Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    DSR
    DSR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,056

    What a difference 5mm makes!

    I had an old set of Stylo 180s lying around that I finally got around to putting on my SS replacing a Stylo 175 set. Man, what a difference! I swapped them more because the 175s were older and creaky, but the 180s do help alot on the big climbs. Allows you to slow down the pace a bit in order to recover some on big sustained climbs. Also nice in the techy sections. And I only banged my pedal once on a fairly rocky and techy trail. Anyway, just an observation in case anyone was thinking 180s would be cool but wondered how much of a difference they'd really make. BTW, also worked some other bugs out of the old SS last night and it ran like a dream tonight. Total blast. Feeling a little happier now with it as my only mtb. S

  2. #2
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    I had an old set of Stylo 180s lying around that I finally got around to putting on my SS replacing a Stylo 175 set. Man, what a difference! I swapped them more because the 175s were older and creaky, but the 180s do help alot on the big climbs. Allows you to slow down the pace a bit in order to recover some on big sustained climbs. Also nice in the techy sections. And I only banged my pedal once on a fairly rocky and techy trail. Anyway, just an observation in case anyone was thinking 180s would be cool but wondered how much of a difference they'd really make. BTW, also worked some other bugs out of the old SS last night and it ran like a dream tonight. Total blast. Feeling a little happier now with it as my only mtb. S
    Cool! I don't notice much difference between 175 - 180 on my geared bikes, but 180's make all the difference on my ss. Makes me wonder about 185. Hmmmm

  3. #3
    Birdman aka JMJ
    Reputation: Birdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    938

    Thinking about 185's as well

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Cool! I don't notice much difference between 175 - 180 on my geared bikes, but 180's make all the difference on my ss. Makes me wonder about 185. Hmmmm
    I've been running 180mm cranks on my geared bikes for years, and naturally chose 180's for my entry into the SS world. I'd have liked to have found 185mm cranks, but wanted to keep costs down. The 180's are great on the SS.

    JMJ

  4. #4
    JAK
    JAK is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    532

    I Hear That!! 5mm +...

    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    Total blast. Feeling a little happier now with it as my only mtb. S
    I was at a buddy's place the other night and noticed a bunch of 185-190mm cranks in a BMX catalog...mainly square taper or custom style BBs, anybody out there try anything similar? Heavy? I'll have to get the name of the catalog for reference...

    adios
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

  5. #5
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    I've been running 180mm cranks on my geared bikes for years, and naturally chose 180's for my entry into the SS world. I'd have liked to have found 185mm cranks, but wanted to keep costs down. The 180's are great on the SS.

    JMJ
    http://www.zinncycles.com/cranks.aspx offers custom length alloy cranks now to anyone (he previously only offered them to his frame customers) in virtually any length. A bit pricey, but they are aluminum and lighter than the BMX cranks which you can get in a lot of long lengths from http://www.profileracing.com. I a bit too much of a weight weanie to consider the BMX cranks.

  6. #6
    Birdman aka JMJ
    Reputation: Birdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    938

    Sweet cranks

    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    http://www.zinncycles.com/cranks.aspx offers custom length alloy cranks now to anyone (he previously only offered them to his frame customers) in virtually any length. A bit pricey, but they are aluminum and lighter than the BMX cranks which you can get in a lot of long lengths from http://www.profileracing.com. I a bit too much of a weight weanie to consider the BMX cranks.
    Pricey, but sweet. By the Zinn formula, I should be running +185mm crankarms. Something to think about...

    JMJ

  7. #7
    DSR
    DSR is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,056
    185 custom... coolio! S

  8. #8
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by DSR
    ...Man, what a difference!
    Long cranks aren't for everybody, but if your legs are long, they're the sh!t. I did last night's ride on 202mm cranks with a 36x20 gear, whereas normally I run a 34x20 (with my shorter 195mm cranks). Even though last night's gear was taller, the longer cranks were nonetheless easier to turn. I'm going to use an ever harder gear yet.

    They're not only longer, they're bigger around.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  9. #9
    Penis Goat!
    Reputation: GirchyGirchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    802
    You ain't lyin'! I always thought, "what the heck difference could 1cm between the two ends make?" Then I actually tried some on a recent ride. I didn't know they were 180mm at first, but could honestly tell a difference. Too bad I just bought some new 175's, or I'd go for some 180's.

    Hmm....using Zinn's calculators, I should be running some 192.5mm's. Eesh.

  10. #10
    Not a regular
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    Pricey, but sweet. By the Zinn formula, I should be running +185mm crankarms. Something to think about...

    JMJ
    And by using his calculation, I should be on 208 (or 202 conservatively)! That just seems freakin' long. And here I was thinkin about 185.

  11. #11
    Birdman aka JMJ
    Reputation: Birdman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    938

    More like 192mm to 197.5mm cranks, actually

    Sheesh... yep, that's freakin' long. It would be interesting to try though. Anybody know how to stretch 175mm cranks by 20mm a side? LOL

    JMJ

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    102

    What a difference 5mm makes!

    that's what she said.

  13. #13
    Not me
    Reputation: Surfpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    134

    Don't get it

    Okay, by his method my 30 incher, I mean inseam, calls for a 165 crank. I can't imagine that I should move from 175 to 165, I have not read the whole site yet. Does the formula only apply to those who need cranks beyond 175?

    I could see really long cranks if you're standing all the time but I'd think the sharp knee angle at the top of the stroke would be problematic.

  14. #14
    theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    Reputation: SDizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,131
    Zinn is HILARIOUS! For all he knows about bikes, he builds some of the ugliest bikes known to man. Probably ride like gold though, and fit perfect. Makes me feel scant at 6'3", too.

    Look at this Yao Ming-er:

    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."


    -The Good Doctor

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    83

    you messed me up

    I continue to get drawn into the dark side. I am still looking for the right combination. I am looking at the Truativ ss crankset that is a 180 crank and 33t ring. I rode the lower portion of Alpine on a ss for the first time a couple weeks ago on a 32/18. The first 3 miles of climbing were way too hard for my fat ass with that gearing. I didn't walk, though. The rest of the climb was ok but I was still pushing more than spinning. It looked like a 34/20 would be a better ratio. A 33/19 with 180mm cranks may be the right combination.

    I miss riding with you. You are like an idol to me just like Larry Flint.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Long cranks aren't for everybody, but if your legs are long, they're the sh!t. I did last night's ride on 202mm cranks with a 36x20 gear, whereas normally I run a 34x20 (with my shorter 195mm cranks). Even though last night's gear was taller, the longer cranks were nonetheless easier to turn. I'm going to use an ever harder gear yet.

    They're not only longer, they're bigger around.

    --Sparty

  16. #16
    meatier showers
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    7,330
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydown
    I miss riding with you. You are like an idol to me just like Larry Flint.
    I messed you up?

    Mission accomplished.

    Ha ha! All kidding aside, let's go riding, bro. It's been too long.

    I will even let you beat me.

    --Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

  17. #17
    Boone Titanium Rings
    Reputation: btboone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    14
    Cool! I made those original cranks for Zinn and his VeloNews article. I'm glad to see that they have been getting a workout. I had never heard back. Seems he liked the 202.3mm ones.

Similar Threads

  1. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 08:40 AM
  2. really a difference??
    By KRN in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2004, 04:35 AM
  3. Shifter pod: difference between M950 & 951?
    By maccuaill in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 07:04 AM
  4. 32 spokes V.S. 36 spokes on a 24/26 wheelset - big difference?
    By klein444 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 12:14 PM
  5. What makes a crankset better than the next?
    By keen in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-05-2004, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •