Thread: What do I do?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

What do I do?

So I bought my first single speed about 6 months ago. It is an Origin8 Scout29. I am running it full rigid with the Origin8 Carbon Fork. Unfortunately, as much as I love riding a rigid single speed 29er,it seems like this bike has different troubles with every ride.

1. Front crappy mechanical discs had to be replaced with BB7s
    2. Now the rear crappy mechanicals (Hayes G2) are going out need to be replaced. The bike hardly stops at all and it sucks on the downhill

I wanted to change the brakes to V-brakes (which I have two sets of Avid Single Digit7 already) but the brake mounting posts are not on the frame or the fork. So these are sitting on the shelf unused.

3. Wheel was out of true and broke a spoke- Fixed

4. Bottom bracket squeaks- Will be replaced

5. Tons of chainline issues- and a crappy chain. Adjusted and new chain will happen this week

6. Headset kept coming loose over and over. Replaced star nut and really cranked the stem.

7. Seat post squeaked- cleaned it out and covered opening on back of seat post mount with electrical tape

8. Now the rear hub is starting to squeak. I think it just needs to be cleaned out and re-greased.

Anyways, I know none of these are major issues, but it's very annoying to go out and ride this bike and something go wrong every single time. My geared, suspended hardtail is MUCH more reliable than this bike (which is ironic because SS is supposed to be reliable.)

So I have two possible options.

1. Sell this frame and fork. It's the carbon fork so I will probably do OK on it. I am thinking maybe $225 for the frame and fork.

2. Buy a Karate monkey frame. Put the new v-brakes I already have, the new BB, new chain, current cranks, stem and bars, and the current wheels.

I think if I get the KM frame for around $425 that would put me out $200 or so for that, plus $40-50 for a new seatpost since they are different sizes. So for $250 I have the frame I originally wanted, and have replaced every part that has/would give me problems except the wheels. But I could stretch these out for a year or so until I can upgrade them.

The other option is that I have a buddy with a 1x1 (same guy that helped me build my wife's 1x1) that I might be able to buy for what I could get the for Origin8 as a complete bike. Just not sure on the 26ers.

Does the first option sound stupid, or should I just sell the Origin8 as a whole bike and start fresh (no bad Origin8 ju-ju) on the KM?

I am leaning towards option 1 since I will have replaced all the parts that give me grief and it will cost significantly less.

Dammit I just wanna ride. That's why I love SS so much but I am always fixing crap. And whenever I am not I am constantly worried about something breaking and having to be fixed. Ruins the SS "high".

SSOD
    That blows your having so many issues. Don't know which option I'd do but I have found that buying quality stuff goes a long way. Not inferring anything on your stuff, just have had similar problems with previous ss bikes and gradually picked up used higher end stuff that is made to last a long time and minor problems have seen to stay away with regular maintenance and cleaning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosstown Stew
    That blows your having so many issues. Don't know which option I'd do but I have found that buying quality stuff goes a long way. Not inferring anything on your stuff, just have had similar problems with previous ss bikes and gradually picked up used higher end stuff that is made to last a long time and minor problems have seen to stay away with regular maintenance and cleaning.
    That's kind of my plan. If I swap my new parts to the KM with the wheels and crankset from this bike all the parts will now be fairly high end except the wheels. But they are true, will have new hub grease, and I figure they will be replaced with higher end wheels as money allows.

Everything is already high quality on the 1x1 I am looking at, but not sure it's for sale and not sure I want 26" wheels even if it is...

Apr 2007
    First, I highly doubt you're going to get $225 for your O8 frame set. Maybe $150? It's not a highly sought after frame. Second, SS aren't reliable because they're SS. They're reliable if they've got quality parts. Putting crap components on a bike (ss or geared) means they're more prone to failure. People ASSUME ss is more reliable due to less moving parts. That's correct in that there is a little more maintenance that needs to be done, but again, use quality parts and I feel the difference is minuscule.

If I were in your position, I'd dump the O8 as a complete bike (sunk cost) and buy/build a new bike. You will find some good deals on the classifieds here or maybe local CL.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I agree that $225 is probably high for the frame, but I have already had offers for the carbon fork of $150... which means I just $50-75 for the frame to make the $225...

Other than that, I agree with everything you have said. I bought this bike used and the components *were* decent at one point. I just think the previous owner might not have maintained them very well.

We'll see how this pans out I suppose.

Apr 2007
    Oh, forgot about the fork. Ok, you may be right, then. But I still think you might get the most out of the bike selling it whole. I built up my Vassago earlier thus year and instead of scavenging parts off of my Monocog, I just decided to stretch my budget a little and buy decent parts that will last. I then sold the MC for a good price since it was collecting dust.

I'm happy with my decision so far.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Don't let those Single Digit's sit on the shelf...I know a nice SS those would fit perfectly
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_134
    Don't let those Single Digit's sit on the shelf...I know a nice SS those would fit perfectly
    HA! If I part it out you can have the disc brakes. They're real awesome. HAHAHA

p nut- Good point. Jabberwocky is the other frame I am thinking of. Sweet bike!

Man up
    Sep 2010
    I just wouldn't want them to waste away on your shelf...this is all in YOUR best interests. I know my BB7's are going to sit on my shelf forever because it's going to take me forever to justify buying a new front wheel just so I can use the brakes...

As for the topic- it's all about the money. If you have the money to upgrade, do it. If not, ride the snot out of it and upgrade as things break/piss you off.
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

Apr 2007
    I love my Jabber. That said, if I could go back in time, I MIGHT order the Qball frame instead. In fact, now that my plans for a 650b build this winter's been punched in the mouth due to Soul Cycles halting production on the Hooligan, I may end up building up another 29er instead. If I do, I'll be giving Scottie Q a call.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214
    HA! If I part it out you can have the disc brakes. They're real awesome. HAHAHA
    You're giving me the BB7's off the front? Sounds good.

Have you gotten your KM frame yet?
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    OP- are you a big rider? your weight might be a factor in how long a bike holds up. also, the components that come on most complete bikes are junk. they keep the total cost of the bike down. I assume that anyone who is going to put some serious miles on any bike in the low-to-mid price range is going to replace a lot of the parts within a year. if you don't want to do that, do a full custom build from the beginning or buy the most high-end bike you can.

1+2 i have been able to get even the crappiest disc brakes to work great. it all comes down to mechanical skillz. the problem with crappy disc brakes is that they are difficult to dial in and they come out of adjustment easily. that's why i switched to BB7s: ease of use and consistency. if you're using bb7's now and you can't get them dialed in, that's a user error problem, not the equipment's problem. just sayin.

3. riding any bicycle will do this to wheels. if you're a skilled wheelsmith and use good spokes, lube the nipples, and keep the tension even, they will treat you well.

4+6 the headsets and bottom brackets that come with most complete bikes are junk. i replaced the HS on my Monocog immediately with a King because i don't trust anything else.

5 chainline issues are one of those things that should be a given with any single-speed bike. who assembled the bike when you got it? LBS or you?

7. did you grease the inside of the seat tube before you put the post in there?

8. rear hub- that will happen to any hub. all hubs need maintenance. even King hubs, duh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_134
    You're giving me the BB7's off the front? Sounds good.

Have you gotten your KM frame yet?
    Jesse
    Bought the frame and fork used on here from a member. PMed you about the BB7s...

Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    OP- are you a big rider? your weight might be a factor in how long a bike holds up. also, the components that come on most complete bikes are junk. they keep the total cost of the bike down. I assume that anyone who is going to put some serious miles on any bike in the low-to-mid price range is going to replace a lot of the parts within a year. if you don't want to do that, do a full custom build from the beginning or buy the most high-end bike you can.

1+2 i have been able to get even the crappiest disc brakes to work great. it all comes down to mechanical skillz. the problem with crappy disc brakes is that they are difficult to dial in and they come out of adjustment easily. that's why i switched to BB7s: ease of use and consistency. if you're using bb7's now and you can't get them dialed in, that's a user error problem, not the equipment's problem. just sayin.

3. riding any bicycle will do this to wheels. if you're a skilled wheelsmith and use good spokes, lube the nipples, and keep the tension even, they will treat you well.

4+6 the headsets and bottom brackets that come with most complete bikes are junk. i replaced the HS on my Monocog immediately with a King because i don't trust anything else.

5 chainline issues are one of those things that should be a given with any single-speed bike. who assembled the bike when you got it? LBS or you?

7. did you grease the inside of the seat tube before you put the post in there?

8. rear hub- that will happen to any hub. all hubs need maintenance. even King hubs, duh.
    1. Not a big guy (about 180 pounds)

2. BB7s aren't the problem. Of course these are easy... it was the older Hayes G2 that I couldn't get dialed in easily. They don't have as much adjustment. (And weren't installed by me)

3. I am not a skilled wheelsmith, but I am servicing the rear hub this week. Probably the front to since I am here.

4-6. Getting new bottom bracket and headset for the new bike. Looking at the Kings.

5. LBS assembled bike. I have different spacers now for the rear and will assure new chain (NOT an 1/8" BMX chain like I had on this bike) will be straight

7. Didn't grease seat tube first, but did after was having problems.

8. See #3.

Basically, I agree with everything you have said.