Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Illegal Allien
    Sep 2004

The way of steel.

Greatings and salutations.

Plain and simple.

500.00 for a steel frame. Who gets your $? A little more $ is always a possibility if it's really worth it. Think 600ish or so...

Anyone?

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by SSPIN

Plain and simple.

500.00 for a steel frame. Who gets your $? A little more $ is always a possibility if it's really worth it. Think 600ish or so...

Anyone?
    For a little bit more I'd go with Walt from the 29er board. I think his frames are in the 6 range...or maybe Tom Teesdale.

Those are the only two I can think of in that price range. Ionic has been intentionally left out:-)

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Illegal Allien
    Sep 2004
    How about a Cove Handjob or Zion 853? They retail for 400ish but I haven't seen a lot of you guys speaking about those.

Medium?

Heavy(ish)

How about a Cove Handjob or Zion 853? They retail for 400ish but I haven't seen a lot of you guys speaking about those.
    You have to pay a few more $$$ to lighten the load. Disc or v-brakes? I love my Gunnar, but they don't have an EBB model. I also have a Jamis Dragon that would make a sweet SS with a White ENO disc hub. I got the Gunnar for $750 complete used, and the Dragon for about $400 for the frame.

Slow riding mama's boy

How about $510 for a complete bike?

Got thie sweet Gunnar for $510 on Ebay. LOVE it. Unfortunately, nothing's stock on it from when I bought it except the rear wheel. But after selling the old parts and such, I still got a SWEET deal, and the frame was maybe a couple hundred bucks, tops. I didn't like the color, but that's the price I paid to save some dollahz that paid for the xtr cranks and ti chainring!

Consider used. I'd HIGHLY recommend the Gunnar. My switchblade has been ridden three times max in the six months since I decided to "try" singlespeeding and picked up the Gunnar.

Here's the bike after the upgrades.

Joel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Illegal Allien
    Sep 2004
    Everything you see here will go on the new frame.

Down South Yooper
    What about a Surly? Either a 1x1 or a KM, been very impressed by mine, easily comparable to the other steel bikes i've owned, including a Fat Chance Wicked Light, a Bontrager Race, Brew 180 proof, Slingshot, etc. My KM is such a wonderful and comfortable bike, I would glady pay more (not that I'd want to).

Plum

indigosky
    Everything you see here will go on the new frame.
    What happened to the ti frame???

Illegal Allien
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by indigosky
    What happened to the ti frame???

I have three steel bikes that I love. There's not a single thing about it I'll change or upgrade. The way they ride and feel is exactly what I want and like.

The Ti frame doesn't quite give me that ride feel is all. A great bike for someone else, though. It's just not my cup of tea.

Witty McWitterson
    Yeah, *, what happened to the Ti?

For steel. Look at Teesdale. He used to make all the high end Kona's and Fishers. Know's what he's doing for sure. Or you can scour ebay for something sweet.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Teesdale

Make sure you get a completion date from Tom and add two months. I own a V brake one and earlier this year, I had Tom build me a disc brake, ebb one. I attempted to contact him several times via phone and email with no response once the delivery date passed (starting 30 days after the stated delivery date). He is very good at talking to you before the sale and not so good after you pay your deposit. I was worried that he actually went out of business or something bad happened to him. Turns out he is spending a lot of time building 3 wheeled trikes.

The bikes do ride very nice. I had him build me a fork for the V brake one and I like it better than the Vicious fork on the disc one (BTW, the V brake one is pretty obsolete these days).

I am hesistant to recommend him based on the extemely long wait period, but shorter than a Dean/Ionic. I am also hesistant to recommend him based on his not getting back to me in a timely manner. Same story with some other builders though . . . .

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT TOM'S PAINT: Just say no! His paint started chipping big-time on the first one right away. I have seen an example of the powder coating he has done for him and it is very lumpy. The disc brake one was delivered raw and finished for my by the Color Factory in New Jersey. I recommend you ask for a paint credit ($75 for a frame I think) and spend that money elsewhere for finishing.

I will try and post some pics if you are interested in seeing his work.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

teesdale issues

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on Tom Teesdale. The above issue is true, but let me explain. Tom is VERRY hard to track down over the phone and never return calls - EVER. But.....He returns emails with drawings, diagrams, and scientific rationale faster than you'd believe. This made me go with him. He delivered an excellent product. I was warned about his paint as well and I got him to powdercoat my frame for an extra fee (don't remember what, but it wasn't over 70 bucks). The powdercoat was perfect - no blemishes. The bike rode amazing - it was a cross bike & it felt like it had travel - I couldn't believe how smooth it rode. Highly recommend Tom. Excellent product, amazing price for product, and excellent email communication (just not over the phone lines....)

mtbr member

eye 2nd

Quote Originally Posted by Plum
    What about a Surly? Either a 1x1 or a KM, been very impressed by mine, easily comparable to the other steel bikes i've owned, including a Fat Chance Wicked Light, a Bontrager Race, Brew 180 proof, Slingshot, etc. My KM is such a wonderful and comfortable bike, I would glady pay more (not that I'd want to).

Plum
    I second that comment. Surly ROCKS!

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I second that comment. Surly ROCKS!
    i vote surly, too. i miss my surly and wish I hadn't gotten the upgrade itch...had it worked easier with discs i'd probably still be riding it.

that said, it rode just as swell as my 800 dollar more expensive Vicious.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Let's not forget Vulture!
    Attached Images Attached Images

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Let's not forget Vulture!
    Isn't vulture something like 600 dollars more than he wants to spend?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Second the teesdale

I had tom build me a fork - he replied to emails promptly with drawings and techno babble - usually within the same day. He delivered the fork within one week of his quoted time which can be considered early compared to other custom builders.
    Bottom line is that I am very pleased with his product and price.

Paul at Peyto was good too but his Foco frames are going for 900 cnd (750ish)

If you decide to go prebuilt I'd say get an on-one inbred - I think they go for around 400 bucks? Brant?

mtbr member

Plain and simple.

Anyone?
    how about a med surly 1x1 excelent condition at half what you want to spend!
    add #81880

mtbr member

I would look...

for a used Spot myself. Love my Spot, ride quality is incredible and the handling nice and quick.

Plain and simple.

Anyone?

Irish Stew

Ionic

[SIZE=4]Hey, I got my IONIC Johnny Rotten the other day UPS only 2 weeks late ( I was counting on a few months..) John & the Aussy guy were very nice & I gotta say up-front about whole deal..Will post pics soon..should be built up by the spring (Im POOR) 580 with Disc & EBB & shipping..nice frame. [/SIZE]

Illegal Allien
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    how about a med surly 1x1 excelent condition at half what you want to spend!
    add #81880

Thanks, man, but I'm 6' 2" so I need a large. I appreciate the offer, though.

Illegal Allien
    Sep 2004
    How about a used On One...are those any good?

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy
    You have to pay a few more $$$ to lighten the load. Disc or v-brakes? I love my Gunnar, but they don't have an EBB model. I also have a Jamis Dragon that would make a sweet SS with a White ENO disc hub. I got the Gunnar for $750 complete used, and the Dragon for about $400 for the frame.
    gunnar is doing EBB now. there is one on the speedgoat website. the wait time is not bad at all, from what I hear. $900 retail... check a local dealer and maybe you can work something out.
    check out gunnarbikes.com and go down to color of the month. if you like any of those colors, it's no upcharge. some are sweet. my buddy got one in the metallic chameleon (geared road bike).
    If you like purple, they have a nice metallic purple. the charcoal silver looks nice, but hard to see in the pic.
    If gunnar ever offers a three color red-gold-green fade as color of the month, I am getting one (fixie), dont care what I have to sell.
    Only boring people get bored.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    Isn't vulture something like 600 dollars more than he wants to spend?
    I don't know, but in my case, it's worth it.
    For $500 though, you aren't getting "custom" you're getting not manufactured by a big company, it seems.

You get what you pay for!

mtbr member

Plain and simple.

Anyone?
    Based on your other three bikes (Sara, KHS, roadie) whos rides you really enjoy, going used is going to be your best bet. Typically what you will get new for $500 is steel with thicker walled tubes (maybe even some non-butted tubes), just because the builder can't afford higher end tubing. These frames will ride nothing like any of your other three bikes, all of which have smallish diameter thin walled, heavily butted tubes.

Used for sure...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast