Thread: What Pedals?

Stock, but with upgrades.

What Pedals?

Are you clipless or not?

What type of pedals do you use for SS?
    Nashbar 650b SS; Cannondale F29; Kona Kikapu Deluxe Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er; BMX Viper; Pansonic DX-1000

mtbr member
    I use Crank Bros Mallet pedals...clipless but still able to ride down to the store in my street shoes.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had my feet replaced with pegs 3yrs ago. Best decision I ever made!

mtbr member
    Egg Beaters with eBay titanium spindles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    SPD's. I'd like to get a set of XT/XTR trail pedals next, to assist on some tech sections.

veinte nueve pulgadas
    XTs.

I used to favor Times, but the cleats are good for ~6months. Shimano had mud/crud shedding problems years ago, which moved me to Time. These days, Shimano is perfect for me. Cleats last forever. Engagement is great. They shed well.

Two of my 200lbs+ friends have destroyed Crank Bros pedals. None for me, at 192.5lbs.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Alot of my riding friends with 30-40 years of riding experience, and some very advanced technical riders, have switched to new platform pedals with proper sticky shoes. They use these for singlespeed too. I am amazed, but do not have the $ to try. If starting out, I would try platform with purpose shoes. I ride TIME (broke 2 Eggbeater sets). Yes, the TIME cleats are a never ending investment.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've been running Eggbeaters forever. I love them, I don't care what the naysayers say. To me platforms only make sense if you are spending lots of time in the jump park and sometimes ditch your bike in midair. The only time clipless is a problem for me is when I stall out on a technical climb and can't unclip as the bike falls over. Never been a problem if the crash happens at any speed above zero.

Stock, but with upgrades.
    I ran spd pedals from day one. I got really used to them but I sold a bike with my pedals. I had some eb laying around so I put them on the new bike...the engagement feels very different and my shoes move around on the pedal.

Learning curve I guess
    Nashbar 650b SS; Cannondale F29; Kona Kikapu Deluxe Diamondback Overdrive Sport 29er; BMX Viper; Pansonic DX-1000

mtbr member
    I have always ridden Time's and been happy with ease of getting in and out, etc. Some issues with durability...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    LOOK Quartz, have them on my SS, FS, Commuter bikes. Light, sheds mud, can find new on eBay for under $50

The perfessor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    I use Crank Bros Mallet pedals...clipless but still able to ride down to the store in my street shoes.
    Awesome pedals - I got two sets of Mallet 3's for the price of one, and they're lighter than the old Shimano SPDs............
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    When I was riding a SS, used Shimano/shimano knock-offs. Sometimes I wished I had platforms on it to fart around.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT