Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ovaries on the Outside

We need new stickies

Since I do spend too much time on the internet, I am beginning to recognize the many irritating, repeated patterns that take place on the forums. A lot of them take place on the SS forum and are covered in the FAQ. Go to the vintage and whatever forums and they are anal as hell. I don't want to be that bad, but I get tired of how SS mirrors the 29er forum with repeated and inane queries that have been answered a lot. I have a couple proposals:

People start calling posters out- not to be jerks to the new members, or new SSers, but to keep the "Which chain/ratio" and "How do I get the right drivetrain/alignment" to maybe once a month rather than twice a week. Rather than answering, direct them to the FAQ

Make the FAQ a sticky. It contains a lot of information, but it is tucked up in the right corner. Stick it at the top and have something that says, "Read this first."

29er specific questioning. As far as I can figure out, there are no SS 29er specific chains, cranks, saddles, pedals or handlebars. So ok, this one is a pet peeve of mine that I should get over, but I hate seeing threads about handlebars for a SS rigid 29er. Flame me as needed.

More ideas, I'd love to see them. Maybe it is my concussion talking, but filtering out some of the mundane questions might make this forum a little more engaging and make it accessible for new members/SS riders, since they'll have soooo much information in a nice, easy to find bundle.

Obi
    mtbr member
    I second that!!

*Also, we also need steek-ers..make our's say "Angry SingleSpeeders" or just abbreviate in appropriate fashion.

Seriously though, the stickies do need some freshening up IMHO.
    You have given out too much Positive Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.
    Awesome!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Well, at the least it was a popular idea....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I agree, but usually people get mad at when I call someone out for asking a question for the 375230752093703th time just because they were too lazy to search.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Could point them to the FAQ and then lock the thread.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    where do i find ss specific shorts?....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    where do i find ss specific shorts?....
    For 26r SS Shorts ... http://www.roxy.com
    For 29r SS Shorts ... http://www.carhartt.com

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@

i lol'd
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Kicker of Elves
    I agree, sometimes I think this should be called the Jaberwocky sizing forum.

mtbr member
    +1 on your idea umarth.

I'd like to take it one step further though. It should be a requirement before an new account is provided, that the new dude/dudette read and give approval to a very short statement. In this statement it would read only:

"SEARCH FIRST BEFORE ASKING A SINGLE F'ing QUESTION. Thank you."

A bit strong? Perhaps. But I think it would cut down dramatically on the gear ratio and "best frame material" threads that pop up daily.

Rant off.

The Brutally Handsome
    Part of what makes this particular forum enjoyable over others is the laid-back friendliness people have here, and I'm not sure why we would risk taking that away by introducing new regulations. If you see a thread you don't like, just don't click on it, policing isn't necessary.

one chain loop

new stickies

i vote these three threads to be stickies:

Homemade SS Freewheels - step-by-step photo guide

Show off your Vintage SS Rigs

and one of the three "Post Your Singlespeed" threads..

The "New" Post Your Singlespeed!

Post your singlespeed!

Post your singlespeed!
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Kicker of Elves

I do like you said and just ignore them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    Part of what makes this particular forum enjoyable over others is the laid-back friendliness people have here, and I'm not sure why we would risk taking that away by introducing new regulations. If you see a thread you don't like, just don't click on it, policing isn't necessary.
    I agree and appreciate the friendliness of the SS forum too, but sometimes it is kind of frustrating to see the same stuff asked over and over. Especially when the answer is a few posts down on the same page or was just asked a day or two before.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler
    No policing, just make things a little more obvious. People are really, really stupid, so putting the FAQ- things that will answer most basic questions about SS, ranging from the conversion itself to troubleshooting- right at the top of the forum header can't hurt. Surprisingly, there isn't a huge to do about chains in the FAQ, so bumping a chain thread up there might make sense.

This is my complaint personified: right now there are two threads on chains on the front page right now that are covering the exact same thing, and one of the OPs for these threads made it 29er specific.

It waters down the thread quality and one has to wade through trying to find the thread where an answer is really needed, as opposed to the answer to the question that shouldn't have been asked.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Like Mr. Umarth said, I don't think it's about policing. It's about having a resource to point all the repeat threads to. That we one person answers, and then the thread starts it drop to page two.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm all for it too, as long as one the stickies addresses chain stretch -- I can't get enough of that debate.

mtbr member
    the first time i got on this forum, i did not see the SS FAQ hidden at the top corner of the screen. i expected it to be a sticky, but there was no FAQ sticky, so i started a new thread with some inane noob question, thus contributing to the problem. make a link to the FAQ a sticky right at the top and there will be no excuse.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Doesn't it say (Also see SS FAQ at top right of page)?
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

openwound
    I think it's a fine idea. It seems like folks just don't bother using search at all, nor do they apparently read the first page of recently/active threads because if they did, they'd see that their question was only recently addressed.

Not that I'm complaining. I'm simply agreeing with the OP. If we update the stickies, and make 'em clear, perhaps it'll make the forum a bit more user-friendly.

I'd suggest making the title of the sticky explicitly clear by including references such as: "How to..., chains, hubs, 26 or 29, which frame?, jabber sizing...". And then make sure that the little blurb that appears when you mouse-over says something like, "If you won't try search first, you'd do well to read this or the folks here will notify the internet police."

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The FAQ should definitely be a sticky... the much more obvious spot of being the first thread would help.

And if it makes anyone feel any better, when I built my SS I read the FAQ and didn't ask a single damn question

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i've been a member here for like 4 years and a regular poster, and i have never seen the FAQ page until this thread. It is not in a good spot to be seen.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_134
    Doesn't it say (Also see SS FAQ at top right of page)?
    What more is needed...it's in the title?
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

openwound
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    i've been a member here for like 4 years and a regular poster, and i have never seen the FAQ page until this thread. It is not in a good spot to be seen.
    Oh wow, I just noticed it, too. (but then I'm slow...)

I haven't been here as long but I always thought that folks were talking about the two stickies at the top of the thread list -- not a link stuck way up in the right hand corner. Those links just get lost in the noise of the site.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@

I believe you have that bass ackward
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    I believe you have that bass ackward
    It's ok, we can let the guys with the crutch think that they're more manly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast