mtbr member

What chain tug and skewers are you using?

Got a set of wheels for my 29er SS... but they are QR hubs.

So, I have a chain tug with a 10mm axle opening, but if I got to QR I need one with a 6mm opening (I don't want to change the axles out).

As far as I know, the Surly Tuggnut is the only one that fits the bill, or are there others?

And what beefy QR skewers are you all running on your rear wheels with horizontal dropouts?

mtbr member
    I used these with a Tuggnut on my 1x1 and they worked great!

Halo Hex Key Skewer
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    mine are designed to be used with QR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    mine are designed to be used with QR.
    Thanks, that really helps

PS to say, why didn't you say you that you built custom tugs? I thought you were just being funny. I see them in your thread here.
    Custom titanium, alum, or SS singlespeed cogs, chainrings, & tensioners
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 09-20-2010 at 10:58 AM.

mtbr member
    ISAR's tugs work better with a QR than the Surly TuggNuts imho. ISAR's hold the wheel by the end of the axle, but the Surly tugs hold it by the end of the QR skewer. The Surly tug still holds it firm without slipping, but you inevitably end up with bent QR skewers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    ISAR's tugs work better with a QR than the Surly TuggNuts imho. ISAR's hold the wheel by the end of the axle, but the Surly tugs hold it by the end of the QR skewer. The Surly tug still holds it firm without slipping, but you inevitably end up with bent QR skewers
    Good info, I'll have a look at the ISARs

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog
    Thanks, that really helps

PS to say, why didn't you say you that you built custom tugs? I thought you were just being funny. I see them in your thread here.
    Custom titanium, alum, or SS singlespeed cogs, chainrings, & tensioners
    Doh! Sorry, sometimes i forget that not everyone on here knows i make this stuff.

As boomn said, mine grab the axle instead of the skewer. There are bosses that go into the slot of the dropout to accomplish this. Just make sure your dropouts are at least 5mm thick, which nearly all are. Also, make sure they aren't over 10mm thick, which i think only one frame that i know of is.

(thanks for the recommendation boomn)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Doh! Sorry, sometimes i forget that not everyone on here knows i make this stuff.

As boomn said, mine grab the axle instead of the skewer. There are bosses that go into the slot of the dropout to accomplish this. Just make sure your dropouts are at least 5mm thick, which nearly all are. Also, make sure they aren't over 10mm thick, which i think only one frame that i know of is.

(thanks for the recommendation boomn)
    PM sent. I like the idea of pulling on the axles, not the QRs.

FYI these will be for my Nashbar SS 29er, running WTB Laserdisc Trail 29's with Gravity hubs (bought lightly used off of a Motobecane Fantom Pro 29er). Should be a nice upgrade to the stock wheels that shipped with the bike.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I don't have ISARs tugs because I have sliders. I had redline tugs on my previous cog with some unknown QR and it didn't cause problems.

I'd buy ISARs because you can get the tugs in pink. (I'm assuming. My cog spider is, so...)