mtbr member

What skewers for Surly Tugnut?

Tried a couple of different skewers on the surly chain tensioner with the QR adapter washer. Too short, stripping the threads due to not enough engagement. Need longer skewers. What to use?

mtbr member
    one of my SS 135mm dropout has a phil wood wheel nice bolts that don't require tugnuts.

another is a 135mm dropout with surly tugnuts and a shimano xt wheel with what i think is a shimano skewer. not issues with length or operation.

but i'm not using a washer, is it necessary? two places to use the skewer through the tugnut, neither seems to require a washer.

mtbr member
    I've used Shimano XT, Novatec, and Halo Hex with success on my Inbred with a Tugnut and even with Homebrewed tugs on both side. Since I haven't had a problem with mine, I'm guess thicker dropouts could be the problem here

I know Halo makes an XL version of their Hex skewers as well as QR skewers called Porkies that are both for thicker dropouts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cygnus
    i'm not using a washer, is it necessary? two places to use the skewer through the tugnut, neither seems to require a washer.
    I am referring to the QR adapter washer that came with the Tuggnut. I figured they would not include it if you didn't need to use it:

mtbr member
    +1 on the Halo Hex.....I used em on my 1x1 with the Tuggnut and they worked great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    On your Nashbar frame I take it? I think the dropouts are too thick. I gave up on the QR idea once I parked it next to my geared bike and saw the obvious difference.
    I checked out some stuff and came to realize that I'd do a wheelset with a Shimano hub (loose ball) and replace QR with a conversion axle back to nutted for the wheel upgrade on this particular frame. In reality, it makes for a betterer ,stiffer bike. I've patched a flat on mine without removing the wheel and it worked swell .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog
    I am referring to the QR adapter washer that came with the Tuggnut. I figured they would not include it if you didn't need to use it:

i don't use the washer with surly tugnuts on either my SS mtb or SS road bike.

Twin Six METAL Team
    I use Salsa skewers with the Tuggnut on my Jamis Exile SS, and haven't had any issues.