Low Rep Count

WB Rock Solid question

Ok, so I have been thinking of making the jump to a 29er. I finally got to get on a ride on one a few weeks ago and really liked it. Since my 26" is about done and 26" is all I have ever known, I think I am ready to make the jump.

None the less, the plan would be to just swap out all my parts to a different frame, rebuild my wheels to some 29" hoops of some sort and get some tires and go ride. I would then rebuild the GT Peace back up with most of its stock parts barring a few things and try to sell it to recoup some funds.

Now, I have thought of this many times but the thought of having to buy a new frame right off the bat along with the wheels has simply slowed me down. Just not enough money right now to do all that. I know me, and I won't be happy with a run of the mill frame again so I want to get my hands on something a little nicer (or at least not chromoly anyway).

Now my question is this. White Brothers says that the fork (all sizes of forks will work with all sizes of wheels). When I bought my fork I asked them what size I should get coming from riding a Rock Shox Psylo that was always set at 80mm. I was told that the 445 would be the closest so that is what I went with. Hearing that this fork will work with a 29 I have a little more pep in my step at the moment.

I am planning to swing by my local shop and see if they will let me test fit a 29 front wheel off a floor bike on it to see what the clearance is on it (tire size vs fork). My real question that won't be able to be answered is what the handling will be like. Will this combo make for a down right scary fast handling set up? I mean like super squirly? Just cuious if any of you guys have a fork on your 29er that is close to the size if you will.

Teen Wolf
    i have a 445 on my 26" and yes, you can fit 29" tires. not sure off the top of my head how big you can go. but i ran my 29" front wheel on the 445 this summer w/ a 2.2 with a lot of clearance left.

Low Rep Count
    I currently run SS Race King tires in a 2.2 and would love to do the same on a 29 but they are pretty much comperable to a 2.4.

Teen Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    I currently run SS Race King tires in a 2.2 and would love to do the same on a 29 but they are pretty much comperable to a 2.4.
    go test it out for the hell of it if you want, but it will easily fit that tire.

as for the handling, i'm not sure. i have a 465 on my 29" and it works fine, not sure if the 445 would be super twitchy or what.

i ran the 29" on the 445 just to try a 96er setup this summer, worked fine, but i prefer the 29"

Low Rep Count
    I would think the 69er thing would just make the front of the bike feel like a chopper and it has never really been an option for me. I thought about going 650b but since I want a different frame I might as well go all the way.

Twitchy was the word I was looking for.

Teen Wolf
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    I would think the 69er thing would just make the front of the bike feel like a chopper and it has never really been an option for me. I thought about going 650b but since I want a different frame I might as well go all the way.

Twitchy was the word I was looking for.
    the 69er thing really wasn't too bad, but definitely wasn't awesome either... didn't feel that much different, the biggest difference was being back on my 26" and having it have a huge front wheel!

fwiw i run the 465 on a gf rig (genesis 1 geo).

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Handling depends on the design of the frame. In regards to 29ers, if the frame is designed around a 80mm travel fork, fitting our 465mm Rock Solid will net the same geometry as if the frame we're fitted with the 80mm fork and sagged ~20-25%. A frame designed around a 100mm fork will therefore be a little steeper than designed with same fork.

The 445 will likely steepen the HA of most 29er frames - a big reason the 465 is our best seller.

Hope that helps....

For reference I think most 29" 80mm suspension forks are in the ~490mm range (unsagged).
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Low Rep Count
    Sounds like I could maybe get away with it but for a very short term solution. A new fork will need to be procurred as well then. Hmmmmmm... I guess it could still be a build project none the less.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've ran a WB 445mm with Schwalbe RaRa 2.4x29 and WTB Weir 2.55x29 on my Salsa Selma, geometry and tire clearance worked fine for me, but I'm not real geo-picky.
    I am ridic.

Low Rep Count
    That is good to know. I would not say that I am a big geo freak either but I do like sharp quick steering vs the feeling of a long travel squish up front. So, I may just give it a shot and see how it feels. If I think it is something I can handle I will keep it if not, I will sell the fork and replace it. Sounds like the best option anyway.

Apr 2007
    If you're wanting to get away from steel, look at the Soul Cycles Dillinger. IIRC, it comes as a frame set, so you will at least have a 29er fork to compare the WB to.