mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Wanting to get into singlespeed

My geared full suspension mountain bike has seen its last day. Being that I am tired of my gears messing up and that I have a limited cash fund, I have decided to purchase a single speed. I was looking for any suggestions as to what I should do? I could probably gather $500 (donating plasma and such), but I know little about single speeds and do not know where I should be looking. So far, I have looked at (1) the Karate Monkey frame, (2) the Specialized Hard Rock SS, and (3) the Fetish Fixation. Unfortunately none of the bike shops in my area carry singlespeeds, so I will have to make a blind purchase.

I appreciate any input.

Recovering couch patato
    Welcome to the forums!
    The Karate Monkey obviously will require you to buy 700c wheels and 29" tires as well, but don't let that hold you back, it's a great bike.
    With some looking around, you may also find a Rig frame used or as new in the MTBR Classifieds or on eBay. Same thing, you'll need 29" wheels, plus a fork, but very nice indeed. The alu Rig is ~1.5lb lighter than the steel Karate Monkey.

Good luck, enjoy the simplicity of a functioning bike and increased grin factor!

J

mtbr member
    There are options on eBay and on the MTBR classifieds as Cloxxki said.

If you'll have to donate plasma and sell your body to raise funds why don't you convert your geared bike and give singlespeeding a try before commiting your hard earned cash on a dedicated SS.

If you're still going to buy, try to get a steel frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Again, nothing constructive to add other than "It's the sh!t, Bro!"
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by TTULaw
    My geared full suspension mountain bike has seen its last day. Being that I am tired of my gears messing up and that I have a limited cash fund, I have decided to purchase a single speed. I was looking for any suggestions as to what I should do? I could probably gather $500 (donating plasma and such), but I know little about single speeds and do not know where I should be looking. So far, I have looked at (1) the Karate Monkey frame, (2) the Specialized Hard Rock SS, and (3) the Fetish Fixation. Unfortunately none of the bike shops in my area carry singlespeeds, so I will have to make a blind purchase.

I appreciate any input.
    HOw far gone is your suspension bike? Can you slavage the wheels, handlebars, seat and post, stem, etc. You might be able to get away with just getting a frame, and building it up wit the componenets you already have. Occasionally, you can find used single speed specific frames in the classifieds here for reasonable cash. There are also some new frames and bikes that are reasonable (IRO, redline, etc.) With a little wrenching and some luck finding a frame that fits you could be back on the trail in no time.