mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Voodoo Titanium ZAKA Single Speed

I am looking for a Ti true SS mountain bike frame. Is the ZAKA ti frame a well known SS frame. I have also looked into the Lynskey but it is more $$. There are some used one also. Salsa has a Ti frame also.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Which manufacturers warranty their frames? I break most frames eventually, so this is more important to me than the brand name. I would love to get Ti frame, but will not spend the $. Good luck!

The perfessor
    I shopped for over a year to find a deal on a Ti frame, then ran it SS for 4 months before converting it to geared..........got a Motobecane 29er Fly Ti for $550...........was awesome.........
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_chrome View Post
    I shopped for over a year to find a deal on a Ti frame, then ran it SS for 4 months before converting it to geared..........got a Motobecane 29er Fly Ti for $550...........was awesome.........
    Why did you go geared? Did you run s a rigid?

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    how do you define "true" rigid SSer? for me that would include a short AC. Also EBB or sliders.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

One front chainring, one rear cog.

Any frame, any person. If you climb hills with no derailler, you are single speeding. Enjoy the pain. Enjoy the simplicity. Fancy frames are sweet if you have the dough, but do not discount the people working hard with what they have!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The dropout system on the zaka is less than desirable. Myself and a friend each got one and we had tons of problems. I sold mine because it worked so poorly. My buddy broke his frame before he got a chance to sell it. One thing to consider is frame geometry can play just as a big of role has frame material. I got a steel frame after the zaka and it rode much nicer than the titanium.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    I am looking for a Ti true SS mountain bike frame. Is the ZAKA ti frame a well known SS frame. I have also looked into the Lynskey but it is more $$. There are some used one also. Salsa has a Ti frame also.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Cheap stock 29er Ti frames with decent geo and setup fo SS will not be easy to find. I haven't seen one at least. If you can find a frame with BB30 you can put a EBB in it.

You can go custom but yes it will cost more. Chinese or russian custom will cost less and could be an option for you. This direction needs you to know your gear though IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    The dropout system on the zaka is less than desirable. Myself and a friend each got one and we had tons of problems. I sold mine because it worked so poorly. My buddy broke his frame before he got a chance to sell it. One thing to consider is frame geometry can play just as a big of role has frame material. I got a steel frame after the zaka and it rode much nicer than the titanium.
    Thank you for the information, I will stay away from that frame. I do not want to use a EBB or tensioner so frames are limited.

Trail Junkie
    Carver, Triton, or Habanero bikes may be able to meet your needs. Otherwise...
    Its a tall order for a "budget" titanium frame with sliders..especially handmade in the U.S.

There is a saying "Buy once, Cry once"
    My Lynskey Pro29SL was expensive, but coming from someone that typically buys a new bike every year.....I don't perceive replacing this bike for a very very long time. It is the best riding stock HT frame I have ever swung my leg over! I have rode a Moots, DiSalvo and Ericksen customs and they are very good. For my riding style and having the stiffness where I need it, there isn't a stock frame that matches the performance of the Pro29SL for the price! That said...I haven't rode a FORM Prevail....but I got a pretty good discount on my Lynskey so really it wasn't an option in terms of price.

Also, if this is a Christmas present....I think Bikebling.com has a coupon deal for 15% off with coupon code "HOLIDAY15", it may be applicable to their Lynskey frames.

Additionally, if you are looking for a custom Titanium frame handmade in the USA, and you can swing $2300. I wouldn't think twice about giving Scott (owner) at Quiring cycles a call. He does amazing work with amazing value with a very quick turn-around!
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I second Scott...my Quiring Ti 29er is awsome. Best thing about going custom with a good builder is that they can advise how to put your frame together for your particular use.