Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

What SS setup do you prefer?

At the moment, I'm running a vertical drop out frame with the Soulcraft Convert. So far, I haven't had any chain dropping, but I do notice that it does loosen after awhile. Not a problem yet, but I'd hate for that chain to finally drop during a race. In addition to that, I've also tried the Blackspire stinger which also worked OK, but was a hassle to adjust.

What do you guys think is the most reliable system out there? Running horizontal drop outs? WI Eno hub? EBB? Something else??

is buachail foighneach me
    Simplest and most reliable/versatile is horizontal 'dropouts' with a derailluer hanger built in(like on the Surly's). Sliders/swingers or a pinch bolt ebb will give a good combination of reliability, versatility and convenience.

As far as tensioners go, it's pretty hard to beat the DMR STS tensioner. Super simple, durable and fairly quiet.

mtbr member
    I have a strong preference for sliders.
    It's a bit time consuming to set them up but they are reliable.

EBB is anathema for me. Slips and creaks, creaks creaks....
    Yes, split shell might work well, but I don't like the fact I every time I tweak the EBB it changes my BB angle in relation to the seat.

If I did a Ti with Black Sheep, I would try their HACS. Seems simple, easy and reliable. In conjunction with a removable sleeve above the seatstay bridge you could have for "free" a collapsable bike (to writ, S&S suitcase...).

Don't blast me -- IMO...
    Last edited by Climber999; 10-24-2010 at 11:08 PM.

meatier showers
    I've got 2 SS bikes, one with horizontal 'dropouts' and one with a split-shell EBB. Much prefer vertical dropouts to horizontals. I'm tall enough that I don't notice the change in seat angle whenever I adjust the EBB. Mine is silent and slip-free. I'd feel different if this wasn't the case.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Ovaries on the Outside
    I have sliders and have had lots and lots of bikes with track drop outs. The sliders have been fantastic. They are a pain in the ass to adjust, and if you do that a lot, forget about them.

Track (hos?) are probably my favorite all around. If you take the rear wheel off often they take a little time to dial in, but otherwise dingles, switching cogs, wheels and chainrings is a relative breeze.

Spud State Rider
    EBB has worked great for me so far. No movement and quiet. Hoping it stays that way!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I don't like sliders since they tend to slip and creak. I don't like horizontal drop outs because they're annoying when you want to remove the wheel. I don't like bolt on tensioners because they're a pain when removing the wheel and look awkward. I don't like EBBs because they slip and creak. Currently my list of favorite and most reliable are:

1. FC EBB - It uses an excellent tightening system and doesn't creak or slip. It lets me use vertical drop outs. Set and forget.
    2. White Eno Eccentric hub - It works very well and doesn't slip. My biggest issue is having to re-tension the chain whenever I remove the rear wheel.
    3. bolt on rigid tensioner (Rennen Rollenlager or DMR STS) - Looks awkward and makes removing the wheel annoying, but they work well and I can still use vertical drop outs.

WNC Native
    Not totally trying to hijack the thread, but I'm getting ready to build a custom steel frame that will be SS primarily. It will POSSIBLY see some time as a 1x9 until I get a second bike built up.

I'm torn between going with sliders, or vertical dropouts and an ISCG tab mounted Blackspire Stinger setup. I'm not sure how much adjustment the Blackspire has as far as swapping out cogs either though. I'll be swapping from 18-22T depending on locations.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    I have formed the opinion that this is the one single weakness with the entire single-speed movement - the mechanicals. Once you eliminate the dérailleur, you now have to come up with some new/different means of keeping the chain tight, and each approach has it's pros and cons.

EBBs slip and creak, horizontal DOs need chain tugs, and are hard to use with QRs, bolt-on hubs are a PITA, chain tensioners don't always work right, etc.

Personally, I try to stick with "standard" solutions as much as possible, that way it's easier to buy/sell stuff used. IE it's easier to buy ans sell wheels with geared freehubs rather than SS specific.

PS - swapping 18 - 22t; you might try using a geared freehub with the gearclamp - that way you can change it in the field using an allen wrench. I haven't used them but maybe someone on here has and can comment on their effectiveness. It doesn't solve the chain tension problem but at least you don't need to carry a freewheel tool and chain whip to swap cogs.
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 10-25-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Property Inspections
    I like my sliding drop out. Never moves and I am pretty rough on the bike as well. My second choice is horizontal dropouts. Never tried anything else and I don't like the look of tensioners.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog
    PS - swapping 18 - 22t; you might try using a geared freehub with the gearclamp - that way you can change it in the field using an allen wrench. I haven't used them but maybe someone on here has and can comment on their effectiveness. It doesn't solve the chain tension problem but at least you don't need to carry a freewheel tool and chain whip to swap cogs.
    Those do look like a great idea, I've been meaning to pick one up to try out. I doubt I'll be changing any cogs on the trail, but that looks like a great way to make the change in the garage a lot easier.

PS- I'll more than likely just go with the sliders
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky
    Those do look like a great idea, I've been meaning to pick one up to try out. I doubt I'll be changing any cogs on the trail, but that looks like a great way to make the change in the garage a lot easier.

PS- I'll more than likely just go with the sliders
    i cant imagine they keep your cog from moving around, which wont be good for your freehub body, especially if it's aluminum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    i cant imagine they keep your cog from moving around, which wont be good for your freehub body, especially if it's aluminum.
    Or worse, if they slip loose under pedalling load, allowing the cog to tweak sideways, totally destroying the freehub. But, that is only speculation. I'd really like to see a review/trial of the product.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ive had track ends, sliders and recently I checked out the swinging style drops on the Salsa, I must say they seem to operate very smoothly and look nicer that slides. I've also heard good things about split shell ebb's so my choice would be either swinger style or split shell ebb.

mtbr member
    my perfect SS frame would have a "split-shell" or "pinch bolt" EBB. We know pinch bolts work well for stems, handlebars, seatposts, etc so I have faith the the same should be true for pinch bolts on EBBs, especially given the nearly universal good reviews from people that have had such frames.

my track ends are dead reliable once I set bolt them down, but dialing them in and even just getting the wheel in can be fiddly enough to be annoying

mtbr member
    I have used phil wood ebb,kona sliders,vassago horizontals and paragon sliders. I have no issues with either set up, but as far as ease of set up and adjustments I always thought vassagos style was the way to go with the ebb a close second.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    my perfect SS frame would have a "split-shell" or "pinch bolt" EBB. We know pinch bolts work well for stems, handlebars, seatposts, etc so I have faith the the same should be true for pinch bolts on EBBs, especially given the nearly universal good reviews from people that have had such frames.

my track ends are dead reliable once I set bolt them down, but dialing them in and even just getting the wheel in can be fiddly enough to be annoying
    I wonder why they are only on 2 frames? I know of Specialized and Blackbuck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog
    I wonder why they are only on 2 frames? I know of Specialized and Blackbuck
    Raleigh switched over a year or two ago too. I think it has as much or more to do with tradition than anything else.

mtbr member
    The 2011 Raleigh XXIX is now using a Gates Belt Drive. Meh

master blaster
    ive mostly used vertical dropouts with an ebb but ive been enjoying the simplicity of track dropouts on my new bike.
    i havent had any issues with either.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    ive mostly used vertical dropouts with an ebb but ive been enjoying the simplicity of track dropouts on my new bike.
    i havent had any issues with either.
    Yeahbutt... you're willing to put up with belt drive, too. Just sayin'.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

--sParty
    haha id definatly give it a shot

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus

--sParty
    you actually have the wrong Velo guy. This guy (Brian) only has chains and HBC cogs/chainrings

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    you actually have the wrong Velo guy. This guy (Brian) only has chains and HBC cogs/chainrings
    Oops... my bad. Sorry Wrong Velo Guy.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Track dropouts w/ bolt on hub. Take 30 seconds to set it up right and you'll never have to fuss with it. How often do you remove the rear wheel anyway?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast