mtbr member

Weight Weenie S.S. chain, ?

It's time to replace my chain as I have a new cog and a new chain ring on the way.
    What's a weight weenie s.s. chain out there?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Interesting question I've searched and never found any reasonably light wider chains (3/16 or 1/8). The lighter 7-9 gear chains is an alternative if they fit your cog and ring. Last time I looked I ended up with YBN SL 901 at 255g or KMC X9 SL at 242g as alternatives. Still haven't bought any of them, but if I find a good half link to go with them it might be something for when the ice and snow is gone

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    look into some bmx chains... not sure if there are any crazy light ones out there but the bmx crowd (including myself) are suprisingly big weight weenies.... hope it helps

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Could not just leave this subject

Apparently YBN are doing a light Track chain called SL410 in 1/8", no weights...
    http://www.yaban.com/Process?tag=pro...prod_key=74878

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm all for light bikes, but the chain is THE one part of a bike I don't want to mess with. There are plenty of tough chains that are sorta light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    While I'm a total weight weenie but when single speeding I stretched the snot out of little chains and had to constantly adjust them after every couple of rides. I never broke one but there was always the chance. I went to the KMC Z710 SL Superlight Kool chain, I guess its light for a 1/8 chain, and have not had to adjust my chain since I put it on a few months ago. When it comes to chains heavier and dependable is OK for me.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...Kool-Chain.htm

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    gates carbon belt.Light and smooth like land o'lakes.

mtbr member
    most bmx guys swear by this chain: http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...0-HX-Chain.htm

not terribly light, but it's not over-built and it's definitely strong

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by 2times
    It's time to replace my chain as I have a new cog and a new chain ring on the way.
    What's a weight weenie s.s. chain out there?
    Everyone seems to think you want a 1/8" chain. If you do the Z710 SL is a pretty light; I got one in nitrite gold that is pretty cool. If OTOH you want 3/32 the whole world is open to you. KMC makes a Z610 SL, like the 710 but in 3/32. Also all 8-9-10 speed chains are all 3/32 so the KMC X10SL is pretty darn light..
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeylessChuck
    I'm all for light bikes, but the chain is THE one part of a bike I don't want to mess with. There are plenty of tough chains that are sorta light.
    +1. Lots of 'safer' places to save weight.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Technically you can run one of the 9 and 10 speed chains to save the most weight.

KMC will soon have the K810SL available stateside which has the weight of an 8speed chain but tons of strength.

mtbr member
    I would recommend a 710sl by KMC for a full SS set-up. I run one on my street/dj ride, and it has been SOLID. It is VERY VERY popular amoungst the BMX crowd for a good reason, its reasonably light, and if installed correctly very strong.

IMO, a chain is the last part I want breaking on me. I hate nutting myself on my stem...

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet
    gates carbon belt.Light and smooth like land o'lakes.
    Damn straight!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.