bike I replaced nearly every bolt on it with Ti or aerospace aluminum fastners. I'm already thinking of some tweaks that I could do to that Cannondale to drop even more weight off it. I'm looking for something with regular spaced hubs on it too, otherwise I would build up a Alloy Monocog frame and slap a nice fork on it. But the Monocog is right now my favorite bike for commuting, running errands and training.

Master of the Obvious

wahh wahhh

I am not sure if you really get this single speed thing.
    I used to race an uber lite klein with all the trimmings( say $$)
    But I feel i am faster and a better rider on my 25lb Karate Monkey (rigid w/ discs)

President, CEO of Earth

stop whining

The whole idea behind casting off your derailleurs was to remove the complexity and focus more on the ride and not the bike. Yet here everyone is whining about "Oooh, the Karate Monkey is too heavy. My bike weighs 22 pounds and I want it to weigh 21-and-a-half. Whats the spoke with the best weight-to-thread count-to-diameter ratio?

Anybody remember the early nineties? John Tomac riding with that gawd-awful Tioga Tension Disc wheel? It weighed about 2 lbs more than a standard wheel, had a bunch of squishy feeling flex to it, and he still managed to win world cup races. All this complaining about "Which bike is better" is horrendous.

Your all just lucky that your mother doesn't know how you spend your time.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyNobody
    The whole idea behind casting off your derailleurs was to remove the complexity and focus more on the ride and not the bike. Yet here everyone is whining about "Oooh, the Karate Monkey is too heavy. My bike weighs 22 pounds and I want it to weigh 21-and-a-half. Whats the spoke with the best weight-to-thread count-to-diameter ratio?

Anybody remember the early nineties? John Tomac riding with that gawd-awful Tioga Tension Disc wheel? It weighed about 2 lbs more than a standard wheel, had a bunch of squishy feeling flex to it, and he still managed to win world cup races. All this complaining about "Which bike is better" is horrendous.

Your all just lucky that your mother doesn't know how you spend your time.
    when there are so many choices why settle for less since there's so much potential to make basically the same bike yet much lighter and more compliant allowing one to ride faster and longer since it's more efficient? In most peoples eyes that increases the fun factor significantly. Stick with your roadmaster and come ride with me and see how long ya last before something breaks or you quit because you can't drag the 30lb pos up yet another hill in only one gear.

President, CEO of Earth
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    when there are so many choices why settle for less since there's so much potential to make basically the same bike yet much lighter and more compliant allowing one to ride faster and longer since it's more efficient? In most peoples eyes that increases the fun factor significantly. Stick with your roadmaster and come ride with me and see how long ya last before something breaks or you quit because you can't drag the 30lb pos up yet another hill in only one gear.
    My point was this: The 2 lb difference is not a major factor. Yes, a 30lb roadmaster is gonna be a pig and break, but compare one quality SS to another quality SS and the 2lbs or 3 lbs means very little.

2.2lbs of weight (9.8 newtons) X 1600M climbing = 15.7KJ

Thats about 1/100th of a chocolate donut meaning that the energy from 1 donut will make up for carrying a bike thats almost 5 lbs heavier up forty miles of climbing. Thats a lot of weight when your talking about a bike, and thats a whole lot of climbing.

Most people simply would not notice the difference on the trail. The time and money some people spend agonizing to get a bike 1/2 lb lighter is, really, depressing. Go take a look at the 'Weight Weenies' forum to see this rediculous practice... "how many grams will I save by swapping my titanium brake-lever pivot for a carbon fibre one?"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast