Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006

What tires do you run? Post pics too.

Hey guys, so I'm about my 4th ride on my SS. I did a search on "tires" and I just got tired of looking for threads on this subject, so I thought I'd just start a new one and ask.

So the question is, what tires do you run? What I'm looking for is a good tire that has low rolling resistance, but also good traction for climbing out of the saddle. I guess these two qualities seem to almost contradict each other.

local trails rider
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph: 2.25 rear, 2.4 front
    - roll great, traction is predictable, they lose grip on loose and soft surfaces but give some warning first.
    - thin sidewalls are vulnerable. The reinforced versions tolerate sharpish objects better.
    - light enough

Continental Mountain King 2.4 SuperSonic
    - great "all conditions" tyre: not the best at anything but acceptable to very good at everything
    - light enough and haven't managed to damage mine where I have shredded some of the light Schwalbes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I like Continental Mountain King 2.4 SuperSonic more.

mtbr member
    I run CST Chicopee Comp tires. 26 x 2.1

Cheap, effective. Did I mention cheap? Like $7 each at my LBS. I would pony up and get some good tires if my local trail didn't have lovely little tire chewers like glass and barb wire.

Here --->https://www.ebikestop.com/cst_chicop...ead-TR3704.php
    Ne quid nimis.
    Nothing in excess.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Chalk another one up for the mountain king.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

aka baycat
    Mountain Kings are a great all around tire. While they hook up a lot better in the mud and wet around here, have had no qualms on the loose stuff to the rocky shiz.

On a set of Panaracer Rampages now and arleady miss the giant agressive knobs of the MK, but liking the faster rolling Rampages with a big casing.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Good review and picture of the MK tread HERE.

Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

trail hunter
    Apr 2008

Mountain Kings are great but..

they wear FAST. Right now I have a 2.4 Mtn King up front and a 2.2 Nevegal in the rear. Also the Mtn Kings seem narrower than they say, the nevegal seems just as wide as it.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Weight and rolling resistance are overrated.

Here is the 2.6" Nokian Gazz:
    Doublewide_Gazz.jpg
    My do-everything tire.

The way I see it, a SS has ONE gear, so don't wimp out on the rubber.

Tom P.

mtbr member
    Panaracer Fires 26 x 2.1 front and rear right now. Great all around tires that would generally fit your requirements.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Panracer Rampage 2.35 front and Bontrager Jones XR (desiganted front tire) 2.25 in the rear
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

I've been running the Maxxis Ignitors

Had these since last fall and very happy with them. Currently running them tubeless.

Photobucket

CB2
    Jam Econo
    I had been running Maxxis Crossmarks or Ignitors or a combination of both, and probably will continue on the HT racy type bike, but on the rigid I've been digging Nevegals.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by one piece crank
    Weight and rolling resistance are overrated.

Here is the 2.6" Nokian Gazz:
    Doublewide_Gazz.jpg
    My do-everything tire.

The way I see it, a SS has ONE gear, so don't wimp out on the rubber.

Tom P.

I think you uploaded a picture of your motocross bike by accident

OP: what width rims are you running? Be aware that you may not want to run some of the wider tires out there if you're using more of an 'XC' rim.

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661
    Good review and picture of the MK tread HERE.

I run WTB ExiWolf 26 X 2.3 tires on my fully rigid Bianchi M.U.S.S. They are light and fast. I run maybe 25psi in the rear and about 20psi in the front (both with tubes). A great all around tire for sandy and muddy conditions (which we have a lot of here). We have a lot of tight turns and berms here and I always felt Nevgals to be a bit “squirrelly” especially in turns. Other riders here commented on the same thing. I narrowed my upgrade down to the ExiWolfs, Ardents, and MKs. Both the ExiWolf & MKs have a great in-between tread that doesn’t require you lean as much for the tire to grip. The Ardents require a bit more lean to get the tries to fully bite.

I have a pair of MK 2.4 Supersonics on my SC Superlight and love those too. Side by side you can’t tell the MKs are any wider than the ExiWolf 2.3s.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    FRONT: IRC Mibro 2.25"
    REAR: Panaracer FireXC 2.1"

edit: pic addedd
    Last edited by whayong; 03-14-2009 at 10:18 PM.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Continental Race King 2.2 Supersonic front and rear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelman1
    Had these since last fall and very happy with them. Currently running them tubeless.

Photobucket
    I know way off topic but hows the drive train on that thing doin?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Panaracer Fire Xc pro front and rear for the SS in 26. Funny thing is I don't love em as much on the 5.5 inch geared bike. Don't ask me why, just don't know?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ridindog
    I know way off topic but hows the drive train on that thing doin?
    It's a belt drive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Drive train is great!

No problems what so ever Once you get the belt lined up properly it's good to go. I'm fortunate to live in Golden and the guys at the Golden Bike shop know how to get it dialed in just right. They actually now make a belt tensioner to make sure you are running the proper tension on the belt. It works pretty slick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I've had to stick with the MTB Weirwolf 2.55 because of their size. I'm not however that happy with it in dry, loose corners. Is there anything out there as big (in 29") that has a better tread pattern?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    +1 to the MTN Kings. Got em' on all my bikes.

Way off topic again, but that's the best Spot paint job I've seen yet(I'm jealous). I've got the gates/belt set up too. Once it's dialed in, it's smoooooooth sailing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Thanks, Spectrum did a great job on the paint

Pics don't do it justice. You can see more pics on spectrum's web site under the wet paint finishes Mark and Liz are great to work with, I will definitely have them do other frames for me in the future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Rampage front/Bontrager XDX rear. Both without tubes. They are working very well in the rocks and loose over hard crap every where I ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast