Thread: What wheels?

mtbr member

What wheels?

You guys all ride different styles so i'm going to put this out to ya'll. I'm finished with my inbred build for the moment but i want to go ahead and find the next few parts so i know how much i need to start setting aside. Wheels and brakes are the next upgrade. I'm going to run 203/180 Shimano XT's but i don't know what wheels to even consider. I've done some looking at various sites and it's looking like a toss up between a few sets.

Azonic Outlaws $360
    SunRingle Black Flag Experts $500
    Crank Brother's Cobalt $585
    DT SWISS 240S $620
    Fulcrum Red Metal 3 $655
    Mavic Crossmax ST $735

This is going to be a ways down the road as the build drained the bank. Obviously i'd want the best i can afford but i don't want to spend money on the wrong set. I'm sitting at 245lbs and I ride everything from paved to bottoms to technical singletrack with some 2'-5' drops.

mtbr member
    Or something else entirely. I keep seeing Flows (?) and Stans with Hope hubs pop up but know nothing about either.

cowbell
    If you have drops (and ride them) of 2 to 5 feet, you'll want a stout set of hoops, laced up well to a good set of hubs. Debating wheels is a little like debating religion, so I typically just tell people what I think and leave it at that. I wanted something lighter on my SS than the boat anchors it came with, so I looked around, and got a recommendation for Pacenti TL-28's - they're strong, and light. I've beat mine about as hard as I can for 4 months since I put them on, and I've only just got the rear slightly out of true. I won't recommend a hub. I like my hubs, they weren't bank breakers, they're smooth, strong, well built, a little on the heavy side (I could have shelled out an extra $100 and saved a half pound on my hubs) but they engage well, and they're holding up. What I'm saying is, if you get good hoops, lace them to something reliable for a hub - I paid 5 bills for my wheelset, and it's the best thing I've done to this bike, they're basically bomb proof, they're nearly two pounds lighter than the stock wheels....no complaints.

local trails rider
    For 26" wheels, I've been really happy with Hope Singlespeed-Trials/Mavic Custom (semi-custom) wheels from
    MTB Custom Wheels

Prices are reasonable. Set your country and currency at the top of the page (taxes/customs to US are beyond their influence)
    Hopes are loud. Some love it, some hate it, some don't warry about it.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Save up and get Arch EX or Flows on Kings.

I got mine used in excellent condition here on mtbr for $600.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Where are you seeing DT Swiss 240s for 620 and with waht Rims, cant go wrong with their hubs for sure.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    HEMIjer the 240's are laced to the DT SWISS F630's and it's on amazon

mtbr member
    Okay so i went to chainreactioncycles (thank you perttime). I built up a pair of wheels with the ss/trials hope hub rear and hope front with the Nukeproof Generator AM rims. Total price is $460 shipped to my door. I've heard alot of good things from the rims and hubs i picked and from a quick glance at the weights and some high guessing on the spokes, nipples, ect i'm going to be under 4.5lbs for the set.

Thought's on that build?

local trails rider
    Most seem to find Hope hubs a good value. Did I mention that the rear is loud?
    All I know about Nukeproof Generator AM rims is that reviews seem positive, and they say it is not a lightweight rim.
    Don't get the lightest spokes. The lightest that they have are too thin for heavier guys who ride some rough spots too.
    (And I don't have a clue about nipples)

Chainreaction's custom wheels have been a great value for some years. Often better than equal Stock wheels.
    ... for all I know, other companies may have equally good deals.
    Will Customs add to your prize? It is possible, when you are not in EU.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    i love my ss specific hope rear hub. it is loud but you can only hear it if your not working! i also have the threaded version of the hub that i feel adds a little more rigidity to the rear instead of a 9mm qr. i dont know which one you ordered but if you dont take off the rear wheel much i suggest the bolts :-)

mtbr member
    I didnt see an option for a bolt axle only the qr. I was just going to convert when they got here.

local trails rider
    As far as I know, the Hope Singlespeed/Trials hub (narrow freehub body) comes with the bolt system, not QR. It is so in the pictures (linked from the Custom Wheels page).

Hope Pro 2 Evo Rear Hub - Single Speed/Trials | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

mtbr member

Re: What wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    As far as I know, the Hope Singlespeed/Trials hub (narrow freehub body) comes with the bolt system, not QR. It is so in the pictures (linked from the Custom Wheels page).

Hope Pro 2 Evo Rear Hub - Single Speed/Trials | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Yup. I own two.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Southern Afghanistan

Supervisor

Fred and Barney know how to kill HOOHAs

mtbr member
    ThickFog so that bolt set up will fit a standard 135mm spacing that currently has QR? I've never had this many options when it came to wheels and when i did i was able to put hands on them.

I don't think i'm going to go with Easton the reviews are all over the place and i'm consistently finding "spokes break" with riders who are under 200lbs and can't find anyone over that who has reviewed them. That and all of them agree their customer service is not very good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've never had any problems with my wheels and they have been to Iraq, Afghanistan and now East Africa.
    Southern Afghanistan

Supervisor

Fred and Barney know how to kill HOOHAs

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosCelt View Post
    so that bolt set up will fit a standard 135mm spacing that currently has QR?
    Yes.
    The spacing and axle size is the same as QR. (I have two with the older model Hope SS/Trials hubs)

mtbr member
    Then hopes/nukeproofs it is. My gf thinks i'm crazy "you just spent $700 on the bike now you want to spend another $800?" I just calmly point out it was that or another mustang.
    I greatly appreciate the help. Once i get the money set aside and parts ordered i'll post pics of them...might be awhile but i hope not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I built up a set of i23 hoops, dt swiss spokes, with hadley hubs SS specific. I can not say enough good things about them. My friend has a brand new CK set up hubs with stans crest rims. Its a nice set up to but I can out roll him all day long. Hadleys spin forever!

mtbr member
    Per lots of recommendations on here I just ordered a Stans Flow EX with a Hope hub and a 9mm thru bolt (don't want to upgrade my reba RLT yet...). Needed a new rim after I bent mine during the Whiskey race. I'd been pretty happy with my Mavic A317 and Origin 8 hub (I ride a steel origin 8 SS). The A317 actually was pretty durable with no issues over the last year and 32 spokes. I'm expecting a huge increase in strength and stiffness with the new set-up! The old set up was 1025 grams. New set up should be around 850grams. Then I anticipate another bit of savings going to tubeless.

It's always better when you can be lighter, stronger, and stiffer for less than $200.