Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

what size seatpost for '04 Unit/Explosif?

please tell me it's 27.2. TIA.
    [size=1][/size]

semi-evolved simian
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    Yep, 27.2 according to the Kona 2004 tech specs. They finally went to a normal size from their weird 27.0 of previous years.

Fight the Kakistocracy!

It's 72.7, no wait

I am numerically dyslexic, it is 27.2. Originally I, and my lbs thought that it was the Kona "standard" 27.0. MinesAPint checked his and it was 27.2, which caused me to check mine, and a 27.2 went in nicely, and little snug, but nothing odd about it. I did run it with a 27.0 for a little while, it would have worked, it made it a little difficult to get a 27.2 in initially due to the top of the seat tube being clamped down, but all is fine now. I love the way it rides, and once the paint chews up a little at the dropout, there should be no slipping. Mine slipped a minor bit. The big drawback to mine is the paint sucks, a little thin in spots, and chips easily if you ride in rocky, gravelly areas such as I do in the desert southwest. I will just get a nice powdercoat at some point. If you go with the exploSSif, you keep the options of the gears if necessary, and I liked the blue better. Email or PM me if you have any specific questions.

veelz
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

thankSS, guys

i'm thinking about either the unit or the exploSSif as a replacement frame for my DiSS. i appreciate your input!

what sizes did you get? i'm 6'1" w/ 34" inseam, and was thining either a 19 or 20.

minesapint, thanks for the RTFM notice! ;-) i swear, i looked!
    [size=1][/size]

semi-evolved simian
    i'm thinking about either the unit or the exploSSif as a replacement frame for my DiSS. i appreciate your input!

what sizes did you get? i'm 6'1" w/ 34" inseam, and was thining either a 19 or 20.

minesapint, thanks for the RTFM notice! ;-) i swear, i looked!
    I would say either a 19 or 20 would suit you. I'm the same size and find the 20 to be almost too large... I do prefer having a longer top tube though and that's why I went with the 20 over the 19. I'd also heard that Kona were having problems with oversize headtubes on the 19s so that was another factor... I wasn't able to try before I bought but I did manage to ride some other hardtail Konas. Overall I'm happy with the 20, but I think I would have been just as happy with the 19.

semi-evolved simian
    Quote Originally Posted by veelz
    The big drawback to mine is the paint sucks, a little thin in spots, and chips easily if you ride in rocky, gravelly areas such as I do in the desert southwest. I will just get a nice powdercoat at some point.
    Mine too... I've got many chips and some in really odd places like the top of the BB shell. I went to the Kona store and the guy there said "Oh yeah that's normal. Who cares what it looks like, get out and ride and quit your *****ing." Well, I care what it looks like, particularly since it's a steel frame. Whatever.

I'll probably do the same and get a powdercoat when all the original paint has fallen off. Any idea how much a good quality job would cost ? Do you normally remove fork,headset,BB etc. yourself ?
    Last edited by Mine'sAPint; 01-15-2004 at 11:22 AM.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

powdercoating

Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    Any idea how much a good quality job would cost ? Do you normally remove fork,headset,BB etc. yourself ?
    i had a frame done last summer by olympic powdercoaters in santa ana, ca. the path arranged it for me, for a $10 fee they transported the frame to and from and removed/installed the headset. i don't have a headset press or removal tool or i would have done it, but the convenience of dropping it off & picking it up at the shop was well worth it.

i think for gloss black i had done the charge was about $50. if i go with one of the konas i'll start off with a metallic color and a clearcoat, which will cost about $80. the gloss black they did before was perfect, and seems very durable. olympic used to pc for GT on the locally made bikes, before The End.

if you do need a powdercoat, i highly recommend olympic, and the path can help you out with that.
    [size=1][/size]

I am Doctor Remulak

Hope you're not in a hurry...

According to my LBS, there won't be any Explosif frames available until April. I tried to order one on Monday, but had to settle for the Unit instead (and Kona only had a couple at the time). I have no patience.

Mike

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

if you really want an exploSSif

try the path in tustin, california. they have them in stock - i've seen them, even fondled a few....

www.thepathbikeshop.com
    [size=1][/size]

Fight the Kakistocracy!

yep

Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    Mine too... I've got many chips and some in really odd places like the top of the BB shell. I went to the Kona store and the guy there said "Oh yeah that's normal. Who cares what it looks like, get out and ride and quit your *****ing." Well, I care what it looks like, particularly since it's a steel frame. Whatever.

I'll probably do the same and get a powdercoat when all the original paint has fallen off. Any idea how much a good quality job would cost ? Do you normally remove fork,headset,BB etc. yourself ?
    I do everything myself, I have a friend that has a headset press. Everything needs to come off for the powdercoater. When it comes back, you should check the threads and the headtube to make sure that there is no build up of powder, I have access to chasing tools and facing tools, so it is not of any concern for moi. I think one concern for the sliding dropout frames would be biuld up of powder or paint along the track of the dropouts. I have a feeling that mine will need it in a year or so.

veelz
    veelz

Gravity, not just a good idea, it's a law.
    The only one consistently and constantly applied, no exceptions.