mtbr member

What, no "Hollywood" ride report?

Buncha SoCal MTBR peeps representin' at the Tour De Palm springs last Saturday. Figured someone who could actually *remember* all the names (and took pictures) woulda posted by now.

They must all have lives or sumthin' .

Flyin' the fixie flag were Aosty, Hollywood, Andy aka Rut, Calvin (not sure of his mtbr handle), Donkey, and myself. Have I forgotten anyone? If so, mucho apologies.

Padre was also there, with gears <boo> <hiss>. Hugh and his sister (Who's name I've forgotten, but I seem to remember her being referred to as "Char"? Charlene perhaps?.) we're rockin' the Ventana tandem. In addition to the above named riders were a whole crew of the OC/Warriors Society contingent, mostly on gears.. Must be why I can't remember the rest of the names .

The weather and winds cooperated, and aside from nearly spinning our legs off on a couple of the dowhillls (How many rpm is 33mph on a 42x16?) the route was pretty fixie-friendly.

A good time was had by all.

-Trevor

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    Buncha SoCal MTBR peeps representin' at the Tour De Palm springs last Saturday. Figured someone who could actually *remember* all the names (and took pictures) woulda posted by now.
    They must all have lives or sumthin' .
    Flyin' the fixie flag were Aosty, Hollywood, Andy aka Rut, Calvin (not sure of his mtbr handle), Donkey, and myself. Have I forgotten anyone? If so, mucho apologies.
    Padre was also there, with gears <boo> <hiss>. Hugh and his sister (Who's name I've forgotten, but I seem to remember her being referred to as "Char"? Charlene perhaps?.) we're rockin' the Ventana tandem. In addition to the above named riders were a whole crew of the OC/Warriors Society contingent, mostly on gears.. Must be why I can't remember the rest of the names .
    The weather and winds cooperated, and aside from nearly spinning our legs off on a couple of the dowhillls (How many rpm is 33mph on a 42x16?) the route was pretty fixie-friendly.
    A good time was had by all.
    -Trevor
    Hey now! I've been thinking the same thing.
    Calvin doesn't have an mtbr handle (that we know of) instead, he chooses to lurk silently in the shadows, taking note of our every move, and adjusting his according. He's like a ninja without the throwing stars.
    You probably heard Hugh's sister called "tash."
    And let's clear something up....I'd gladly ride fixed if one existed near my size! I was lucky just to be there on a road bike!
    Speaking of spinning your legs off...no kidding! I was amazed to see that you guys on the fixies were keeping up on the downhills incredibly well. I had to push above 30mph for a while to drop you. I guess next year you'll have to go 48x16, eh?
    Great riding with you Trevor.
    p.s. a 1x1girl/fixie union is on the horizon....

34N 118W

fotos

Not much to report, other than "pedal for 100 miles, then eat."

there are some pics to go with your report over on the SoCal board. Linkage here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...68210#poststop

Mostly starting line pics, then put the camera away for the majority of the ride. I almost traded my camera for a ride back in some guys pickup, but toughed it out instead, with Spongebob as my inspiration.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Mr. Britannica"
    you're gonna have to change your use title

34N 118W
    done

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    you're gonna have to change your use title

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    Not much to report, other than "pedal for 100 miles, then eat."

there are some pics to go with your report over on the SoCal board. Linkage here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...68210#poststop

Mostly starting line pics, then put the camera away for the majority of the ride. I almost traded my camera for a ride back in some guys pickup, but toughed it out instead, with Spongebob as my inspiration.

did spongbob make it all the way to the end?? Looked to me like he was driving you nuts.
    Jim S.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    done
    Whaaaat?
    When did you and bulC split up?
    Did he break up with you, or you with him?
    Are you guys still talking? Tell! Tell! Tell!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bulc isn't playing anymore

He's taking his bikes and going home
    may Dog strike me dead...

34N 118W

... and if we just ... yep

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    May Dog strike me dead. ...if I ever post, or visit, this place again. Thanks to the likes of Jm, radair, lidarman, and a few others, I no longer find sharing my cycling knowledge here enjoyable. I do not suffer fools gladly. And I will not stay around to be called a liar. I hope I was able to help some of you with your cycling-related questions.
    that b1tch left me high & dry with a full dirty clothes hamper and an empty 'fridge. And Wednesday was his day to do laundry - figures. He also took all of the microbrew and left me with our cockatoo bird we named "Nancy Boy". His 17 bikes are gone and I'm left with some busted apart cassettes and an old black and white photo of John, er bulC teaching Einstein how to ride (that famous photo of Al riding was taken just as bulC stepped out of the shot).

My therapist says he's a looser, and I can do better.

HW

"Mr. Britannica"
    that b1tch left me high & dry with a full dirty clothes hamper and an empty 'fridge. And Wednesday was his day to do laundry - figures. He also took all of the microbrew and left me with our cockatoo bird we named "Nancy Boy". His 17 bikes are gone and I'm left with some busted apart cassettes and an old black and white photo of John, er bulC teaching Einstein how to ride (that famous photo of Al riding was taken just as bulC stepped out of the shot).

My therapist says he's a looser, and I can do better.

HW

I woulda figured bulC for a PBR man. Methinks he really left cuz he got outed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel
    Whatever boys.

You ought to look up bulC, whose real name is John Kukoda, when you get to Durango sometime and let him show you how he rides.......But I guess if you don't know who Hank Barlow is the chances are good you wouldn't recognise his name either.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/moab-rim-chairlift-done-76834-post666812.html

mtbr member
    Found a few pictures...
    1st one is of the "faster" fixie few. I only say "faster" because we were not nice as others and decided not to wait for their friends. :-( TrevinSoCal, Donkey and some fast guy.
    The 2nd is of course of Hugh helping out one of the ladies.
    The 3rd is of the infamous Calvin riding his fixie on the 100mile course. We like to protect his image!

andy
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

mtbr member

not fair

man, thats not fair how you guys get good weather most of the time, its 10 here in nebraska, i think its going to be warmer tomorrow so i will probably ride to work.... we have this to look foward to this friday night.. pure sweet hell there will probably be alot of folks who ride down for this, i think its going to be 30-40 on friday, might have to get out the shorts.... if i get any pics i will share them...

scott

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottms33
    man, thats not fair how you guys get good weather most of the time, its 10 here in nebraska,
    scott
    Scott,
    Not to be rude, but that is the reason we live out here. Unfortunately we do have to put up with most every idiot around, super expensive housing and tons of traffic, but we get to play year round!

andy
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

paintbucket
    Wildfires, mudslides, smog....
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member

Good job! yep

i hear ya andy, we can play all year round here too but you have to put on a bunch of layers and lobster gloves.... here is a pic of our buddy jeff heading to work one day in january....

scott

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Wildfires, mudslides, smog....
    Ha....
    I'll take a few scattered fires...a ten year storm...and a little smog...over 6 months of not riding every year...every time!

Not because I'm fast.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Ha....
    I'll take a few scattered fires...a ten year storm...and a little smog...over 6 months of not riding every year...every time!
    ...and $475,000 for a townhome, bumper to bumper traffic at 8:00am on Sunday, the fat hookers on Harbor Boulevard, getting called for jury duty 15 times a year, and the polluted ocean that gives you a sinus infection every time you surf a local break. Gosh I miss southern California

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    ...and $475,000 for a townhome, bumper to bumper traffic at 8:00am on Sunday, the fat hookers on Harbor Boulevard, getting called for jury duty 15 times a year, and the polluted ocean that gives you a sinus infection every time you surf a local break. Gosh I miss southern California
    The fat hookers are "culture."
    I've only been called for jury duty once in the 11 years since turning 18.
    I don't surf after it rains a few days and I can't remember ever getting sick from the water.
    8am traffic sucks...but, I rode tonight....I rode yesterday...I rode Monday...I rode Saturday.....

edit: if I were to move..so. Utah might have my nod...

Where's Toto?
    Gotta love the wood fenders...