Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it

Weight and gearing?

I just rode my tried and true Santa Cruz chameleon 26" SS today. First time this year. Only because my new build, a 29 SS WW needed some tweaking.
    My question is: I put 29 together and wanted 36X18 which should have been same as my 26 SS w/ 36/16. i had to use 36/16 on 29er. Bike rode almost the same. My 29er is 3 lbs+ lighter and has wider handle bars. Could that have made the difference? If so, WOW.

mtbr member
    Lighter tires are easier to get rotating. Are your crank arms the same length? Longer can give you extra leverage. Maybe your under gearing on the 26? Bigger wheels carry more momentum? 3lbs is pretty good weight difference. Just not sure if its worth 2t.

reading comprehension wat
    Even very tiny differences add up.

This is an useless post, I know, 'cause I don't even understand what the topic is. New guy's perspective: he's got 2 SS bikes, with a new 29er setup that's 3 lbs lighter than the old 26" and claims it "rode almost the same" and pushes a higher gear. I can only guess what "rode almost the same" means. Taking the topic into consideration, you're concerned about weight and gearing, so I'm guessing they feel just as quick, light, agile, but maybe the 29er is far faster and that's why you're excited?
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post
    Even very tiny differences add up.

This is an useless post, I know, 'cause I don't even understand what the topic is. New guy's perspective: he's got 2 SS bikes, with a new 29er setup that's 3 lbs lighter than the old 26" and claims it "rode almost the same" and pushes a higher gear. I can only guess what "rode almost the same" means. Taking the topic into consideration, you're concerned about weight and gearing, so I'm guessing they feel just as quick, light, agile, but maybe the 29er is far faster and that's why you're excited?
    If you don't understand the topic, Why would you have replied. Thanks for your "new guy" perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    Lighter tires are easier to get rotating. Are your crank arms the same length? Longer can give you extra leverage. Maybe your under gearing on the 26? Bigger wheels carry more momentum? 3lbs is pretty good weight difference. Just not sure if its worth 2t.
    Same crank arms. 29er also has wider bars. It carries momentum and quick to get up to speed. I suspect it IS worth 2T.