mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Want to build a singlespeed

I am new to the forum and want to build a single speed bike. I currently have an old Raleigh bike that I want to convert it has a shimano 8-speed cog on the back and I was wondering what the best/reasonable priced conversion kit would be and tensioner to buy would be. The frame has vertical drop outs. I also want to get a new chain ring for the front and bash gaurd as well, Its a 5-arm crank so any suggestions would be greatly apperciated for the bash gaurd and chain ring. I would like to get this build asap.

Thanks

Kerry

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    Hi Vent, my suggestion for the rear is to buy a cheap kit from price point to determine which ratio works best for you, it's like $12 or something like that. As for the bash guard, check out purelycustom.com for some possibilities as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks what brands would you suggest. Swaping out rear chain rings isnt a big deal, I just want to buy good quality stuff from the get go. How is the Gusset 1er kit and the Surly conversion kit. Or is there any other quality kit that you would recommend.

mtbr member
    In my experience, bashguards are a bit of a waste of time on a SS - the chain does a pretty good job of protecting the chainring anyway and a bashguard just collects a lot of debris between it and the chainring, if you ride anywhere muddy and makes for harder cleaning.
    If you really want one, then BBG are as good as any and cheaper than most.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    cool thanks for the info on the bash gaurd. But I still need to figure out what is the best quality/priced coversion kit. I dont want a cheap one that will get trashed I want one that will last. I am liking the Chris King rear cog and the surly conversion kit. not sure about a tensioner and what would be a good front chain ring to run?

mtbr member
    What crank is it? You may be able to easily get away with reusing the middle ring

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    its a old surgio or something like that I cant remember off the top of my head. its a 5 arm crank but i think im going to hold of on the front chain ring or get a cheap one im lookin into getting a race face evolve single speed crank but i still need to tackle the back of the bike. I kinda want to go with middle to high end gear.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by ventovr614
    cool thanks for the info on the bash gaurd. But I still need to figure out what is the best quality/priced coversion kit. I dont want a cheap one that will get trashed I want one that will last. I am liking the Chris King rear cog and the surly conversion kit. not sure about a tensioner and what would be a good front chain ring to run?
    I would recommend the DMT STS Tensioner, and an assortment of cogs
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...nglespeed.aspx

I'd get 16,17,18 and 20.

I started out with a cheapo Forte' tensioner kit, and it was loud and kept falling apart. This DMT one required a little more in the way of initial setup (I have funky dropouts that needed some filing down), but it is FAR superior to the other spindly spring-loaded ones.

SS-tensioner.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've got a white industries Eno eccentric rear wheel up for grabs...$125. not sure if want to invest just yet, but just a thought. i also have a white industries front wheel too, if you wanted to match and all...$100

mtbr member
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/178...d-Crankset.htm

This race face is a good bet...what size is your BB?

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    I would recommend the DMT STS Tensioner, and an assortment of cogs
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...nglespeed.aspx

I'd get 16,17,18 and 20.

I started out with a cheapo Forte' tensioner kit, and it was loud and kept falling apart. This DMT one required a little more in the way of initial setup (I have funky dropouts that needed some filing down), but it is FAR superior to the other spindly spring-loaded ones.
    Love that grooved roller tensioner with the push up (instead of pull down) for better chain wrap around the rear cog! Too bad it's not spring-loaded.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Too bad it's not spring-loaded.
    Yeah - you have to add a 5mm hex wrench to your "Blowout Bag", just in case...

But I think it's actually easier to get the wheel off with the DMT than it was to try and work around the spring loaded jobbie.

I do have a WI ecc disc and front hub waiting to get built, but I managed to have the rims and spokes shipped to the wrong address.. so it'll be a few more days. The tensioner's great for deciding if you want to get involved in this whole SS thing, but the hub is the way to go.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ravencrow
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/178...d-Crankset.htm

This race face is a good bet...what size is your BB?

not sure i have to get that checked the bike is from the mid 90's i believe its the raliegh m-700 frame or something like that. If that would not fit what would you recomend for a crank. I do need a new one i stripped the bike last night and it was tweaked pretty good.

one chain loop
    i bet the bb shell is 68mm, outboard bearings are the way to go, but if you are in a budget, just replace those old square tapered bb's with un-72.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What would be the best way to tell what the size of the bb shell is? measure it or take it to a shop. I really like that race face crank I hope that will work

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by ventovr614
    What would be the best way to tell what the size of the bb shell is? measure it or take it to a shop. I really like that race face crank I hope that will work
    The best way to tell would be to measure it.

That RF crank will work with either 68mm or 73mm shells.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    cool thanks I think i know what way im going to go with my build. some stuff from psyclestore.com and the race face crank